Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Another reason for not injecting the Trayvor Martin controversy into this thread is because, here in Cincinnati, we have already weathered the April, 2001 Timothy Thomas shooting, which shared so many of the earmarks of the present killing. Thus, in a very real sense, that particular tragic, explosive local event served as our very own "Racial Litmus Test." The recent Florida affair is little more than deja-vu--an "instant replay" that should be played out anywhere but here!
I agree with everything you said. The Timothy Thomas case is almost 11 years old, and hopefully the changes the Cincinnati Police introduced as a result of the study surrounding it has improved things.

I have several opinions concerning the Florida case but will refrain from making them for the reasons you cited, nothing to be gained by rubbing old wounds here in Cincinnati. Let Florida deal with their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
So let's see how long til this thread gets deleted. One thing I've found over here is there not big fans of talking about other forums, sites, etc.
I agree, i think my thread should be closed because im getting a little tired of keeping up with everybody on the thread so yeah.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
I agree, i think my thread should be closed because im getting a little tired of keeping up with everybody on the thread so yeah.
Right now you're a newcomer to Cincinnati, with only a limited understanding of the deeper economic and racial divisions that hamstring both the city and the metro. You need to realize that many of us worry about issues much more complex than how many rebel flags can be counted in the outlying counties along I-71. So, rather than withdraw, stick with it and learn more.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Right now you're a newcomer to Cincinnati, with only a limited understanding of the deeper economic and racial divisions that hamstring both the city and the metro. You need to realize that many of us worry about issues much more complex than how many rebel flags can be counted in the outlying counties along I-71. So, rather than withdraw, stick with it and learn more.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Everybody please get back on topic, which by the way is not a certain similar site
Yac.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Saw where a Fairfield Twp man from Butler county was arrested for aggrevated menacing in Mount Victory, a small viillage of a little over 600 northwest 50 miles of Columbus. Apparently he was a member of about 7 attempting to hold a Klu Klux Klan rally. A 46 year old black man from nearby Ridgeway had told them their garbage was not welcome. The Fairfield man pulled a gun from a holster, pointed it to the ground, and said I will kill you. Apparently the Klan is still making feeble attempts to draw attention. But if all they can muster is a handful of people in a small dominantly white town I do not view it as a big threat, just an embarrassment they still manage to hang around. I put them in the same catagory as the Nazi skinheads and other hate mongers.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM

^ All very interesting, kjbrill, but the KKK in Cincinnati is DOA. Maybe "The Klan" plays well in backwater hamlets where "Deliverance" still flashes on the only remaining movie marquee, but nowhere else. Nazi skinheads are an entirely different story; most of them are vicariously connected to a history of glory and gore (the Wehrmacht on the "Eastern Front") that they don't and dare not comprehend.

Last edited by motorman; 03-29-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM

The klu klux klan used to go downtown on fountain square during the christmas tree lighting. They finnaly stopped in the late90s. My mom remebered seeing them and she said it scared her alot.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
The klu klux klan used to go downtown on fountain square during the christmas tree lighting. They finnaly stopped in the late90s. My mom remebered seeing them and she said it scared her alot.
Like you said--in the 90s--and only because a court gave the vilified organization a permit to assemble there. The general populace was appalled, embarrassed, and disgusted, but what could they do? (A few people did take matters into their own hands by disrupting the KKK presence as best they could, but the police were ordered to protect this small group of social and cultural miscreants). Trust me, jonathancalderon71, the media got tremendous mileage out of this, while the Cincinnati public wondered how it all happened. It was a needless slap in the face to a decent city that did not deserve it.

Last edited by motorman; 03-29-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Like you said--in the 90s--and only because a court gave the vilified organization a permit to assemble there. The general populace was appalled, embarrassed, and disgusted, but what could they do? (A few people did take matters into their own hands by disrupting the KKK presence as best they could, but the police were ordered to protect this small group of social and cultural miscreants). Trust me, jonathancalderon71, the media got tremendous mileage out of this, while the Cincinnati public wondered how it all happened. It was a needless slap in the face to a decent city that did not deserve it.
I did not view it as a slap in the face to Cincinnati, but rather a court ordered ability to assemble and speak publicly, an American right. I was very pleased the people of Cincinnati showed their disdain at what was being promoted to the degree the KKK rather rapidly gave up their endeavor. That is how I believe you deal with their kind, grant them the ability to assemble but make it uncomfortable enough so they decide the effort is not worth it. Their right to assemble is also your right to express how much they offend you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati