Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 PM

33 posts, read 76,563 times

Advertisements

I share your point of view on this subject - nasty language is unacceptable in all situations. If you have a thought that you wish to convey, use proper English and be aware of grammar. Just an aside, I believe that the dreaded N word comes from speech patterns from the south trying to say Negro. Granted, there was little respect for the blacks in our society, but civil rights came along and tried to make situations more equitable.

Black, white, yellow, or red, we as a people should make every effort to get along and remember, we all need help just to live our lives. Enough said for this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 AM

31 posts, read 78,488 times
Maybe the real issue is people thinking other ethnicities outside their own are different species. It's that fear of the unknown that keeps people from seeing the real truth. I also think that people don't like the idea of assimilating to the standards of another community just to be considered acceptable, especially since even that still isn't enough for some.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM

213 posts, read 674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The one silent subject very difficult to address is whether the various government programs aimed at reducing the poverty level in this country are actually helping the racial condition or contributing to the animosity. I will keep my personal comments out of this arena because frankly I have no good ideas on how to improve on what is being done.

In my experience this is by far the biggest issue that has contributed to racial animosity in this city. Moving Section 8 and Public Housing into long established neighborhoods has caused a lot of the problems in my opinion and made things far worse. I grew up in Westwood which was a very nice middle class neighborhood in the 70's and 80's. I played with white kids all the time, went to school with them, never had any racial issues whatsoever. It was a well established culturally mixed middle class neighborhood. Things only started to deteriorate racially and quality of life-wise when public housing and Section 8 began moving into the neighborhood on a wide scale. A lot of the people who moved in came with a bunch of hate filled ignorant attitudes and from there you saw the decline of a once very nice area.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
section 8 comes in after the market has already declined and it starts a cycle. section 8 does not start this cycle.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
section 8 comes in after the market has already declined and it starts a cycle. section 8 does not start this cycle.
Sorry, yes it does. When people purchase property they can rent out at a less than market rate, that is the beginning. If you don't think so then look around your neighborhood and add up the Section 8 properties. Do you think this is not a manifestation of the condition? I certainly do!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,633 times
I have lurked at this board for a while, but rarely post on it because I have found that many people on this board have racist attitudes towards some of the lower income black neighborhoods in Cincinnati by their derogatory remarks about black neighborhoods such as Bond Hill and Roselawn. Very mean spirited and hateful.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
OK, so you dig up a 4 year old thread to which you did not contribute and did not author to scold unnamed persons for being "mean spirited and hateful?" What, exactly is your contribution to the discussion?

If you think Bond hill is such a nice place to live, I am sure you can find some really affordable housing there. Then you can share with us how wrong we have been about the pros and cons of Bond Hill. I for one would welcome some actual information from you.

For my part, if 100% of the residents of Bond Hill were white, green or purple, it would still be a dump. I doubt that anyone here is critical of Bond Hill due to the color of the residents.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
From: kjbrill (just above)....."look around your neighborhood and add up the Section 8 properties."

That begs an interesting question. Is there an online source where you can look up how many Section 8 properties are in a neighborhood or on a given street? Also, is there a website where you can look up crime stats in the same way?

I understand that both sets of info would have a time lag. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
From: kjbrill (just above)....."look around your neighborhood and add up the Section 8 properties."

That begs an interesting question. Is there an online source where you can look up how many Section 8 properties are in a neighborhood or on a given street? Also, is there a website where you can look up crime stats in the same way?

I understand that both sets of info would have a time lag. Thanks!
You can find Section 8 housing at the HUD website, but you might have to do a lot of picking through to find out what you want to know. And, you can find both crime statistics and their locations online, but I'm going to let someone else lead you to those.

And, just incidentally, I believe Mr. Brill is no longer posting (at least as Mr. Brill), so you might not get a directly related comment.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
When I worked for the Census Bureau, I was surprised how much housing was Section 8, and how in some communities, there were Section 8 houses just 10 or fewer houses away from a house that would be $400+K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati