Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

19 posts, read 54,185 times

Advertisements

The only coffee I drink in Cincinnati is from White Castle. Anytime I get a chance to visit, that's where I get my "fix."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctheel-CH View Post
The only coffee I drink in Cincinnati is from White Castle. Anytime I get a chance to visit, that's where I get my "fix."
What do you know, someone who actually wants coffee rather than an adventure in culinary abstraction.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-16-2011 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: correct

Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What do you know, someone who actually wants coffee rather than an adventure in culinary abstraction.
White Castle is White Castle is White Castle; a rose is a rose is arose, eh? Death before dishonor--that's what I say, kybrill! Just made up my mind to pitch all that new "coffee-paraphernalia" I recently bought and return to the basics! (Now where's that old percolator I stashed away 30-yrs ago?)

Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
White Castle is White Castle is White Castle; a rose is a rose is arose, eh? Death before dishonor--that's what I say, kybrill! Just made up my mind to pitch all that new "coffee-paraphernalia" I recently bought and return to the basics! (Now where's that old percolator I stashed away 30-yrs ago?)
Hope you find that old perculator. Still the best actual coffee ever brewed. As I said, everything else is a culinary abstraction. Cannot believe how gullible people really are.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Hope you find that old perculator. Still the best actual coffee ever brewed. As I said, everything else is a culinary abstraction. Cannot believe how gullible people really are.
Maybe so, kybrill--but don't hate me for confiding that I've been recently experimenting with a brewing device which, not too long ago, wolden suggested in his #28 (11-08) post. That is, the "Moka Express" espresso maker by Bialetti... (really an amazingly simple way to make super-strong coffee w/o including all the sediment) Think you gotta go out and spend hundreds (if not thousands) of $$$ on one of those espresso machines? (Wrong!) Just go to Target and buy a Moka 6-cup coffee-pot for a total of app. $30 (which will certainly produce multiple small "demitasse" cups, but only one regular cup; a larger Moka 12-cupper will make two regular cups, and can be ordered through Amazon for app. $50 + S&H).

Seriously, take wolden's advice and give this simple, little coffee-maker a try, okay? And follow either his steps or the directions in the box. If you cannot see spending the money on the much-cherished "Illy" coffee (found in the Hyde Park Kroger store, among other places), start out by grinding a good French roast (like either Peet's or Millstone) on a #5 grind-setting. Then do use distilled water. The rest is up to you. The device in question was allegedly invented in Italy around 1939, and I almost guarantee you'll be amazed with its ingenious simplicity--it's really a sort of "upside-down" percolator. (No kidding!) Now get brewing!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:04 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Maybe so, kybrill--but don't hate me for confiding that I've been recently experimenting with a brewing device which, not too long ago, wolden suggested in his #28 (11-08) post. That is, the "Moka Express" espresso maker by Bialetti... (really an amazingly simple way to make super-strong coffee w/o including all the sediment) Think you gotta go out and spend hundreds (if not thousands) of $$$ on one of those espresso machines? (Wrong!) Just go to Target and buy a Moka 6-cup coffee-pot for a total of app. $30 (which will certainly produce multiple small "demitasse" cups, but only one regular cup; a larger Moka 12-cupper will make two regular cups, and can be ordered through Amazon for app. $50 + S&H).

Seriously, take wolden's advice and give this simple, little coffee-maker a try, okay? And follow either his steps or the directions in the box. If you cannot see spending the money on the much-cherished "Illy" coffee (found in the Hyde Park Kroger store, among other places), start out by grinding a good French roast (like either Peet's or Millstone) on a #5 grind-setting. Then do use distilled water. The rest is up to you. The device in question was allegedly invented in Italy around 1939, and I almost guarantee you'll be amazed with its ingenious simplicity--it's really a sort of "upside-down" percolator. (No kidding!) Now get brewing!
Motorman,
Glad you found my post useful!! It makes fantastic espresso. Many people say don't boil it. What I do, is set my gas stove top burner to "3". The minute I start to hear some bubbling I cut it down to "low". What I'm trying to do is maximize the amount of water that comes out of the bottom chamber and becomes coffee. I then put half of the espresso in 2 cups and top it off with boiling water for an Americano

Sorry if that repeats my earlier post but that is my current practice!

p.s. Even though a can of Illy is a little pricey, overall this approach is much cheaper than Starbucks!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times
Folgers, White Castle and sometimes believe it or not McDonalds....when I'am lucky....

Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Apparently, all Caribou Coffee locations in Cincinnati will be closing in the next week or two. I'm not sure why this is happening here or if all the stores of this Minnesota-based chain are closing also.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Apparently, all Caribou Coffee locations in Cincinnati will be closing in the next week or two. I'm not sure why this is happening here or if all the stores of this Minnesota-based chain are closing also.
Caribou Coffee to pull out of Chicago market - chicagotribune.com

Caribou Coffee in retreat; 'closing' signs go up across U.S. - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

They will be exiting Cincinnati and Chicago, converting some stores to Peet's locations.

At the end of 2012, Caribou had 610 locations, mostly in the Midwest and Great Plains. That number will be trimmed to 486 by 2015. Following the closings and conversions, Caribou will have stores in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, western Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina, Denver and 10 international markets, the company said.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 AM

101 posts, read 182,843 times
It will be interesting, as I think most of the Caribou locations in the area (except maybe West Chester) seemed to be decent locations.

I do think it makes sense to not change the local stores to Peets as it is just another West Coast, dark-and-fast roasted coffee, which I don't think plays to our midwestern palates. I used to HATE Starbucks brewed coffee, but have started buying brewed coffee again from then once they introduced the Blonde roasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati