Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:38 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And just what about the economic benefits of the Reds and Bengals is clear? Some so-called studies coming out of the likes of the University of Cincinnati where they scribble down some numbers and project others with no specific verification just to satisfy their mandate to publish does not satisfy me.

If a stadium vote was taken today, I agree it would go down in flames. Our population is asked to pay taxes for the stadiums and then presented ticket prices so they cannot afford to go and attend. Now that is a real public benefit.

As for the CSO, we are fortunate to have some wealthy families who have supported the arts in Cincy for a long time. Without them the major arts would have folded a long time ago. I applaud those who have elected to make the arts community their philanthropy. This helps to elevate life in Cincy as a whole in areas which the general populace would be hard pressed to contribute enough support.

You're right. The Economics Center for Education and Research at the University of Cincinnati is a rag-tag operation with no basis to study such things as economic impact in the city it calls home and does little more than "scribble down some numbers."

And if those skewed numbers show a massive economic impact felt in this metro from the Reds and Bengals, well, they're clearly flawed and should be ignored.

It's far better to just make blind generalizations and wild assumptions based upon gut feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
You're right. The Economics Center for Education and Research at the University of Cincinnati is a rag-tag operation with no basis to study such things as economic impact in the city it calls home and does little more than "scribble down some numbers."

And if those skewed numbers show a massive economic impact felt in this metro from the Reds and Bengals, well, they're clearly flawed and should be ignored.

It's far better to just make blind generalizations and wild assumptions based upon gut feelings.
Sounds like a Colbert line, "I don't use my brain, I use my gut".

I want to know what has happened in society where scholars are demonized for what they do? Is it because certain people don't like the answer they give so they can't be right? Who should do the survey? Some jerk on the street asking random people if they are from out of town?

Seriously, UC Economics Center - the place that gets awards for being the top economic education center in the country is somehow wrong in their studies? Please.

Last edited by deg1114; 12-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Let's try a cleaner word...

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
UC Economics Center - award winning? Awards presented by who? - others in the same line in other universities? This idea of evaluation by your peers is often no more than self-inflating ego-pumping for mutual self-gratification and importance. We have to pump up the importance to get more public grants on which to survive.

As far as scholars, to me a Welder who has studied and learned how to apply all of the various techniques to weld material together by actually doing it, experiencing the successes and failures, what works and what does not, is far more of a scholar than one who just observes from the sidelines.

One of our problems today is the ratio of productive to non-productive people. Sorry, but the number of Think-Tanks, pure lobbyists, and other non-productive organizations to me are a bane on our society. In todays world they can construct a web site and on the surface appear to be a really intelligent operation. But I have noticed they are very careful in limiting the information as to who they actually are and where the funding is coming from.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
UC's involvement in the Paul Brown Stadium promotion was a scandal not a credential. People in the know at UC disclaim it today as ill advised, embarrassing. They were instrumental in creating one of the worst public finance decisions ever made anywhere. Despite his bluff, Mike Brown wasn't going anywhere. He would have built it himself. Everyone knows that today.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
UC Economics Center - award winning? Awards presented by who? - others in the same line in other universities? This idea of evaluation by your peers is often no more than self-inflating ego-pumping for mutual self-gratification and importance. We have to pump up the importance to get more public grants on which to survive.
You're so right. In fact, I am going to return that 'employee of the month award'. You know, the one where my peer acknowledge that I am really good at what I do and know my stuff.

Don't need no fancy skool peeples to tell me 'bout no ekonomiks.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
You're so right. In fact, I am going to return that 'employee of the month award'. You know, the one where my peer acknowledge that I am really good at what I do and know my stuff.

Don't need no fancy skool peeples to tell me 'bout no ekonomiks.
I expect this is your attempt at levity, or humor. But your exact phrasing is about equal to what comes out of the Think-Tanks, maybe better since a higher percentage of people can interpret the meaning.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM

^ Except for the fact that it is not a think tank - it's a university which studies economic theories and polices. A think tank is an organization has has some sort of political agenda. But whatever man, go with what you believe I guess.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 AM

350 posts, read 880,018 times
It's so tiring thinking about Mike Brown, the deal he got, his utter incompetance (at anything other than his bottom line), stubbornness. I like the Bengals but I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Bengals closed up shop here. Not saying it would be better for the city, it's just anything associated with Mike Brown equals FAIL. PB Stadium would be great for UC games and big local High School match-ups, summer concerts, whatever. What if the county got all of the ticket sales?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
It's so tiring thinking about Mike Brown, the deal he got, his utter incompetance (at anything other than his bottom line), stubbornness. I like the Bengals but I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Bengals closed up shop here. Not saying it would be better for the city, it's just anything associated with Mike Brown equals FAIL. PB Stadium would be great for UC games and big local High School match-ups, summer concerts, whatever. What if the county got all of the ticket sales?

Crooked politician Bob Bedinghaus and his cohorts negotiated a deal against legal advice whereby Mike Brown has a veto on anything that happens at PBS and gets the money if he approves. He has vetoed even the most deserving events like a Special Olympics style fundraising event, an event for the United Negro College Fund, etc.

If there is a person who should roast in HELL for his business practices, it would be Mike Brown.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Despite his bluff, Mike Brown wasn't going anywhere. He would have built it himself. Everyone knows that today.
Baloney. This is a man who won't even hire a real GM to make football decisions, and the Bengals have long been criticized for having one of the smallest scouting departments in the league. Mike Brown is cheap beyond belief. No way he would've built a stadium.

That said, maybe Cincinnati would've been better off anyway had the Bengals left? Could they have received an expansion franchise with better ownership? Could they have lured an existing franchise to Cincy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati