Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Jesus statue?
Thats supposed to be coming back "bigger than ever" again.

Such a waste of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
The big red slanting letters spelling "RYERSON [steel]" with neon tubes which shone brightly after dark - much like the letters atop Zayre stores did
I loved that old RYERSON sign. It had a certain panache to it. (& yr ref. to Zayre probably went over a lot of folks' heads...I know what you are talking about, tho).

Didn't know about the Young and Bertke knight being "animated"...that would have been so cool!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Thats supposed to be coming back "bigger than ever" again.

Such a waste of money
I know I'm not supposed to think this way because it's not my money, but I still can't help but wonder what all that wad of cash could do if it were spent on programs and services for "the least of these." Would Jesus REALLY have preferred a giant statue of himself to spending that money on helping the poor? REALLY? REALLY?

I believe I read, however, that the church leadership considers the statue an important mission tool, just the sight of which has the potential to usher believers into the fold, even as they zip past it on the highway.

Now excuse me while I go cough up a giant hairball.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
I have always liked looking for the walking tin man wearing the Cincinnati Reds thing around his neck that used to be visible past the outfield wall at Crosley Field and now can be seen on the east side of 75 in the old Crosley area atop a building. I don't know any story behind him though.

In the same area, I like seeing the inbound and outbound subway tunnels heading toward downtown. If only there were real trains racing into and out of them. How cool would that be? And just outside downtown on the east side of 71 heading up the hill, there is an overpass that contains an opening for the trains to pass through, if I'm not mistaken.

Driving through northern Cincinnati and Warren County, it's always somewhat interesting to pass Kings Island, the Beach and the Cincinnati Masters tennis complex.

Outside of the area, has anyone ever driven through South Dakota on the 80 and seen the literally hundreds of Wall Drug signs? There are actually signs pointing out the location of other signs. I drove through there this summer and, after 300 miles of constant reminders from the signs, I stopped. And spent $20 on stuff I didn't need

Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I have always liked looking for the walking tin man wearing the Cincinnati Reds thing around his neck that used to be visible past the outfield wall at Crosley Field and now can be seen on the east side of 75 in the old Crosley area atop a building. I don't know any story behind him though...
Outside of the area, has anyone ever driven through South Dakota on the 80 and seen the literally hundreds of Wall Drug signs? There are actually signs pointing out the location of other signs. I drove through there this summer and, after 300 miles of constant reminders from the signs, I stopped. And spent $20 on stuff I didn't need
Wall Drug is one of the premier tourist traps in the entire country, right up there with South of the Border (NC/SC state line) and Roadside America (in Wyoming.) I have neighbors here in Massachusetts who proudly sport a Wall Drug bumper sticker on their car. And I still - hopefully - have one of the "jackalope" postcards from there that another friend mailed to me en route to Seattle.

In the days before I-75, there was similar billboard bombardment in Kentucky and Tennessee along US 25 and 25-W for the Dog Patch Zoo. On what looked to be handmade wooden signs, painted school bus yellow, were come-on's to "See BEAR at Dog Patch Zoo," "See RATTLESNAKE at Dog Patch Zoo," etc. There was a crude painting of the animal in question to go along with the message. My family never stopped there - it was on the west side of the road not far north of the TN/KY line. It didn't look like that large-scale of an operation. One can only hope that the animals were well cared for and that they were successfully "re-homed" after the Interstate put the business under.

As for the "walking tin man," that's the Young & Bertke "mascot" who's still there but no longer marching in place.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
See Rock City painted on every barn across several states.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
In the days before I-75, there was similar billboard bombardment in Kentucky and Tennessee along US 25 and 25-W for the Dog Patch Zoo. On what looked to be handmade wooden signs, painted school bus yellow, were come-on's to "See BEAR at Dog Patch Zoo," "See RATTLESNAKE at Dog Patch Zoo," etc. There was a crude painting of the animal in question to go along with the message. My family never stopped there - it was on the west side of the road not far north of the TN/KY line. It didn't look like that large-scale of an operation. One can only hope that the animals were well cared for and that they were successfully "re-homed" after the Interstate put the business under.
Dog Patch was located immediately SOUTH of London, KY and it was just one of the roadside attractions of the era.

And, yes, ir still does exist. However, it was relocated much closer to the freeway.

www.dogpatchtradingpost.com\defaut

Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM

295 posts, read 974,358 times
I have been to the original Dog Patch several times. I had an uncle who worked for Kern's Bread in London and he would sometimes have to go up to the bakery on a Sunday for some reason. We would ride up there with him and my aunt.

We stopped at the Dog Patch Trading Post a few years ago. I think I liked the zoo better. While the place is okay, I guess I just miss being able to visit a place of my childhood.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
See Rock City painted on every barn across several states.
...that, and "Chew Mail Pouch" (tobacco.) Three years ago, I spotted a "See Rock City" barn on US 31-E between Louisville and Bardstown. Not only was it still standing, the paint job was pretty new!

Dog Patch looks like a fairly respectable tourist trap. It's curious that their online shop has plenty of UK gear, but none from the nearer EKU! The owners were shrewd by not only moving closer to the Interstate, but by stepping in for the folks who used to hawk kitsch beside the old highway. Now they have it all and then some! And as an animal lover (though not a vegetarian, much less a PETA member) I shed no tears over the zoo's no longer existing.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
...that, and "Chew Mail Pouch" (tobacco.)
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/74397_10150290529925246_652345245_15521397_1590367 _n.jpg (broken link)

Like this?

This is on OH-7 along the river headed towards Gallipolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati