Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yes. Besides, Cleveland's MSA being smaller than Cincinnati's is pretty nit-picky. They are virtually the same size. Cleveland's tv market, however, is considerably larger. Cleveland's tv market it similarly sized to Miami's and bigger than Denver, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Portland, Baltimore, Columbus, San Diego, Kansas City.

But anyway, I'm just curious, besides wanting to get federal money for possible infrastructure projects, why else would someone from Cincinnati want to be associated with Dayton? I see the two kind of late Cleveland-Akron, only Dayton is kinda more boring and worse than Akron, and farther away from the bigger city. At least in my mind, when I think of Cincinnati, I think of civilization, of a real city with its own culture and fun things to do. When I've been to Dayton (which admittedly is only like twice), I couldn't wait to leave. Just not a whole lot happening. Just not a whole lot of personality compared to Cincinnati.
Many people find modern art museums worse than boring. Cincinnati, however, does have the zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Many people find modern art museums worse than boring. Cincinnati, however, does have the zoo.
Who said anything about modern art?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Who said anything about modern art?
Thought there was nice, new modern art building barely ten years old in un-boring downtown Cincinnati (6th & Walnut).

Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Besides, Cincinnati & Dayton are only an inch apart on the map...

Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
But anyway, I'm just curious, besides wanting to get federal money for possible infrastructure projects, why else would someone from Cincinnati want to be associated with Dayton? I see the two kind of late Cleveland-Akron, only Dayton is kinda more boring and worse than Akron, and farther away from the bigger city. At least in my mind, when I think of Cincinnati, I think of civilization, of a real city with its own culture and fun things to do. When I've been to Dayton (which admittedly is only like twice), I couldn't wait to leave. Just not a whole lot happening. Just not a whole lot of personality compared to Cincinnati.
Cincy being joined to Dayton is kinda like being shackled to a corpse

Old 02-08-2013, 07:23 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Cincy being joined to Dayton is kinda like being shackled to a corpse
ROFLMAO! Very valid point.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I don't find many reasons to go to Dayton anymore, just like Cincinnati. In fact my last few trips through the downtown of either city were to either take someone to or pickup someone up at an airport or take someone to a hospital for a procedure.

But I still see little reason to keep bashing Dayton. Kicking someone when they are down accomplishes little for anyone. When I was working I spent quite a bit of time in Dayton, mostly at the automotive plants on the south side of the city. I considered it a vibrant city with some of the best restaurants in the entire area. Obviously the problems with the US Automotive Industry affected Dayton greatly, primarily GM. NCR puts up a good front, but I believe they are a shadow of the dominant company they once were.

But to say Dayton is the pits - why? It may be suffering, but until Wright Patt picks up stakes and leaves town it alone can shore up a good percentage of the city. Like just about every place in the US, Dayton is looking for ways to shore up its business environment.

As far as attractions, Dayton has the National Museum of the USAF. How many of you detractors have ever been there? Cincinnati in turn has the Freedom Center. Guess which one I would rather and have visited?

I personally see no reason to drive the Cin-Day single metro concept. If it evolves fine, but to promote it why? I also see no reason to bash Dayton, they will rebound, why - because they are Ohioans who are survivors.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But I still see little reason to keep bashing Dayton.
That's what people do when they want to feel superior to other people.

Quote:
mostly at the automotive plants on the south side of the city. I considered it a vibrant city with some of the best restaurants in the entire area. Obviously the problems with the US Automotive Industry affected Dayton greatly, primarily GM. NCR puts up a good front, but I believe they are a shadow of the dominant company they once were.
All gone, or mostly so. GM closed its plant, NCR left for Atlanta and sold its property to UD, and even L'Auberge closed about a year ago and all its "stuff" went up for auction recently.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I gotta say I agree with KJ...

I think its really funny that people who are crazy Cinci-boosters on threads and who jump on anyone who suggests there are things yet to be improved - then go out of their way to criticize a neighboring city that by all accounts, is not terribly different from where there own city was a few decades ago.

If you don't live in Chicago, NYC, LA -- you are not living in a cultural mecca. (and those cities have their own issues, to be certain)

As a transplant to SW Ohio, I find Dayton and Cinci (culturally) to be indistinguishable -- both have things to offer, if I want to partake.

Since I live dead center - I go to either. I have been to theatres in both cities (Aronoff v. Schuster Center) Personally, I thought the Schuster center was much nicer, the Aronoff is a bit dated.

I have been to clubs in both towns, and heard some live music in both towns. I have not been to the Cinci zoo, but without children, zoos are not a big factor in my life.

Both cities have art museums, Dayton has a hands-on children's museum that is well regarded (I'm sure cinci has something similar, but my coworkers with kids are from dayton)..

Dayton is smaller than Cinci... so what? I would guess it has always been smaller than Cinci. That's not much of a criticism.

Dayton has yet to fully rebound from being dependent on some large companies that left (NCR, etc..) along with the military...

Well, they're trying. Cinci has yet to rebound fully from the years of urban decay that has occurred there, but they're trying to..

(and yes, I know Dayton also has urban decay).

You've got two mid-level cities, separated by NOT 50 miles, and the locals (and adopted locals who have moved to one and decided to continually villify the others) can't seem to understand that to OUTSIDERS they are at most marginally different.

The fact that goetta doesn't make it that far North, does not (to suburban transplants such as myself) actually differentiate the cities, for all that locals seem to think its a big deal.

Eventually, they will merge. Not in a decade, perhaps not in 2 - but eventually as demographic trends continue and the I-75 corridor is continued to be populated by businesses/vibrant growing communities, the logic for keeping these two areas separated statistically will fail.

That said, if you still want to identify with your own little neighborhood of 5 square miles, and ignore the fact that you live in a sea of development (of varying degrees) from mile marker 74 (Troy) all the way past Florence - be my guest.

If anything it is that insular world view that unites the population of the two cities/metros, more than anything else. The locals care about THEIR locale, and don't give two cents about anything happening more than 10 miles away!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But to say Dayton is the pits - why? It may be suffering, but until Wright Patt picks up stakes and leaves town it alone can shore up a good percentage of the city. Like just about every place in the US, Dayton is looking for ways to shore up its business environment.
Why say Dayton is the pits you ask? Because it is. If Cincinnati were there pits I would be the first to say. If Dayton had a 1/4 of the forward momentum as Cincinnati, I would sing it's praises. The Dayton you knew is gone, long gone. The factories are closed and shuttered, the economy nearly gone. To be clear, there is still manufacturing taking place there, just on a much smaller scale, and not nearly enough to support the populace - which is one reason so many have left Dayton.

Wright Patt? Man, that's an in house/in-clique affair that benefits Green County and Beavercreek. It benefits Dayton in name only, though I will concede that it does help buoy the metro. I would compare the Dayton metro to a donut. The suburban ring around Dayton is healthy, and shows moderate growth from time to time, whereas Dayton proper is a hole.

I know of a potentially significant movement afoot in Dayton similar to 3CDC, but am not at liberty to comment further at this time. Should this group gain traction, as I suspect they will, then I will have a lot of hope for Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati