Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

29 posts, read 77,160 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew what the area right next to the high school was like in Norwood. Specifically Tilden Ave. High crime area? Any input will help. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
You had better reference a time frame. Are you talking about yesterday, when? All neighborhoods change over time.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Sorry, I should say what IS it like? Present day. Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Norwood is a bit of a complicated area. In general, you get a lot of house for your money and the neighborhood is generally pretty safe. The complication is that it is not a good fit for all people. The part of Norwood near the high school is a solid working class neighborhood that meets the needs of the people living there very well. The schools are decent, the location is convenient, and properties are generally maintained pretty well. I won't sugar coat it though, there is a fair amount of class conflict in Norwood, and individuals that differ too much from what is typical for the neighborhood tend not to fit in that well. To be blunt, the street will probably be the best fit for someone who is working middle class and white.

Historically(since the 60s at least, maybe earlier), Norwood has been a working class white neighborhood surrounded by Evanston, Bond Hill, and Avondale on one side and Hyde Park, Pleasant Ridge and Oakley (although the historical Oakley was different than the Oakley of today) on the other. I am in my early thirties, and even I can remember when Dana avenue was the line of racial demarcation between Evanston and Norwood. When the GM plant closed, changes started happening, and certain areas started being developed, while other areas have regressed. The areas near XU and Rookwood for example, have gone up in rent, while some areas have languished. The area you are asking about is right in the middle of battle lines between the development along the Montgomery Road corridor and the decline along the Avondale border. An optimist would say that Avondale is ripe for a rebound, so now is a good time to get in, while a pessimist would say that everything that is not within a mile of Rookwood is declining.

My own personal take is that the property values in 'hot' areas of Norwood are inflated and the rest of the neighborhood is priced about where it should be. I am not a Realtor or anything, though, so my opinions are just based on what I am willing to pay for in a house.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM

That was what I was thinking. I was just hoping that maybe things would have changed and it was part of the area where young families people are moving into. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
I think that in Norwood most of the young families are settling closer to i-71 and oakley, but can't say for sure. There are some decent buys over there, but nothing like what you'll find in the area you are talking about.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Still haven't found that perfect place, huh? We lost track of you somewhere between Evanston and Hartwell.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Haha, yeah still haven't found a place. We bought 2 beat up rental units instead...but now in the process of finding a residential home!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM

112 posts, read 152,552 times
That part of Norwood is great if you like historic traffic signals.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
to be blunt, i don't know of any areas on the east side with young families moving in with the kind of prices you can find around norwood high. you're looking at the west side or paying more, i think. westwood has some terrific bargains right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati