Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I certainly don't consider Covington or Newport suburbs. They are simply smaller cities on the other side of the river. Kentucky deserves an applause for what they have done to promote the NKY region.

NKU continues to grow as an alternative to other more expensive schools. I recently took my daughter for a surgical procedure at St Elizabeth Hospital and was impressed with their facilities. I know a person who has a home in Union in a subdivision which can walk right alongside anything in our northern suburbs.

It seems like there are people who are always downgrading NKY on this forum and I do not understand why. If I were in the position of moving to the Cincinnati area, particularly if the job was downtown, I would be looking at NKY definitely for a place to live.

There are two kinds of suburbs nowadays.

There are "extensions" of cities and there are small towns that grew while nearby cities grew until the corporation lines met each other.

Look at the addresses (street numbers) to tell the difference. If at the corporation line the street numbers continue in sequence, that's an extension of the city. If the street numbers start in two different places (two different old town centers) and meet somewhere, that's the other kind of a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
There are two kinds of suburbs nowadays.

There are "extensions" of cities and there are small towns that grew while nearby cities grew until the corporation lines met each other.

Look at the addresses (street numbers) to tell the difference. If at the corporation line the street numbers continue in sequence, that's an extension of the city. If the street numbers start in two different places (two different old town centers) and meet somewhere, that's the other kind of a suburb.
But Covington and Newport are on oppposite sides of the river from Cincinnati, and I am sure share virtually nothing, particularly street signs and addresses. Sure they are considerably smaller, but they have existed for a large number of years. They are their own entity, not dependent on the larger Cincinnati on the other side of the river. They have their own history. So in no way are they suburbs of Cincinnati. Suburbs grow outward from a core city. Covington and Newport do not qualify. What they do qualify for is their own suburbs expanding in the NKY region.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I just checked and Covington has several thousand people in migrating to work in the city vs. outmigration commuting into other areas cities and towns for work.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But Covington and Newport are on oppposite sides of the river from Cincinnati, and I am sure share virtually nothing, particularly street signs and addresses.
Then why are they in the Cincinnati Urban area. They are very dependent on Cincinnati's amenities, as well as smaller municipalities in the entire metro. The neighborhoods on the opposite side of the river feels like you are still in yet another downtown Cincy neighborhood. I say this from walking / biking the areas and patronizing the various and sundry attractions in NKY, as well as perusing the neighborhoods admiring the architecture.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
If I were to come back to the Cincinnati area, which likely won't happen, it would be select areas of Northern Kentucky. Namely, Ft. Thomas, Erlanger, Elsmere, Ft. Mitchell, Ft. Wright, or Boone County.

I actually like some areas of Hamilton and Warren Counties better, like Milford, Mariemont, Wyoming, Lebanon, and Mason. However, in the aforementioned NKY cities, you still have pretty good public and private schools and cheaper property taxes. They feel a slight bit more "laid back" than Cincinnati. Worth considering. And, in Kentucky, public schools are generally so p*ss poor that ANY above median system, even by Kentucky standards, is worth gold! The smaller systems in NKY are great, sans the immediate river cities (big time!), and Boone Co. is one of the best county systems in Kentucky.

I've had plenty of relatives as teachers and administrators in Kentucky public schools and I've heard plenty of stories. I can also, through experience, count on which school systems produce bright, articulate, "well-reasoned" students and which systems generally do not. So, I know of what I speak.

However, commuting from NKY into Cincinnati can be a real pain during rush hour. I live near SF now and saying this!!! I-75 through Hamilton Co. during rush hour is honestly as bad as my experience in the MacArthur Maze in Oakland or almost as bad as the 405 in L.A. at 9am. Yes, it's that bad! Some might disagree with me, but thankfully in Greater Cincy the worst of the worst is only relegated to that one highway. I-471 can get pretty hairy, also.

If you can live in Erlanger or Elsmere, find your way to KY 17, and go through Covington and use the Roebling Bridge, that would be very ideal! Or, live in Fort Thomas, use York or Monmouth Streets in Newport to get between work and home, and travel over the Taylor Southgate Bridge; that would work, too.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM

^EclecticEars. Thanks for the detailed information.

Once I choose a community for relocation purposes and move, I plan to develop a flea powered legal, yet unlicensed radio station. It will serve an area of one to three miles from the transmitter. For the kind of format I am planning I will need a neighborhood(s) or suburban area that has people that take an active interest i.e. a roll up their sleeves attitude, willing to support local independently owned businesses (where I hope to obtain advertising revenue) and also willing to listen to a radio station that offers some local talk and information devoted to the community and not found anywhere else on the radio. I also want to air high school sports and I figure I will have a better time getting a city school interested and on board than an exurban school district.

With this in mind, plus having had some input from people that I know personally in radio and also are familiar with the Cincinnati area, my best bets seem to be the area from Dayton over to Ludlow and points in between right along the river and also some of the neighborhoods in Cincinnati or perhaps an inner ring suburb with working class people. It will be very difficult to format a station and hope to obtain any kind of support or help from the higher income areas simply because of the kind of lifestyles they choose are not usually congruent with that of the people that listen to, get involved with and support my kind of radio station.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM

865 posts, read 1,473,264 times
Honestly, I think a radio station like that would do well on the West side of Cincy. If you broadcasted Elder games...gold!

But, good luck with wherever you choose!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Honestly, I think a radio station like that would do well on the West side of Cincy. If you broadcasted Elder games...gold!

But, good luck with wherever you choose!
I agree actually. That is my second choice in the area. I've learned the hard way never to throw all of my eggs into one basket. Everything from finding the right house to live in to environmental issues such as lightning strikes and nearby targets as well as the terrain and other criteria are all factored in when I try to find a good location.

I thought that Elder football games were already being aired on a local station. Perhaps only a couple every season then? In any event, yes the Price Hill area I've also visited and I see it has some potential to return itself to its former glory now that people have finally rediscovered the great housing stock in this neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I didn't love living in Northern Kentucky. However, I would much, much rather live in Cincinnati/NKY than Kansas City.
I'll second that. I've had enough of the KC attitude to last me a lifetime. Eddie Haskell characters seem to dominate the culture there. And the sad part about it is a lot of women have his same personality flaws. Never seen anything like it in my life. Thank God the Cincinnati area bears no real resemblance to KC other than a few people speaking with a southern accent and the hot and humid summers (though in Cincy it is a little less of each weather problem compared to KC).

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,473,264 times
I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea what coverage is like for Elder games as I am not an Elder fan. I would definitely look into it before deciding. It sounds like you have all of your criteria figured out though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati