Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and I'm currently working downtown. I grew up in Cincinnati in Sharonville and I'm currently living with my parents saving money before I move out. It's coming on a year since I graduated college and I'm looking to move out. I am looking to move to an area that has a lot of young professionals I can meet. Also I want to be within walking distance of local attractions in that neighborhood. My ideal choices right now are Hyde Park or downtown. The company I work for owns Sycamore Place downtown so I was heavily looking at that property but even with the discount that I would have I still dont want to spend that much to live downtown. I'm sure there are cheaper options than Sycamore Place. But also I realize that living downtown is expensive and it is not a necessity to live there by any means, I just think it would be cool and convenient.

Commute: I dont mind my commute on 71 from Pfiffer going to work everyday. It's more so the commute I have to make when I want to go out/be social. So for social reasons I'd like my commute to be shorter.

Budget: Rent-600-820, I would like to stay out of the 800's if possible but I wouldn't rule something out especially because I want to live on my own which is more expensive. (Studio/1 Bdrm)

Area: A safe area is important, I was a college athlete so I run a lot to stay in shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:35 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,339 times
You could consider something across the river (Newport or Covington). Cheaper, relatively safe, within easy walking/biking/bus distance from Downtown. Otherwise, check Craigslist for Downtown and Hyde Park. Since you're not operating on a lease currently, you can be pretty discriminating until you figure out exactly what you want.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,865,174 times
Definitely don't rule out Norwood, where it's still more reasonably priced than Hyde Park or Oakley but right next to both areas and 71. St Bernard might turn out to be a great possibility. Its housing costs are low yet it's a safe and unpretentious community with easy access to the expressway via Mitchell Ave. (Or to get downtown you could just stay on Vine St - either driving or by using Metro route 78.) You'd not be far from Clifton or Northside - nobody said yuppies and hipsters can easily find cohorts in St Bernard but that's also why rents are less. One of the geographic reference points of the town is the long hill from Mitchell up past Roger Bacon High School which descends more steeply from the top. I know runners look out for these kinds of things.
For foodstuffs there's the Shur-Fine (former IGA) supermarket right in town. Plus for "good but not good for you" eats you'd have the Priscilla Bakery, Dairy Queen, Long John Silver's, Chili Time, and Dairy Queen close at hand. Not only that, the venerable - but varying in quality - Blue Gibbon is right next door in Paddock Hills for when ya gotta have Chinese take-out.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,955,153 times
you aren't going to find downtown housing in your price range. so cross that off. you could probably find something in Oakley.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,978,708 times
Can you find a roommate? You can get a nicer place, share utilities, and have a friend there every night. But yeah, I would recommend Oakley (within walking distance of Oakley Square) or Clifton.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM

577 posts, read 1,284,369 times
I would check out Hyde Park, Oakley, Downtown, OTR, and Clifton.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,462,640 times
I would look into Oakley and the Rookwood side of Norwood. I had to choose between those two with my last move. I eventually picked Norwood because you get more space for your money yet you are still close to everything.

The commute north on 71 is relatively pain free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: