Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,873,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi kjbrill--

Gateway is more like Cincinnati State or Sinclair and less like Daymar or Kaplan in the sense that it's not for-profit - and thus taken more seriously. Getting your gen ed's at Gateway to take advantage of the lower tuition and then transferring those to NKU (they will all transfer) is a viable way to cut a third off the cost of a four-year college education.

This is less of a brand new campus than more of a move to larger digs. Covington has needed more college, frankly. NKU's Covington campus (just off Dixie Highway, across from the Ft. Mitchell Garage) closed in 2008, and Gateway is outgrowing their location on Amsterdam Road.

No, it won't have the "college identity" on the same scale as say, UC, UD, or Miami. Because it'll largely remain a commuter college. But I'd rather people get educated than the buildings sit empty.
That makes it seem a little more viable, particularly if it is a KY accredited school with all credits transferable to NKY, UK, or Louisville. If it has state support I am more in favor of it. It is just when I watch the constant TV ads for such as ITT Tech that I get upset. I would rather see someone go and spend money on a cross country driving school for 18-wheelers than those shyster outfits. At least if they teach you how to drive a big-rig there is some actual money to be made there.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what this school really is, but I still say a major economic boom to Covington I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM

42,052 posts, read 75,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
but I still say a major economic boom to Covington I don't think so.
These things don't happen overnight. Look at the growth of Cincinnati State or Sinclair or Clermont College.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,425,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
These things don't happen overnight. Look at the growth of Cincinnati State or Sinclair or Clermont College.
The success of most community colleges is based on money from international students from either developing countries, countries too small/population dense to have space for such a thing, or just too unpopulous to support one. Given how into the toilet the global economy is, is there really enough demand for the foreign investment necessary to keep the cost low for the local students?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 AM

25 posts, read 38,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Gateway's expansion is definitely a step in the right direction for Covington but I think that the economic impact of this is being incredibly overhyped by the media. It is going to take much more than a small commuter school to reinvigorate downtown Covington. I'm concerned that the impacts of this project are likely to cost Covington more money than it gains through an increased tax base. Community colleges are not exactly huge employers and students that commute in and out every day might not spend much money in the area.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 AM

800 posts, read 956,768 times
The Suspension Bridge was forced to be built mid-block in order to make construction of the bridge more expensive. Instead of the government leasing ROW in a public street for the approach, the bridge company was instead forced by those who had an interest in the bridge not being built to purchase expensive riverfront property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati