Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times

Advertisements

There's only one city in the Midwest that is comparable to Portland and Cincinnati it ain't. Like they say, Portland is just an avenue in Minneapolis. I'm speaking from 1st hand experience based on visits to Cincy, although if you end up there it's Northside all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^ There's no need to bring Minneapolis into the discussion, mainly because this thread's about Cincinnati-vs-Portland. Minneapolis' attributes are recognized and respected, but here and now, irrelevant.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 AM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
There's only one city in the Midwest that is comparable to Portland and Cincinnati it ain't. Like they say, Portland is just an avenue in Minneapolis. I'm speaking from 1st hand experience based on visits to Cincy, although if you end up there it's Northside all the way.
I could care less about Minneapolis.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
It seems like a nice place. I want to visit.

Though I get the impression it doesn't have the old-world feel of Cincinnati, which would be disappointing since it's nice and anywhere I've lived has had it, so I am used to the luxury.

The whole bike-friendly-with-wide-roads thing kind of creeps me out. I'm curious about it, though.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Minneapolis just got 5 inches of snow on Tuesday. No thanks.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
interesting how posts like this take it for granted that 'being like portland' is a good thing.

if i wanted to live in portland i would, oh i don't know, maybe live in portland.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
My knowledge of Portland is virtually nil except for the airport. For a number of years I relatively frequently took Delta flights from CVG to Portland and then a Delta international flight to Narita near Tokyo. I liked this arrangement. If you booked business class on the international flight Delta automatically put you in first class on the domestic flights. The Portland airport was small and easy to navigate. Upon return, customs was a breeze. They seemed to have agents geared to businessmen. While you were standing in line they would come along with their handheld devices, take your declarations, confirm your passport and reservation on a domestic flight out of Portland, and give you a pass which just whipped you around everything. Granted, most of this was prior 9/11.

For whatever reasons, I do not recall spending any time in Portland itself. The company I worked for sold a great deal of product around Seattle & Tacoma and points south. A good amount was to Boeing directly, but a larger amount was to Boeing suppliers.

My memory of flying into Portland was how much water was in the region. It is an inland not a coastal city, but is apparently at a confluence of several rivers, the names of which I had no reason to remember. But if I had to draw a contrast between Portland and Cincinnati, it would be the water. The Little Miami, the Great Miami, the Licking, the Whitewater and whatever I have left out have helped to define Cincinnati. From what I saw the rivers in Portland have helped define it also.

So my contention is forget the streetcars, etc. These two cities are connected by a much more basic need. The number one of these is water. Without water we are doomed.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
To the OP...I have lived in Cincinnati for 20 years. I was single for 6 of those years, married w/o kids for 3 years, and have been married w/ kids for the last 11 years.

You said in your original post that you have no kids & you plan to keep it that way. In which case, I think Cincinnati will work out for you just fine. During the 6 years I was single, I had a blast exploring the city and getting to know a wide variety of people, and it is easier to come across a wide variety of people here if you don't have kids. If you have kids and end up living in an outer-ring suburb like I do...well, to be blunt, the people out here are pretty boring.

You've gotten good advice here already about which parts of town to consider. I can't wait to leave my outer-ring suburb, so I urge you to focus your search on areas close to downtown like Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, Northside, etc. or on inner-ring suburbs like College Hill.

I hope you decide to move here, and I hope you post here at a later time to let us know how it's going. Best of luck.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
"I would love to hear Mplsite's opinion of MSP vs Ohio cities in a thread that doesn't mention MSP!" said no one ever.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
"I would love to hear Mplsite's opinion of MSP vs Ohio cities in a thread that doesn't mention MSP!" said no one ever.
Ahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati