Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 PM

75 posts, read 175,970 times

Advertisements

In terms of judging an entire city by an hour of edited footage some people are just idiots. If your opinion of a city is entirely based around hearsay and television footage then I'd say you have some work to do. I am often amazed that people (many in our own communities here) can feel justified judging an area they have either never been or have never spent a great deal of time in. Yes OTR can be a very dangerous place, but so can Suburban Tuscon when there is a maniac on the loose.

Crime happens everywhere and for a myriad of reasons. It is a misinformed view that suggests an entire city is unsafe due to the actions of a few individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
thank god the little red headed police woman wasn't on this program ,I saw her on campus pd and she has a definite small /woman complex!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Is this going to be on tonight at all?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,592 times
I'm going have to catch this when it re-runs.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
I watched my recording of the show last night. Naturally it portrays the officers in the most possible light favorable. It was fun seeing familiar scenery. I think the AA officer (sorry, don't remember all their names yet) will probably emerge as the star. Speaking as someone who (shamefully) has seen every single episode of every single Real Housewives show ever made, that woman is a natural in front of the camera and seems to know EXACTLY how to play to it. Loved her. Go, girl.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post

Certainly the revelation in the Enquirer that our mayor just went on the TV reality show "Undercover Boss' does not bode well for the "proffessional image' of city leaders.
I just read about that. I thought it was a bit odd that a city mayor would go on the show, and I read there was a bit of controversy about it because the mayor really isn't a "boss", whereas the city manager is. Although not a huge fan of the show, I've watched it several times and I know there is usually always a couple of employees who have something special done for them....the company pays for them to go to school, or gives them thousands of dollars to take care of something they are in need of, etc. So I wonder if that same situation is going to happen with the Cincinnati mayor...and if so, what kind of can of worms does that open up? I mean, wouldn't it essentially be taxpayer money being used to take care of something special for an individual city employee? Would that really be fair to the rest of the citizens at a time when the city is struggling financially to balance its budget?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
We had a chance to watch the show last night. A couple of thoughts came to mind. First, I have seen a couple of the female police officers on the show in other precincts and it makes me wonder if they moved them over to places like district 1 just for the show. Plus, the police cruisers were the shiney new ones. The last time I was in OTR I don't remember seeing the shiney new ones in that area. Of course, this may just be my perception.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that there has been so much effort trying to change the image of the city. I don't think a show like this helps because in these types of shows all you see are the bad things and it gives people the impression that the city is a run down crime infested place.

Again, just me I guess.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
We had a chance to watch the show last night. A couple of thoughts came to mind. First, I have seen a couple of the female police officers on the show in other precincts and it makes me wonder if they moved them over to places like district 1 just for the show. Plus, the police cruisers were the shiney new ones. The last time I was in OTR I don't remember seeing the shiney new ones in that area. Of course, this may just be my perception.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that there has been so much effort trying to change the image of the city. I don't think a show like this helps because in these types of shows all you see are the bad things and it gives people the impression that the city is a run down crime infested place.

Again, just me I guess.
No, not just you. I think it's a six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other kind of thing. All in all, I think most viewers who aren't completely naive know that police in all big cities have to deal with really skanky characters in really slummy neighborhoods. But yeah, it certainly doesn't make Cincinnati look like the garden spot of the Midwest. OTOH, the show presents these police officers as the ultimate in professionalism, with a captivating overlay of personal charm. That's probably as one-sided and misleading as is the selection of neigborhoods portrayed.

It's just entertainment, it's not a news show. Speaking as, as I said, an avid consumer of this kind of mental bubblegum.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I missed the show, darn it, but did get to hear Colleen interviewed by Willie Cunningham (Sometimes I can actually stomach him...) She presented herself as a very smart, effective law officer, from what I heard. Sigh, Sarah Perry, I sure wish I had more time to enjoy "mental bubble gum"...

Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
for those who watched the show, if most of you know CIncinnati as much as you debate on here that you do know the City--OR saying a police officer moved to Dist 1 to be on the show--You might watch it again and see only a couple of the segments were filmed in OTR. All the others were in District 4-Avondale, North Avondale, Corryville and Walnut Hills. The female officers (who had to interview for this show) did a great job in my opinion and i dont think it will make the City look bad at all. For anyone who is tuned into crime, it happens everywhere. They filmed here for a few months last year, and were able to piece together i think 8 shows? Of course they is a bunch of unusable crap on the cutting room floor...anyone who watches reality tv knows that.

If anything comes from this show my hope is that people in this City will finally see what these officers deal with on a daily basis yet they still have to remain professional. It will also hopefully clarify some of the crime issues people think are SO bad, but really happen all over the nation. Mostly I hope it will remind those that many in police administration of this City dont suport the officers, many of the politicians in this City dont support the officers and many of the residents in this City dont support OUR officers. Yet, everyday, they put on a bullet proof vest, kiss their families goodbye to go out and protect our families and neighborhoods with hardly a thank you from any of us.

As for Mallory on Undercover Boss....i'm still trying to figure out why he thinks HE is boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati