Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 23,531 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I'm moving to the Cincinnati area for a job downtown. I'll be working in Downtown Cincy, and I'm trying to learn about the places I'll probably enjoy most. I'm a young guy, 20s, new college grad, single, and pretty preppy. I'm kind of looking for a yuppie, preppy, hipster community. I like to go out on the town, but I also want to live in a safe neighborhood. I really value the independent, local restaurants, but like to shop at Macy's and Nordstrom.

I've been reading many posts on this site, and have found that most regarding living areas focus on East Cincy neighborhoods (Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, etc.), but few talk about KY. Is KY taboo? I was thinking of living in Newport, b/c I hear it's safer and the cost of living is lower.

If y'all could comment on (1) the best places to live (knowing my profile, and comparing areas in OH vs. KY), (2) the best places to eat, (3) the best places to shop, (4) the best places to drink, and (5) the best activities Cincy has to offer, it would be MUCH appreciated!

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I haven't been in my 20s for quite some time now ... heh ... but I'll give it a whirl:

(1) the best places to live (knowing my profile, and comparing areas in OH vs. KY): Little about Northern Kentucky is preppy (I'm saying that from an Ohio perspective ). Newport is great, and it's a hop and a skip over the bridge to downtown. Take a look at Northside; some may dispute its relative safety, but really it's as safe as anywhere else if you use common sense. On the whole, though, you'll find your prepster brethren in Hyde Park, East Walnut Hills and Mt. Lookout, and 'burbs like Kenwood and West Chester.

(2) the best places to eat You mean besides Skyline? I like 'em on the lowbrow side, so ... Izzy's, Zip's Cafe, Walt's Barbecue, Price Hill Chili, Habit's Cafe, Bar-b-Que Revue, Campanello's. Check out CityBeat's "best of" issue, which should be coming out soon.

(3) the best places to shop Kenwood Towne Centre (yeah, I spelled it right ... sigh ...) for sheer volume; Rookwood Commons/Pavilion in Norwood,

(4) the best places to drink: Being an official old fart, I'll pass on this one. The best places for me to drink now are at a friend's house where I can spend the night if necessary!

(5) the best activities Cincy has to offer: Street fairs (Oktoberfest, Taste of Cincinnati, Italian fest in Newport, Summerfair even though it's not a street fair anymore, etc.); Party in the Park and concerts at Sawyer Point; minor league hockey games and Reds games; hiking at the California Nature Preserve; Old Coney and Sunlite Pool.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
One other consideration; you can smoke in KY establishments but NOT in Ohio's (restaurants OR bars in OH...)

Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,036 times
I would recomend Downtown, Mt. Adams, Northside, Mt. Lookout, Columbia Tusculum, and Hyde Park

Covington and Newport are okay too.

Downtown is really safe. There were 114 robberies downtown last year which sounds like a lot, but downtown has a daytime population of about 90,000. A residential population of 7,500. Millions of people who attend reds games, and hundreds of thousands who attend bengals games. Half a million for taste of cincinnati, half a million for octoberfest. Tens of thousands for the hundreds of arts performances that happen there every year. Tens of thousands for the cyclones, and events at sawyer point, and the jazz festival, and hundreds of thousands for the fireworks. And only 114 robberies.

lets assume the average population of downtown is 90,000 and there only .31 robberies a day. That means your odds of being robbed are about 1 in 290,322.

If you are downtown every day, you can expect to be robbed once every 795 years

Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
I would rule out Newport. I used to live there so I speak from experience. As someone in their 20's, but a professional. I remember sitting at a redlight and seeing a mom in her teens crossing the intersection with no shoes on (nothing). What most Ohioans comment on is based from the Levee, but not the residential end. The architecture is beautiful, but the residents ... Hmmm ...

With the eastside (Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Columbia-Tusculum, Oakley, East End, etc ... very upscale, which brings the negative and that's $$$, but you gotta pay to play. Mt. Adams is probably the most "hipster-ish" followed by Mt. Lookout. Downtown is also an area known for bringing in the social YP's (I know from experience, lived in the CBD for 2 1/2 years). Watch out for who you listen to, most people that comment on the negative, but do not stay after 5 or 6 downtown, you see where I'm going with this. When we lived downtown we met a lot of transplants (NYC, CHI, & overseas folks) that lived downtown and loved it! For instance, there was a monthly get-together that the property would hold. One month it was a pool party on the roof top with catered Chipolte and kegs and a band. Great times and we miss it like crazy. Another time, they rented out half of Havana Martini Club and gave out drink tickets ... very fun! You mix this with hundreds of residents and you find yourself in a scenario that is easy to meet people.

Don't worry about crime, you'll get a feel when you start looking at property.

Best clubs/bars: Bang, Nada, Twist, Pavilion, AliveOne, Blind Lemon, The Stand, Beluga, Teak, Via Vite, Universal Grille (gay bar, but also brings in heteros), MLT's, Millions, Havana, Northside Tavern, Clique, Crowley's, Habit's ... there's a lot more, but this should keep you busy

Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM

jlrosen, awesome math equations ... really puts things in perspective! That deserves a rep point!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Ohiogirl81 ... I'm surprised. This whole time I assumed that you were either 26 or 27 with the username? What age-range (not specifics) are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
CincyRise ... '81 was when I graduated from the University of Dayton. You can figure out the rest!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:13 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
CincyRise ... '81 was when I graduated from the University of Dayton. You can figure out the rest!
LOL..... with age comes experience and knowledge.

I would look into downtown Cincinnati. So much entertainment and oppurtunities. Also another big annual attraction downtown is Tall Stacks.

Cincinnati Tall Stacks 2003 Photo Gallery by Jayson at pbase.com

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 23,531 times
Default So Kentucky is Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I would rule out Newport. I used to live there so I speak from experience. As someone in their 20's, but a professional. I remember sitting at a redlight and seeing a mom in her teens crossing the intersection with no shoes on (nothing). What most Ohioans comment on is based from the Levee, but not the residential end. The architecture is beautiful, but the residents ... Hmmm ...
So I'm assuming Kentucky is pretty country bumpkin? Is there anything in No. KY worth noting? What is this Levee?

Which neighborhood is best for young, single professionals?

Can anyone recommend a specific apartment complex or leasing company that's reputable? Again, one that fits my profile of single, young professionals. I was looking for complexes with a pool, just for fun, but I have a feeling these may be either family-oriented or senior-oriented....no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati