Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 AM

15 posts, read 26,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Sad word from a "Louisvillain" friend is that Ollie's closed earlier this year. Luckily I got to partake of one of their dee-licious burgers as well as those oh-so-good spicy fries while in town for Thunder Over Louisville in 2008. On occasion in days long past I, too, patronized the location in downtown Cincinnati. And still longer ago I was a regular at a "Trolley" on South Limestone in Lexington while taking summer courses at UK. It's anybody's guess as to how many decades ago that one bit the dust. But take heart! To this day the ketchup-red lettering on a mustard-yellow background beckons the lunch-starved at the corner of 13th and H Streets in Washington DC. Though in the lobby of a grimy "budget" hotel and not in a replica streetcar, the place is otherwise the real McCoy. If only they sold BASKETS of fries instead of those teeny bags' worth...
Nowadays in Cincinnati there's a place that calls itself Ollie's Trolley and may even be in one of their trademark structures. It's on the "frontier" between OTR and the West End, probably safe from encroaching gentrification for the foreseeable future. But scarcely a word's been heard about the junk-food offerings I fondly associate with the chain. Most of the publicity about them is around the holidays when the raves about their deep-fried turkey start anew. Beyond that my sense is that what's on the menu is an approximation of soft-core soul food (no chitlins or chicken necks.)

My favorite hamburger to purchase away from home in Cincinnati, as of this year (note the age of this thread), isn't on the menu of any restaurant. Those who are in the neighborhood and in the know descend eagerly upon the Wyoming Meat Market on the street of the same name in the town of the same name on sunny days. Far more often than not, some of the guys from the shop are working up a serious sweat over Weber kettle grills on the sidewalk in front. "While you wait" they'll cook to perfection a generous-sized puck of FRESH ground bovine. Onions, cheese, pickles, etc? Ask and you shall receive. That there's some good eatin'!

For "dining in" - bear in mind I still haven't experienced Quatman Café - I cast my lot with the Gas Light in Pleasant Ridge.
I have a full bag of the spice mix in the fridge. I haven't cooked one in a while. It would take 2.5 minutes on a George Forman Grill. I would use one teaspoon of spice mix. A perfect mold for the burger of the correct size is the top of a Folger's Instant Coffee jar. There would be a lot of fat left over.

In the interim I have been eating a lot of Old Timers at Chilie's. I used to eat a lot of their steak sandwiches also, but they are no longer on the menu. I always had the burgers and steaks cooked rare. Which is why I had a double bypass in 2001. I lived in California for a while, and they passed a law against rare burgers. I live in Arizona now and can once again get a rare Old Timer.

I could never tolerate the Ollie fries. That cayenne pepper made my nose run. They made great shakes also.

The other burger that I greatly miss from Cincinnati is White Castles. I can get them for the microwave, but they are just not the same.

ax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Formerly the best burger in Cincinnati could have been found at Sleepy Hollow Inn in Branch Hill. I am a fan of hand-packed patties, not the pre-formed discs that come frozen from Sysco or another provider. The Hollow did it right. The patties were always irregular, often cracked in many places, and always requiring you to unhinge your jaw to take down the first bite.

The best burger on the menu was the Wisconsin Burger which was well over 1/2 pound and while they never listed their burger weights I would bet it was closer to 2/3 lbs. What made the Wisconsin burger was the fistfull of shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese that was dropped on the beef as it came off the grill. This would melt and run down the sides of the patty and onto the lower bun. The beef was always cooked with a slight char around the edges and tender and juicy on the inside. Add lettuce, red onion, a tomato slice, and a pickle wedge and you were all set for under $6.

A couple of years back the owner Dick passed away and his daughter inherited the place. She eventually sold to a group of wanna-be restauranteers (6 in total - 3 couples) who apparently enjoyed getting high on their own supply and spent night after night at their bar. They changed the decor, ditched the Xmas lights that had been there since 1991, scrapped the menu and jacked up the prices, and eventually sold the place after a year or two. I forget the name of the new place and while it's better than the second act it can't hold a candle to original Sleepy Hollow Inn.

Sleepy Hollow Inn - Symmes - Loveland | Urbanspoon

Other than the burgers the Hollow was known for having the best Mexican pizza in town (aka: cheese crisp) and also for being frequented by UC headcoach Bob Huggins from time to time.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I have to agree that a microwaved White Castle just does not cut it. Can't tell much difference between the cardboard wrapper and the sandwich.

I love the distinct taste of a White Castle, but it only holds true in its native environment. That little hole filled patty grilled on a bed of onions with the bun to soak up the grease. I love them, but only fresh off the grill.

There seems to be an explosion of burger joints, Five Guys, Smashburger, Flipdaddy's (terrible, price and quality), etc. I hate to see the simple burger again taking it on the chin. Some of the burgers are OK but the surroundings are strictly pedestrian.

Five Guys, the potato sacks lying around the establishment I guess are to convey the image of your French fries. Yes, they are thick fries and reasonably tasty. But they are also pricey enough. Hamburger and fries, that is reasonably the extent of your entire menu. If I would like something more diversitified to sattisfy the family you are not it.

The burger is an American icon, and when equipped with everything people like, let's see cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, mushroom, and whatever I have left out. Oh yes, let's see ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, tarter sauce, etc.

I still like a White Castle. When we have gone to Florida usually stop in NKY for a big sack of White Castles. Tell the family make them last until we stop at the Motel in Georgia tonight. Yes I am a skinflint and White Castle was a skinflint meal.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Terry' Turf Club is king in Cincinnati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESHHxN8ObM

Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Formerly the best burger in Cincinnati could have been found at Sleepy Hollow Inn in Branch Hill.
Wow. There's a blast from the past.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM

221 posts, read 336,321 times
For me, Five Guys is just not worth the money. The burger and fries are OK but not good enough to justify the price. I guess they try to make-up for it by giving you a good quantity of fries but still...... They certainly expanded across the country rapidly enough and it'll be interesting to see if they're still around in five years. I can't help wonder if they're going to collapse from the "expanding too much, too fast syndrome."

Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Bob Evans makes the best cheeseburgers IMO.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGl View Post
For me, Five Guys is just not worth the money. The burger and fries are OK but not good enough to justify the price. I guess they try to make-up for it by giving you a good quantity of fries but still...... They certainly expanded across the country rapidly enough and it'll be interesting to see if they're still around in five years. I can't help wonder if they're going to collapse from the "expanding too much, too fast syndrome."
You can subsidize the cost of the burgers by stocking up on the free peanuts as you enter the joint...

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Default Frisch's Big Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
^
You know, Frisch's does have its place. There are times when I crave a Big Boy with onion rings. It doesn't come about very often but sometimes that is all I need.

Speaking of burgers at home, I don't know if this is a regional thing or what but when I go to visit the inlaws in Southern Indiana, they have this thing called, "meat mix". From what I gather it is ground beef and ground pork mixed together with some seasonings. My wife hates it but the few times I have had it, I can say it's different and interesting and not too bad.
Although I grew up with Shoney's Big Boy in the South, I always preferred Frisch's Big Boy as my favorite. I liked the tartar sauce better than the thousand island, which is still used at the corporate Big Boy locations in Michigan. I just wish they would allow Frisch's to expand outside of Ohio and Kentucky, since Big Boy is much missed in southern markets since Shoney's separated years ago. And the corporate chain doesn't seem to be doing very well outside of Michigan, and a few Bob's Big Boys in California. I think Frisch's would do well in Knoxville, Asheville, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte and Atlanta. And West Virginia. So Frisch's should be able to expand their territory since Big Boy corporate of Michigan is not currently doing so. They (Frisch's) have a more streamlined menu and a drive-thru, and their Big Boy is a great sandwich.

Last edited by tylerSC; 05-02-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Also enjoy White Castle when the craving strikes. But here in SC I have to settle for Krystal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati