Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Yeah, you're right. This past Spring was definitely like that...just gotta soak it up while it does last! I'm digging the current 7 day outlook...high 90s and 70s for lows today and tomorrow, then 70s for highs and 50s for lows next week. Gotta love it.
Crazy, isn't it?

What's Cincinnati's motto? "If you don't like the weather, stick around for a little while and it will change"...? Something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Cincinnatians are bad at handling snow because they don't get that much. Surely, the commentors here understand that. You get good at something when you do it a lot.
It's a crap shoot when it comes to getting snow in Cincinnati. Each Winter I diligently measure each snowfall (unless it's a light dusting of less than 1/8"). This past Winter was supposedly above average...yet out of all the snowfalls we had, I still measured LESS at my house than other places around the region. Sometimes just a few miles up the road will have seen 5", but I will have only gotten 2" at my place. Sometimes NKY gets all the snow and we get nothing up here...which is what I've noticed the past several Winters. It's weird. So there are Winters when we get a lot, and others when we don't get anything to take note of.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakucyk View Post
• Pollen and allergies are horrible here. People who never had allergies move here and can find themselves in a terrible fix every spring. If you can take Washington DC though, you'd probably be ok here.
Actually it's the late Summer and early Fall when my allergies are at their worst. Recently I've been sneezing up a storm, and have to put up with this until the first frost.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
According to records, the relative humidity during a Cincinnati winter averages less than 45%. This is why winter is said to have dry air. The ground may appear to be damp, but this is due more to the temperature than the amount of moisture in the air. Cincinnati's winter daily temperature averages 35 deg F. which you will note is only a couple of degrees above freezing. It is no wonder the freeze/thaw cycle tears up our roads. If it would turn colder and stay there the freeze/thaw cycle would be far less.

They are saying today will hit 100 deg. F. Now that is just plain HOT. And tomorrow will be 98. But the high on Monday (Labor Day) will be 71? That tells me between Sat. night and Labor Day we should expect some hellacious weather. I hope next week we are not talking about the great September 2011 tornado season in Cincy. They are rare in the fall, but with this crazy weather pattern who can predict?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 AM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
100 today? Nice...definitely gonna be going out for a long walk/run/bike ride.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakucyk View Post
• Summer is hot and humid, and the nights don't cool down much. It can be quite oppressive, but this isn't Atlanta either. Summer is usually quite dry, with few cloudy days and little rain, which makes the heat that much more difficult to bear. The humidity really hits you in the early morning, when you think it should at least be half decent outside.

• Pollen and allergies are horrible here. People who never had allergies move here and can find themselves in a terrible fix every spring. If you can take Washington DC though, you'd probably be ok here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Actually it's the late Summer and early Fall when my allergies are at their worst. Recently I've been sneezing up a storm, and have to put up with this until the first frost.
i moved here in 2000 from northeastern pa and initially, my allergies improved. but after that honeymoon period, they've gotten incredibly bad. i now have "acute allergic asthma" and go to the hospital 4-6x a year for severe asthma attacks. the humidity (which, this summer and the last, got drastically worse at night), smog, incredible amount of ragweed (the highest concentration of it in north america, according to a former allergist of mine) and stale air are too much for me to handle. i finally reached the point where i decided i need to move somewhere healthier for me. portland and san diego have been at the top of my list, but my mental issues may not be able to handle pdx's constant rain and overcast skies. but with all the chronic health problems i have, i'm seriously considering at least a temporary move to columbus. according to last year's EPA comparisons, the air quality is drastically better in cbus than it is here. and according to the national asthma rankings, pollen is lower in cbus than it is in cincy. but... they rated cincy as better for asthma than cbus. i don't know what to make of that.

as stated before, the valley here and the river act as a humidity trap. it's so bad that, as far as i know, the Indians never settled here. i think that pretty much says it all when it comes to local air quality.

btw, hello!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM

112 posts, read 152,552 times
Sometimes you just can't win. There are definitely pollution issues in this city apart from just pollen, partly from the heavy industry, and also from the very sprawling development pattern and lack of mass transit. This causes a problem that I've noticed before, but didn't think about earlier, in that it can be very difficult to open up your house or apartment at night. Summer is usually too hot, but in the spring and fall, when the nights are calm and cool, a temperature inversion forms that causes pollution to stay near the ground. You can see this in the early morning where smoke from a factory goes up a little ways into the air then starts to spread out laterally.

Here's a perfect example: File:SmokeCeilingInLochcarron.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you have a mild day with decent air quality, as there's some wind and decent mixing in the atmosphere. At night however, when the winds die down, you start to get strange odors that can come from miles away. Of course specific geographic conditions can have a big impact, but I don't know if such things have ever been tracked here. There does seem to be a lot of dust and pollen in the air all the time too. I leave my car windows cracked open a lot in the summer (black leather interior...bad idea) and it gets dirty inside really quick. That and with the dew or frost just about every morning, it's tough to keep the outside of the car clean too.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 25,290 times
As a lifetime Cincy resident (with a few years in other states on the East and West coast), I will say the weather here is about my least favorite in the US. I travel a lot, and as I age, the main thing I hate about it here has been all the rain and cloudy days. The people here are great, but if you're coming here for weather, one word, DON'T. Among the most cloudy days (least sunshine in the US), one of the rainiest cities outside the Pacific NW and Gulf Coast in the US (but at least they have the ocean), hot summers with awful humidity and cold winters (not as bitter cold as some). Being an outdoor type, if it's going to be cold, let me have snowmobiling, skiiing or perhaps ice fishing. We have none of that here. We have snow, melt, refreeze, melt refreeze. And the allergies are among the worst in the US.

Love the people here and my family but as recent empty nesters (and I have a business that is portable that I own), I'm looking forward to moving. There have been 3 nice months this year, Sept, Oct and Nov. That's it. And half of those days it rained. Denver gets around 18 inches of rain a year, we got 60 this year. Denver still has change of seasons and winter but it's SO much dryer. I have slight asthma (and this is part of why I'm so against Cincy weather) and dampness makes it much worse. My wife has bad sinuses. We've been miserable health wise this year.

As you age, drier and sunnier just makes more sense. If you love the rain (and no coast or Great Lake nearby), this is a great weather destination.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post

As you age, drier and sunnier just makes more sense. If you love the rain (and no coast or Great Lake nearby), this is a great weather destination.
Hey! Sounds like Texas just might be calling your name...

Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeoutofhereplease View Post
As a lifetime Cincy resident (with a few years in other states on the East and West coast), I will say the weather here is about my least favorite in the US. I travel a lot, and as I age, the main thing I hate about it here has been all the rain and cloudy days. The people here are great, but if you're coming here for weather, one word, DON'T. Among the most cloudy days (least sunshine in the US), one of the rainiest cities outside the Pacific NW and Gulf Coast in the US (but at least they have the ocean), hot summers with awful humidity and cold winters (not as bitter cold as some). Being an outdoor type, if it's going to be cold, let me have snowmobiling, skiiing or perhaps ice fishing. We have none of that here. We have snow, melt, refreeze, melt refreeze. And the allergies are among the worst in the US.

Love the people here and my family but as recent empty nesters (and I have a business that is portable that I own), I'm looking forward to moving. There have been 3 nice months this year, Sept, Oct and Nov. That's it. And half of those days it rained. Denver gets around 18 inches of rain a year, we got 60 this year. Denver still has change of seasons and winter but it's SO much dryer. I have slight asthma (and this is part of why I'm so against Cincy weather) and dampness makes it much worse. My wife has bad sinuses. We've been miserable health wise this year.

In fairness to your rain comments: We are in the process of setting the record for the rainiest year in recorded Cincinnati history. Obviously 2011's precipitation has been a bit of an outlier - particularly this spring. There are years when we get much less precipitation and we're thankful for rain.

As for Denver's weather, I lived in the area for five years and I know it very well. It is a very attractive climate for a number of reasons, but by far my favorite was the relative lack of humidity. The storms that roll off the Rockies are gorgeous and they can produce huge bursts of precipitation in a short time. Hail storms are an annual late summer event.

In the winter, you're just as likely to have a 70-degree January day as a snowstorm. And when those snowstorms do come - and they do as early as October - they're fierce and they shut down the roads and highways at higher elevations, rendering them impassable. Inexperienced drivers or those with ill-equipped cars often need to be rescued. But the nice thing about Denver winters is that cold, snowy weeks are often followed by temperate weeks with lots of sunshine.

However, weeks upon weeks of unending sunshine does tend to get old (or at least it did for me). Denver averages more sunny days than both San Diego and Miami, so if you like clouds or rainy days it's not for you. And after five years I was ready for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati