Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi TomJones123--

Try, try again. It's amazing what a quick Google search can show

Unite city, county governments... now
Merge city, county government
Greg Hartmann will push for merger initiative

The city of Cincinnati needs to keep its hands off suburban tax dollars.

And remember, if you live in a larger city, the city is wasting your tax dollars. It's proven that the larger the city, the more it costs per capita. And guess what - all those miscellaneous suburban townships and holes in the wall do just fine in providing services that their residents want.
Sorry I cannot give you more notice. I just saw another article today saying the township form of government was the most efficient in the US. That sure as Hell is not big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Hi TomJones123--

Try, try again. It's amazing what a quick Google search can show

Unite city, county governments... now
Merge city, county government
Greg Hartmann will push for merger initiative
Did you really just cite an article filed under opinion, a letter to the editor, and a frustrated Hamilton county commissioner? That hardly proves any serious initiative to merge local governments into a unigov. It's amazing what following your lame shill links can show.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
And guess what - all those miscellaneous suburban townships and holes in the wall do just fine in providing services that their residents want.
Good for them. I have an idea. Why don't move to one of those hole in the wall places you like so much and leave those of us who like living in the city alone. But, like others on this forum, you just can't do that. You have to have some sort of negative comparison to prove how great your crappy little suburbs are. If they are that great they would stand on their own.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Good for them. I have an idea. Why don't move to one of those hole in the wall places you like so much and leave those of us who like living in the city alone. But, like others on this forum, you just can't do that. You have to have some sort of negative comparison to prove how great your crappy little suburbs are. If they are that great they would stand on their own.
Hi TomJones123--

I would be perfectly content with that. I'm sure many suburbanites would be, too.

But people like you keep coming for our tax dollars.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
But people like you keep coming for our tax dollars.
This is probably the dumbest thing I have seen you post. BTW - do you ever get away from your young Republican talking points?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
This is probably the dumbest thing I have seen you post. BTW - do you ever get away from your young Republican talking points?
Hi TomJones123--

If it appears dumb to you, it's the truth. I can go on and on about how the majority of people (and a massive majority of the tax dollars) in Ohio live in the suburbs. City councils and their boosters across the state look for ways to get their hands on that money, incensed that those people dare leave in the first place.

Making Suburban Taxpayers Prop Up Failing Cities

Quote:
By 2007, the Cleveland Plain Dealer was touting Minnesota-style tax sharing, while suggesting that the humble “metropolitan planning organizations” (MPOs) that have long divvied out federal transportation funding might be converted into Portland-style regional planning commissions with the power to block suburban development. With these changes, Cleveland’s regionalists aimed either to prevent would-be suburbanites from moving out of the city or to capture a chunk of tax money from suburbanites who had already left.

[snip]

Outraged board members from outlying counties felt strong-armed by Cleveland and the inner-ring suburbs of Cuyahoga County. Avon mayor Jim Smith said his supposedly voluntary agreement to “share” the town’s taxes with Cleveland felt more like the action of a hostage with a gun at his head. Cleveland’s regionalists, on the other hand, were delighted. They saw the Avon deal as a first big step for their ambitious new agenda to seize effective political and economic control of area suburbs.

And just for the record, I'm not a Republican. I am an independent who split my ballot in 2008 and will likely do so again. So, deride them as talking points all you want. But I've heard that cognitive dissonance is an unpleasant thing, and people tend to get defensive and attack the speaker when that happens.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Hi TomJones123--

If it appears dumb to you, it's the truth. I can go on and on about how the majority of people (and a massive majority of the tax dollars) in Ohio live in the suburbs. City councils and their boosters across the state look for ways to get their hands on that money, incensed that those people dare leave in the first place.

Making Suburban Taxpayers Prop Up Failing Cities
You just gave me a very compelling set of reasons to vote for Obama!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi TomJones123--

So, you freely admit that you support redirecting suburban tax dollars into cities?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Hi TomJones123--

So, you freely admit that you support redirecting suburban tax dollars into cities?
Why of course.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
Hi TomJones123--

You really think it wouldn't be a two way street? I have a feeling that if we had a regional government, I'd be paying the sewer installation bill for those poor saps on the western edge of Hamilton County who are being forced to give up their septic systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati