Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM

156 posts, read 631,143 times

Advertisements

Newcomer, as long as you are inside 275, you are in the nati, whether that happens to be in OH or KY. People who aren't from here and who haven't lived on a state line tend to make a big deal out of being in one state rather than another. Do you really believe your life is going to be drastically different based on whether you live a half mile north (mt. adams) or half a mile south (newport/bellevue)? The only difference is the neighborhood, not an imaginary line. Go with the area you like best.... no one cares.

I am born and bred in cincy bluegrass... this is how it works. Don't let advice from people who are outsiders themselves (Traveler imparting sage advice on the issue from 5 hours due north) skew your view of the way things are in this great old town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
Newcomer, as long as you are inside 275, you are in the nati, whether that happens to be in OH or KY. People who aren't from here and who haven't lived on a state line tend to make a big deal out of being in one state rather than another. Do you really believe your life is going to be drastically different based on whether you live a half mile north (mt. adams) or half a mile south (newport/bellevue)? The only difference is the neighborhood, not an imaginary line. Go with the area you like best.... no one cares.

I am born and bred in cincy bluegrass... this is how it works. Don't let advice from people who are outsiders themselves (Traveler from up north) skew your view of the way things are in this great old town.
I know you are from Kentucky, and sorry that I some how offended you by saying that I believe, but it is the truth, that Ohio has so much more oppurtunity than Kentucky. And there really isn't anything on the Kentucky side. BTW, I have lived on the border for quite some time. I am originally from Pennsylvania. I am just putting my opinion out there, that is allowed you know. I never once singled you out and attacked you in any way. I also never said I was trying to "skew" the OP's view.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I know you are from Kentucky, and sorry that I some how offended you by saying that I believe, but it is the truth, that Ohio has so much more oppurtunity than Kentucky. And there really isn't anything on the Kentucky side. BTW, I have lived on the border for quite some time. I am originally from Pennsylvania. I am just putting my opinion out there, that is allowed you know. I never once singled you out and attacked you in any way. I also never said I was trying to "skew" the OP's view.

Obviously you're entitled to opinion that you like OH better... you live in Cleveland, that's an obvious answer. But the poster deserves to know the opinion of actual Cincinnatians living in Cincy, of which your opinion is not a part.

Your quote "And there really isn't anything on the Kentucky side" seriously discredits you in the eyes of anyone who knows what's going on here. When you make comments like that with no basis to do so, it misrepresents the way thay actual Cincinnatians think about things, which just seems wrong. As long as that is clarified, post away!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Quote:
Obviously you're entitled to opinion that you like OH better... you live in Cleveland, that's an obvious answer. But the poster deserves to know the opinion of actual Cincinnatians living in Cincy, of which your opinion is not a part.

Your quote "And there really isn't anything on the Kentucky side" seriously discredits you in the eyes of anyone who knows what's going on here. When you make comments like that with no basis to do so, it misrepresents the way thay actual Cincinnatians think about things, which just seems wrong. As long as that is clarified, post away!
I know I may not live in Cincinnati, but I do know the area very well. I actually tried to get into UOC, but the courses there were different from what I expected, plus Kent was closer. I have plenty of friends in the Cincy Metro too.

I know Covington and Newport offer nothing behind the riverfront, that is a given right there, all you need to do is see for yourself. Beyond that I found eastern Kentucky to be highly unemployed, and lots of poverty. I know Covington and Newport are part of the Cincy metro, but it is NOT OHIO. I even noticed people in Kentucky wanted their own forum to start for NKY.

Ohio and Kentucky have completely different values and views. The instant you cross the border you might not see it, but 30 minutes down the freeway I saw huge differances.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
Quote:
Newcomer, as long as you are inside 275, you are in the nati
This is not true. This is not true in terms of racial diversity, culturally, politically, social liberalism & conservatism ... hell I could go on and on.

Like I said up-thread, I didn't make it a full year in Newport. There's a night and day difference (remember, I was under the impression that cincyUK mentioned, but it is different).

Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This is not true. This is not true in terms of racial diversity, culturally, politically, social liberalism & conservatism ... hell I could go on and on.

Like I said up-thread, I didn't make it a full year in Newport. There's a night and day difference (remember, I was under the impression that cincyUK mentioned, but it is different).

tough break. are you from here? outside the city? I've never heard that take from anyone... most of my friends have lived interchangably on different sides of the river valley (Mt. Lookout, newport, Mt. Adams, cov, etc.)... not really sure how it is different, but maybe i am blinded by my narrow views being from here. Once again, I urge the poster to talk to people from the valley... it's all a matter or preference what neighborhood you like best, we are literally talking about areas a half a mile apart from one another.

I would actually argue that having been to mason and northern suburbs that those are much different than any of the close knit communities I just mentioned... but at the end of the day it's all greater cincy, so I gotta love em too.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,307 times
Quote:
... it's all a matter or preference what neighborhood you like best, we are literally talking about areas a half a mile apart from one another.
That's the same impression that I had (only to break a lease), but it is different none-the-less ... The demographics speak for themselves.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,516 times
Is it true that Hyde Park is more of a family neighborhood...less suitable for a single, new grad? I hear Mt. Adams and Mt. Lookout would be better places to live for me, specifically.

PS - Reaaally...how tough is parking in Mt. Adams? Would it be a struggle everyday I drive home from work?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Newcomer, if you're working downtown you can walk to work from Mt. Adams. Parking wouldn't be an issue at all! Depending on where you rent, parking may be a part of your package. It depends on the property. Would you need a car during the day?

You initially asked about preppy-type places, which is why a lot of people recommended Hyde Park. It is more of a walk-your-kid's-stroller-to-the-coffee-shop kind of place than Mt. Adams. But there are people of all age groups in Hyde Park.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 AM

93 posts, read 247,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
This was not my experience at all. Newport and Covington have quite a bit going on in terms of nightlife and activities (e.g. Newport on the Levee and all the associated restaurants and bars, MainStrasse). I found that for young professionals it broke down like this: people from Cincinnati or Ohio almost always chose to live in one of the east side neighborhoods. People who came from elsewhere (i.e. didn't have a strong identity as an Ohioan) would rent on either side of the river, but often bought in NKY because you get more house for the money. I personally chose to live in downtown for a while and in O'Bryonville/Hyde Park when I lived in Cincinnati, but I wouldn't rule out NKY.

I don't think your experience would be substantially different living in in dowtown/east side Cincinnati vs Newport or Covington or the nearby suburbs. I will say that the further out suburbs in Kentucky are more "down home," but this is more of an urban-rural divide than OH-KY. Remember, that going north, the Cincy metro runs into the Dayton one, whereas going south, there's not much once you get a bit past the 71/75 split. Plus, it gets "down home" pretty quick in Ohio too to if you head east out of Cincy along the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati