Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 31,501 times

Advertisements

African American family of six moving to the Cincinnati area, from what we've read it seems that West Chester, Mason, Blue Ash and the Montgomery areas are ideal for our family. I heard that some of these areas could be racist. We are from Dayton and you can't get anymore segregated than Dayton, OH. We want to live in a community where the police don't stop us asking why we're there. No gunshots would be ideal. Looking to buy but would rent for a while. Good schools nice yard etc...Basically suburban life. I've had enough hood for a lifetime. We can afford suburban life but don't want to pay to be treated bad. Any thoughts on the racial issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhisfavor View Post
African American family of six moving to the Cincinnati area, from what we've read it seems that West Chester, Mason, Blue Ash and the Montgomery areas are ideal for our family. I heard that some of these areas could be racist. We are from Dayton and you can't get anymore segregated than Dayton, OH. We want to live in a community where the police don't stop us asking why we're there. No gunshots would be ideal. Looking to buy but would rent for a while. Good schools nice yard etc...Basically suburban life. I've had enough hood for a lifetime. We can afford suburban life but don't want to pay to be treated bad. Any thoughts on the racial issue?
Don't worry about it being an issue in West Chester. This is a pretty diverse, and safe, area. Also, Lakota is an excellent school district. Come on down - we'll welcome you and make you feel right at home!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
I haven't heard about any racial tensions in the areas you mentioned. West Chester is probably the most diverse and then Blue Ash.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,077 times
^just for the record blue ash is about 4% african american. the national percantage is is around 11-12%.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
You're assuming "black people=diversity". I grew up in Blue Ash, and yes, while it is predominately white, I had friends who were Indian, Asian, Black, Hispanic, Jewish, Muslim, and all kinds of Christian denominations. It's not entirely WASPy.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 PM

West Chester, Liberty, and Fairfield Townships are very diverse and accepting of differences. There are black people, Hispanic people, Muslims, Christians, gays and lesbians, Indians, Asians.....and they all seem very comfortable and at ease here. You never once hear any problems about all of us getting along. We welcome all people to this part of the region.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Butler County has repeatedly been sued or threatend suit by the ACLU over their treatment of hispanics.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Butler County has repeatedly been sued or threatend suit by the ACLU over their treatment of hispanics.
No, they have been repeatedly sued or threatened because of their treatment of illegal immigrants, of which many are Hispanic. Big difference. And I'm not sure I would call it mistreatment. When you have an employer who is breaking the law by hiring illegals, at least our sheriff does something about it.

Please don't try to twist it into something it isn't. I LIVE in West Chester, so I know what I'm talking about. There are several Hispanic families that live on my street a few doors down, as well as the next street over. I worked with a Muslim lady at a local establishment. My one boss was a lesbian. My other boss was a black man. Not ONCE have I ever seen anyone mistreated in this area because they were of a different ethnicity, race, sexual orientation. Heck, I myself am a gay man, and there is another gay man that lives a few doors down from me. Just the other day I was in the local biggs store, and I bet 75% of the people that were in there were Hispanic, Indian or black.

Just because you don't like West Chester and Butler county gives you NO right to present false information about us up here. You have no leg to stand on, unless you'd like me to start pointing out all the flaws of Hamilton County and Cincinnati. I would recommend Butler County or Warren County to people with different ethnicities, races, religions, sexual orientations or whatever 1000 times over before I'd suggest they live in Cincinnati.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Hamilton county and cincinnati have huge ways to go and are far from perfect and it is great that you have interactions with such a panoply of the human race, but I don't believe my comments were misleading. I have spoken with social service workers who are active in the Butler county area and many hispanics, those here legally and those without immigration documents are afraid to contact the local authorities. One woman was arrested in the Tyson chicken raid who was here legally, but during the raid her documents were taken and not returned (they were being held as evidence). it made it nearly impossible for her to live normally without those documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati