Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times

Advertisements

^^Do me a favor and skip the answer a question with a question tactics. You made the ludicrous statement that people were leaving Cincinnati for the suburbs because they disagree with the local government. I guess you can't back that claim up, eh?

Oh, and 50 years or more of census data in no way proves your ludicrous point. What is that anyway? Oh I know. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with....ya you get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM

800 posts, read 951,900 times
Oh boy you save $700 per year in taxes living in effing Fairfield -- this is laughable when you can live in Cincinnati and not own a car or in my case own a high mileage clunker that sits out on the street for weeks without moving. The savings in transportation costs alone offset that tax difference. My car's been parked on city streets every night for the past 5 years and hasn't been broken into.

So how come all these Tea Partiers, with all their common sense financial wisdom, choose to live in places that force them to drive everywhere?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi TomJones123--

How many millions of dollars were blown on the Paul Brown stadium deal?

How many millions are being blown on the streetcar?

How many millions were blown on the unused Riverfront Transit Center?
Hi hensleya1--

Paul Brown Stadium had the full support of and was being pushed by the local GOP base, which includes your buddies in COAST. Furthermore, you say you want amenities. Would you have preferred to lose our local NFL team altogether and be a one-team town? I guess so, since you'd also prefer a city without public rail transit.

Money being spent on the streetcar is hardly being "blown." Again, look at the hundreds of millions already being invested along the streetcar route as we speak. It is an amenity that young college grads will demand when choosing where they want to live. If we don't have it, they'll go elsewhere and our companies will suffer greatly. Firms are already having a hard time attracting talent here because we currently lack things like public rail transit. Don't believe me? Look at the cities college grads are, in fact, flocking to and see what they have that we don't. Hint: It's not interstate highways.

Finally, the Riverfront Transit Center will be used. It was wise to build it at the only time we possibly could have. It helped to lift The Banks out of the floodplain. Perhaps you've noticed how popular The Banks are? When light rail is added and uses the RTC, it will be nothing short of a gem for this entire region.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Oh boy you save $700 per year in taxes living in effing Fairfield -- this is laughable when you can live in Cincinnati and not own a car or in my case own a high mileage clunker that sits out on the street for weeks without moving. The savings in transportation costs alone offset that tax difference. My car's been parked on city streets every night for the past 5 years and hasn't been broken into.

So how come all these Tea Partiers, with all their common sense financial wisdom, choose to live in places that force them to drive everywhere?

Nice points. Hey, can you summarize some of Cincinnati's population loss reasons for our new found friend here?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:

I guess it is called Personal Freedom. BTW. I work as a courier. I deliver medical products (TPN) that help keep patients alive. Without my car well, you get the picture...

Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Without my car well, you get the picture...
No one is anti car. But people are denying obvious benefits of rail transit that enables more personal freedom. However, there are anti-rail folks.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^Do me a favor and skip the answer a question with a question tactics. You made the ludicrous statement that people were leaving Cincinnati for the suburbs because they disagree with the local government. I guess you can't back that claim up, eh?

Oh, and 50 years or more of census data in no way proves your ludicrous point. What is that anyway? Oh I know. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with....ya you get it.
Hi TomJones123--

50 years of Census data proves my point exactly - people simply don't want to live there anymore. But given how quickly the suburbs are growing, the Cincinnati metro area itself isn't unattractive - it's the city itself. You still haven't addressed the far, far lower costs of living in the suburbs, either

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
Quote:
Flashes, you are a fool.
I may be a fool, but I analyze multi-million dollar business propositions on a daily basis......and I know a self-sufficient business model when I see one, and the SF-LA rail line ain't gonna be self-sufficient.....not even close. I am grounded in economic reality...where revenues must exceed expenditures or it's game over....whereas most big spending liberals, including seemingly all the rail zealots, live in some kind of warped reality where money is not something earned, but something won from the government, who themselves took it from tax payers who worked for it.

Jerry Brown's model makes no sense. First, why doesn't he tackle the smaller lines that connect the city centers to the outlying populations who have the economic means and need to use rail transit? That would help alleviate traffic congestion....and arguably more importantly, you gain valuable knowledge how to build and operate such a business endeavor when the financial stakes are much lower.

Then once you master that process and the rail line(s) are self-supportive, you tackle the big project of connecting major cities to these commuter lines....this is where the big money and big risk is involved. But you don't start in the major leagues....you start way down low to build your skills and knowledge. Instead Jerry Brown, who's never run a business in his life, wants to roll the dice on a $100 billion project. Sorry Jerry, but no one but the liberal idiots in Sacramento will support you. Where's the private investment? If there was money to be made....they would be there. Where's the federal government who's currently run by fellow big spending liberals? They've already run from this thing because they see how f'd up it is.

I know the rail-zealots want to believe that there's going to be this huge exodus from the suburbs to the city centers.....but it ain't happening for a million reasons. The big money makers and their families live in the suburbs.....those are the only people that are going to make your dream of mass rail transit a reality and until you make it more convenient, economical and faster for someone to get from the suburbs of LA to the suburbs of San Fran. it's not going to work without major government subsidies which can't continue.

Please stop embarassing yourselves and pontificating that the rail zealots are more somehow more worldly and travel savvy because you've been to Europe and rode the trains. Great. You've been to Paris and Amsterdam and road the trains. Color me impressed. If you really have been there (and again I'm really impressed if you have----must be the only Americans who've gone to Europe) you should know how tiny European countries with their 1-3 major cities are about the size of Ohio.

If the liberals, and admittedly many foolish Republicans, keep spending money America doesn't have, the problems of Greece and Spain will be on our shores. Actually, the damage has already been done. The federal deficit is already so big......there's no way to stop the effects of compound interest (the 8th wonder of the world). You will see social unrest like you've never seen before. There's so many people sucking off the governemnt's teat, they no longer know how to live independently of the modern slave master. The United States federal government. Thanks LBJ. What a great society you built.

Last edited by flashes1; 07-26-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No one is anti car. But people are denying obvious benefits of rail transit that enables more personal freedom. However, there are anti-rail folks.
Hi TomJones123--

The strictly anti-rail folks almost certainly have skewed personal reasons or selfish financial motives for their opposition. They all know public rail transit will be the highly successful game-changer here as it is elsewhere. That's why they foam at the mouth to keep it out - once it's up and running and popular, they know there's no going back.

They can't un-ring the bell, so they fight hard to keep the bell from being made.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
I fully expect that Cincinnati and Dayton area to be an CSA when reclassification happens in 2013. Being a MSA may take a bit longer. Maybe 2033. Im sure definitions will change by that time. Cincinnati and Dayton was slated be one single urban area this year but at the last moment they changed the definition. Mainly because of the NYC Philly merger. I suspect they need more time to better define urbanized area's and their ramifications. Philly would throw a big fit if they were merged with NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati