Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times

Advertisements

I wasn't very surprised to see cincinnati on the list that might explain some to those of you who think cincinnati is fine. When in real life cincinnati has a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
There is another way of looking at that study, the correct way, that does not address racism at all, only concentration by economic strata. That is: that there is a demographic partition in Cincinnati that is mostly based on income and since income mostly determines where people live, it does not indicate anything meaningful about race.

Hey, your fallacious interpretation of the study sounds familiar, doesn't it? Yes, I think it does. It's the twisted logic that caused social reformer, Judge Walter Rice and the NAACP to ruin the Cincinnati Public Schools and the City of Cincinnati's suburban communities. The idea that geographic partitioning was de facto segregation is one of those untested social experiments that ruined thousands of lives, but came with no apology.

Black persons' residences are concentrated in certain areas of the City, ergo, the City must be segregated, ergo, racism is afoot.

Liar liar pants on fire.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
I kinda already mentioned that ..

Racism (attitudes) and physical localities (segregation or integration) are not the same issues.

Now - personally - yeah, I think there is a race issue down here. Just a very quiet swept under the rug one.

But, I don't think a cities population makeup is the main problem.

I think the fact that people are still using words (in public, in stores) that any thinking person would have banned from their vocabulary 40 years ago .. that's more of an indication that there are some attitudes in this area that are really not condusive to groups of different backgrounds getting together and singing kumbaya.

But - as far as I can tell - its all good, because for the most part - no one talks about it. I know, I asked my coworkers when we first encountered this moving down here. They all looked at me like I was a three headed dog.

"that was an exception". Well, those exceptions have kept occurring. For some reason, people feel comfortable telling my husband things about their opinions on things that he would rather they really kept to themselves.

So either this place really is EXCEPTIONAL ... or.. yeah, there's a bit of a problem (I'm not saying any worse than any other place) that very few people choose to acknowledge.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,095 times
It's really no different than any other city I've lived in. But a certain segment of the population thinks everything is worse here, and that strange self-loathing IS different than other cities I've lived in.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

I have to disagree on you on that abr7rmj. i have lived in the 3 largest cities in america adding dallas, and of course cincinnati. It was only until i moved out here i started hearing about how someone put up a sign saying white only, also how i saw a confederate flag off the highway and it was still in cincinnati counties and my mother was called the n???? word. I lived out here for 4 years and ive seen about mayber 4 or 5 confederate flags on the back of peoples car. There are lots and lots more of events that i have witnessed but i just cant remember. By the way you guys are right about racism in other cities, but cincinnati is so small and plus where not even in the south which explains alot to you guys about what kind of city cincinnati is.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,004 times
This thread keeps coming back like a bad dream. ugh

Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
This thread keeps coming back like a bad dream. ugh
I stopped going on this thread until a comment came in and it was back on the page. Not my fault

Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Dear Mr. Mallory and Mr. Smitherman--this evening I'm deeply troubled with a lingering question... Although I so badly wanted to attend this afternoon's "Thug-A-Thon," I wasn't able to make it to my local "Thugs-R-Us" retailer to obtain my own black hoodie, therefore missing the entire event. (I wasn't even able to "hug-a-thug," not even one!) WILL YOU STILL THINK OF ME AS A RACIST?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM

First of all i dont even get it so i cant say too much, second all i said was i seen the confederate flags alot of places in cincinnati and that my mother was called the n????word. one thing i forgot to mention was how i used to get bully as a kid because of my race and how kids use to say how there families were in the klukluxklan or how there grandmother was racist. So do you really have to go out and accuse me of just calling anybody racist.

Last edited by cali3448893; 03-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: bad wording

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Cincinnati is an "island". The core area including: downtown, OTR, CUF, Clifton, North Avondale, Mt. Adams, East Walnut Hils, Hyde Park, Northside, plus Mainstrasse Covington and Newport on the Levee across the river is an impressive urban core of neighborhoods that are quite walkable, urban and comsmopolitan in a way that can in my opinion can easily hold its own against much larger cities, however beyond this core, it gets very conservative, suburban-exurban, and homogenous (German-Appalachian) very quickly in most places.

While this is true of most metro areas, I think the "gradient" between more urban and eclectic and exurban/conservative/homogenous is sharp.

In this way Cincinnati is an island. I think in some ways it compares well to some more quirky funky southern cities that are small big city like New Orleans or Austin. Those places are "islands" as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati