Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM

279 posts, read 717,545 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I pulled out a massive chunk of onion goetta from the freezer with the intention of making it the star of dinner in some way tonight.

At first, I succumbed to the simple idea of just making goetta, eggs, etc and having a pretty standard breakfast for dinner. Then I toyed with the idea of making goetta breakfast burrito of sorts.

But now I am wondering what all of the crazy things could be done with goetta. Please share if you have recipes or have at least tried some cool tasty dishes. I see goetta calzones are done up by Papa John's at the Goettafest, sounds tasty. I've had goetta pizza that was good. I want more ideas!

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Tubby -- for a wealth of information, go to the Glier's Goetta website.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Tubby -- for a wealth of information, go to the Glier's Goetta website.
Sweet, I hadn't thought of that...I'll check it out! Thanks.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Tubby, I know you like to eat and so I have to try to convince you to make some goetta. Now we have been through this before and there are some people who make goetta with some really difficult and expensive recipes. It doesn't have to be that way. Our family recipe for goetta is really simple and really good. If I can convince you to make your own you will not believe how different it is than a Glier's product.

Say yes and I'll post up.

Oh, WTH, here is my post from last year when I trying to pursuade you then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I'm sure that there are a lot of disgusting things in Goetta made in butcher shops. But it doesn't have to be that way. A pound of ground pork shoulder and a pound of ground chuck. Mix with salt and pepper, fresh herbs to your liking, then with pinhead oatmeal (boiled with onions and bay leaves). Include the onions (but not the bay) in the mix. Portion and freeze. Saute to golden brown and serve. Easy as that.

As for the herbs, try a mixture of thyme and flat parsley if you don't have favorites.
I'm beginning to think I may have to make up a batch just for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Wilson... I am not about to argue with you concerning the various family recipies in making goetta. I will just say this, your simplified recipe will yield a far better product than what is available commercially.

As far as recipies for how to prepare and consume goetta, I just don't see the reason why. I would not desecrate my family recipie by requiring anything more than pan frying it in a cast iron skillet until a golden brown crust forms on the outside. Depending on whether we are having it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, the accompanyments vary only slightly. For breakfast, a good portion of goetta smothered in soft poached eggs, ala corn beef hash style, and buttered toast is the regimen. For lunch, a good portion of goetta on rye bread as a sandwich is just great. Of course if you don't have at least a 1" thick goetta patty you have nothing. For dinner we have to fancy things up somewhat, fried goetta, light and fluffy scrambled eggs & mushrooms, and some buttermilk biscuits with southern sausage gravy. Just don't use too much gravy to smother the goetta, it needs to stand on its own.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson... I am not about to argue with you concerning the various family recipies in making goetta. I will just say this, your simplified recipe will yield a far better product than what is available commercially.

As far as recipies for how to prepare and consume goetta, I just don't see the reason why. I would not desecrate my family recipie by requiring anything more than pan frying it in a cast iron skillet until a golden brown crust forms on the outside. Depending on whether we are having it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, the accompanyments vary only slightly. For breakfast, a good portion of goetta smothered in soft poached eggs, ala corn beef hash style, and buttered toast is the regimen. For lunch, a good portion of goetta on rye bread as a sandwich is just great. Of course if you don't have at least a 1" thick goetta patty you have nothing. For dinner we have to fancy things up somewhat, fried goetta, light and fluffy scrambled eggs & mushrooms, and some buttermilk biscuits with southern sausage gravy. Just don't use too much gravy to smother the goetta, it needs to stand on its own.
I couldn't have put it better. With the right goetta, it is as stand alone a dish as a steak and in its own way, just as good.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'd feed it to the dog!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd feed it to the dog!
Wolf, Wolf!

Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Tubby, I know you like to eat and so I have to try to convince you to make some goetta. Now we have been through this before and there are some people who make goetta with some really difficult and expensive recipes. It doesn't have to be that way. Our family recipe for goetta is really simple and really good. If I can convince you to make your own you will not believe how different it is than a Glier's product.

Say yes and I'll post up.

Oh, WTH, here is my post from last year when I trying to pursuade you then:

I'm beginning to think I may have to make up a batch just for you.
Hahaha I thought this would come up. Well, I will say I have a better chance of making this now that I have my GFs mom onboard. Supposedly, we are getting together soon to make a batch. I will get a hold of her tonight and try to nail down Saturday as the day to make it happen.

I guess I've just been putting it off because Glier's and Eckerlin's goetta tastes pretty good to me! That, and of course, there's only time for so much.

All that said, I certainly wouldn't decline a portion of your homemade batch.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM

350 posts, read 879,906 times
I found out by mistake, but I just crack some eggs and mix it in with the goetta when it's almost done and use buttered toast to make goetta and egg sandwiches. Easiest breakfast ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati