Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepilot View Post
Why do people like quiet exhaust systems? Everybody is different. I enjoy the sound of my car.
I enjoy the sound of my radio and conversation with my passenger.

Quote:
What about people who put straight pipes on their harley's? Why do they do it?
I guess there are some who crave attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM

17 posts, read 27,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Does your car happen to look like this?
No, but I want that exhaust system!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Why do people like quiet exhaust systems? Everybody is different. I enjoy the sound of my car. Just the same as someone who buys a deville looking for a smooth, quiet car. What about people who put straight pipes on their harley's? Why do they do it?

Like I mentioned, I don't intentionally rev-up my engine in my town square to annoy everybody.
I'll take your side on this one. It sounds like you are basically respectful with regards to your car and its sound. It is unreasonable for people to expect total silence from roads all of the time.

So long as you are cautious when driving through neighborhoods and understand that kids and pets and bikers and walkers use the road too (in other words, you don't drive at unsafe speeds in residential areas), I'd be happy to be your neighbor.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM

17 posts, read 27,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I'll take your side on this one. It sounds like you are basically respectful with regards to your car and its sound. It is unreasonable for people to expect total silence from roads all of the time.

So long as you are cautious when driving through neighborhoods and understand that kids and pets and bikers and walkers use the road too (in other words, you don't drive at unsafe speeds in residential areas), I'd be happy to be your neighbor.
Come move Madeira with us next month. We just bought a house!

My family and I grew up with loud cars: '95 Viper, '00 Mustang GT, '89 LX 5.0, '90 LX 5.0, '67 302 fastback. All of them were loud cars as their exhaust were custom. However, we had the decency to be as quiet as possible for our surrounding neighbors. If you want to race your car go to a track or an local organized autocross event.

Now if we can get people off their phones while they're driving...

Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Come move Madeira with us next month. We just bought a house!

Congradulations on your new home, and I totally agree with the no phones while driving plead. As I see more and more drivers with phones stuck in their ears, it is obvious their concentration on driving is being compromised.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Good point. A spiffy yet louder-than-normal exhaust system doesn't have the potential to hurt anyone.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I don't know how loud people are talking about here. I can tell you that down here in OTR, there are speakers in the trunks of cars that will rattle my windows from a block away.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
And chances are the "boom boom cars" aren't being driven by hillbillies either.
Funny thing about this thread is, when I started seeing "noise ordinance" signs at the boundaries of places like Springdale I thought it was because of those kinds of cars. In my Massachusetts neighborhood they're by far the worst offenders. At any given time someone might roll onto the block with blasts of hiphop or salsa or some combination thereof for everybody's listening displeasure. My reaction to the signs in Ohio was, "Where were these when I was younger and the thing to do was roar around in muscle cars with 'hard rock' cranked all the way up?"

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugpeterson View Post
Ok, so more and more hillbillies are driving with exhaust systems that violate noise ordinance laws of OH. Mason, Ohio police exclaim that the exhausts are not illegal but cannot grasp the concept that the sounds coming out of the exhaust is illegal.

And, what makes you think that they are all "hillbillies"?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
And chances are the "boom boom cars" aren't being driven by hillbillies either.
Funny thing about this thread is, when I started seeing "noise ordinance" signs at the boundaries of places like Springdale I thought it was because of those kinds of cars. In my Massachusetts neighborhood they're by far the worst offenders. At any given time someone might roll onto the block with blasts of hiphop or salsa or some combination thereof for everybody's listening displeasure. My reaction to the signs in Ohio was, "Where were these when I was younger and the thing to do was roar around in muscle cars with 'hard rock' cranked all the way up?"
Yeah, what is up with the proliferation of all these "NO LOUD NOISE" signs? Heck, I even saw one as I entered HAMILTON, for gawd's sake...

But, BOT; I LOVE the sound of an unmuffled "Jake Brake" on a diesel truck engine but I truly understand the cities and towns that put up "NO ENGINE BRAKE" signs. I'm sure living on a street where large trucks use their engine brakes on level ground would get real old, real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati