Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM

46 posts, read 215,787 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me information on either of these high schools are far as academics and sports programs? My son is VERY into football and travel ice hockey and wants to attend a school with a top football program, and also club ice hockey. But we want top academics too. Is Mason High School just too large? Do students feel lost there?

We have narrowed it down to these to districts so any input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Mason is where you need to go for good football programs. Trade off is mason high shool teacher raped a kid. Sycamore high school is good too they just have alot of drug problems.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver6323 View Post
Can anyone give me information on either of these high schools are far as academics and sports programs? My son is VERY into football and travel ice hockey and wants to attend a school with a top football program, and also club ice hockey. But we want top academics too. Is Mason High School just too large? Do students feel lost there?

We have narrowed it down to these to districts so any input would be much appreciated.
Sycamore's a great school district, and has a good football program.....Mason's very very similar.....if he's half-way outgoing and an athlete he won't feel lost at Mason. I think it should come down to the types of housing using you prefer.....Montgomery is mostly older, more "historic" homes (and more expensive) than Mason which is mostly newer and modern homes (but you can get a bigger home for your $ in Mason).

Does either parent work downtown? If so, Montgomery is a lot closer, although there's express bus service from Kings Island to downtown (Rt 71x) which makes the commute from Mason much more tolerable.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Sycamore's a great school district, and has a good football program.....Mason's very very similar.....if he's half-way outgoing and an athlete he won't feel lost at Mason. I think it should come down to the types of housing using you prefer.....Montgomery is mostly older, more "historic" homes (and more expensive) than Mason which is mostly newer and modern homes (but you can get a bigger home for your $ in Mason).

Does either parent work downtown? If so, Montgomery is a lot closer, although there's express bus service from Kings Island to downtown (Rt 71x) which makes the commute from Mason much more tolerable.
I agree with Montgomery being overall a little older and also expensive. But it should also be mentioned the majority of Blue Ash, which varies considerably in housing stock, especially age, is in the Sycamore district as are portions of Symmes Township which will typically be newer homes but also expensive. Also, in Symmes Township you are getting to the northern Hamilton Co. border and therefore further from downtown. Also note portions of Symmes Township are also in the Loveland School District so you have to note which portion of the township it is.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
I'd prefer to live in the Sycamore district. Their football program has been strong for years despite being one of the smaller D1 schools in the area. I know they have a quality varsity ice hockey program too. Not sure if Mason offers hockey at the varsity level or just the club level. Academics are on par with Mason but Sycamore's smaller population would be a plus for me. I prefer the location of the Sycamore district to that of Mason's as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I'd prefer to live in the Sycamore district. Their football program has been strong for years despite being one of the smaller D1 schools in the area. I know they have a quality varsity ice hockey program too. Not sure if Mason offers hockey at the varsity level or just the club level. Academics are on par with Mason but Sycamore's smaller population would be a plus for me. I prefer the location of the Sycamore district to that of Mason's as well.
I don't believe Mason has a varsity ice hockey program, likely due to the lack of a suitable practice facility. But all other sports, both girls and boys, including soccer, basketball, baseball/softball, track & field, aquatic competion, etc. have gained strength consistently. Boys football is gaining strength and getting to the point to be competitive with the other GMC teams, which is slowly showing signs of being one of the strongest conferences in the area.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I think it should come down to the types of housing using you prefer.....Montgomery is mostly older, more "historic" homes (and more expensive) than Mason which is mostly newer and modern homes (but you can get a bigger home for your $ in Mason).
I guess that's true if you count mid-century ranches and 1970s split levels as "historic". There are a handful of historic structures in Montgomery, but they are vastly outnumbered by McMansions.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 25,267 times
My kids went to Mason but my son played soccer for a Sycamore soccer club and remained friends with a lot of the kids at Sycamore. Either are great places. I can't speak to Sycamore that well because I don't live there but can say it certainly seems to have great academics and sports.

My kids went to Mason in Middle School so perhaps it was easier for them but the LOVED it. It's broken down into "pods" so it doesn't seem so large. My daughter was actively involved in sports (volleyball) and academics as well. My son was a really good soccer player and wrestler. Both went to college on academic scholarships (son turned down Air Force Academy). My daughter is nearing graduating from college and has several Fortune 100s chasing her.

I think the thing about Mason is it's so big that kids are very welcoming. Until a few years ago, almost 10% of every class was new kids coming in. That helped a ton with the transition. Him being involved in sports would also help a bunch.

My recommendation would be visit both and then decide. I also think both are situated great in terms of getting to other places (downtown, 275, I71 or I75).

Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 AM

46 posts, read 215,787 times
Thank you all so much for the opinions and advice. It really helps to hear and I guess I am leaning toward Sycamore at this point because of the size.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver6323 View Post
Thank you all so much for the opinions and advice. It really helps to hear and I guess I am leaning toward Sycamore at this point because of the size.
Sycamore is considerably smaller, but still growing, just not as fast as Mason did. Sycamore is in danger of becoming overcrowded unless they begin building again. It is a great school and you can't go wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati