Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,287 times

Advertisements

Hi, all -

I've been a lurker on the forum but cannot seem to find an answer to what I'm looking for. From what I've read, Mt. Healthy isn't particularly recommended for their school system, which isn't a concern for me as I have no children.
Long story short, I'm a 24, single female currently living in West Chester (moved here for a job). I work in Fairfield but I'd like to be closer to the city. While West Chester is nice and is close to work, it isn't really the demographic for single people my age and puts me 30-45 minutes from anything interesting downtown, without traffic.

Where is you current location and environment? West Chester - 1 bedroom apartment
Where will your work location be? Fairfield
Maximum commute time desired? With the way 75 gets sometimes, I'm hesitant to move to the areas like Hyde Park and Oakley. I don't want to spend an hour in the car for a commute to work in the morning
What is you budget for housing? If I could keep rent under $800 without utilities, that would be perfect.
Rent or buy? Renting for another year
Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Single family, condo, townhome
Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 2 bedroom, no preference on bath, sq. ft over 900?
Other specifics? Fenced yard
Neighborhood environment? Safe
Urban, young professional, nightlife This would be nice, but I'm not thinking I can have a reasonable commute (30 minutes with traffic?) one way AND a nightlife..
Diversity of income, race, housing? Very safe, low crime area? Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? Diversity/race isn't a concern, but I want a safe area to live.
Schools? Not applicable
Community amenities? Not particularly important - Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
I've been in touch with someone that has a 4 bedroom for rent on Harding off Madison. It's bigger than I was looking for but I may be able to rent it for a good price, plus I believe it has a relatively large fenced yard. It's near the apartment complexes, which is a minor concern as I found a recent article about a shooting on that block. I need to do a drive by before I discuss the property any further with the owner, but is it worth it? I'm flexible on a lot of factors. Another 10 minutes drive time for the perfect rental with a fenced yard in a safer neighborhood could be worth it.
Is there another place I should consider looking that would put me within a reasonable distance between work and downtown, within my price range, and have what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM

50 posts, read 82,780 times
Where are you in Fairfield? That's a broad area. If your job is near to the 275 loop, I wouldn't dismiss Oakley outright, especially if your concern is to be closer to your demographic. There are blocks in Oakley where you could jump on 71 up to 275 over to Fairfield in <30 minutes (to avoid 75). The further north you are in Fairfield you are though, the harder that would become.

Another option you might look into is Blue Ash. It'd be a quick shot on 275 to Fairfield, but also fairly short drive to Oakley/Hyde Park on 71 or you could get downtown in about 15-20 minutes without traffic. Blue Ash itself has a pretty cute downtown area.

I also thought of Clifton and Northside. Not sure exactly how the commute up to Fairfield would be - your option would be US-127 if you're avoiding 75. Again, it might depend on where you are exactly in Fairfield. And if you are concerned about safety, Northside still feels a little "gritty", although every time I am over there, it seems there's another fun looking shop/bar that's opened.

Honestly I don't know much about Mt Healthy besides having driven through it a few times. It doesn't impress me as being either awesome or terrible. It is nicely situated for your work, but I don't know if it would be a fun place to live for a 24 year old. I definitely don't think it's your only option though.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
To OP...

Mt Healthy is definitely not turning for the best. It seems to be getting rougher and rougher.

There are some apartments down near Reading, they are actually perhaps in Amberley on the fringe of the old Ridgewood Golf Club, which I believe has been closed for some time. They could be convenient to your job in Fairfield but also much closer to activity in the City.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and move because I want to live in X place, leaving concerns about commute behind. Either that, or just move to Fairfield.

Mt. Healthy is a compromise in every way, including safety.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,147 times
Education demographic isn't high overall. It's about who you want as a neighbor too.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,287 times
Bypassing on the Mt. Healthy house.. it looked rough and wasn't completely fenced. If anyone is looking for a couch, there seems to be a lovely one waiting outside there for ya. Maybe a mattress, too.

I'm on the south side of Fairfield, close to 275. I appreciate the help, I really do. Having not lived anywhere other than West Chester I guess I don't have a concept of general distances for the daily commute. I spoke with my manager today, too, so I can switch my hours from starting at 8 to either 7 or 8 to miss the heaviest rush hour which will be a blessing.

I'll check in to Oakley, Blue Ash, Northside and Clifton. Haven't found anything in Reading yet, a coworker had suggested I look there.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Don't look at Reading proper. Try listings in Anberley Vilkage. I believe they are either in just township, or between Amberley and Reading. They will use the Amberley designation as that is more upscale, but from what I have seen they are definitely Reading. Don't investigate Blue Ash or Montgomery, too expensive. Oakley, too far. Clifton or Northside - Why?

You can't find enough action around West Chester? Then move to downtown Hamilton. You will find enough action there, it may not be what you are looking for but it will be action.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't look at Reading proper. Try listings in Anberley Vilkage. I believe they are either in just township, or between Amberley and Reading. They will use the Amberley designation as that is more upscale, but from what I have seen they are definitely Reading. Don't investigate Blue Ash or Montgomery, too expensive. Oakley, too far. Clifton or Northside - Why?

You can't find enough action around West Chester? Then move to downtown Hamilton. You will find enough action there, it may not be what you are looking for but it will be action.
Agreed. Downtown Hamilton really has a lot going for it - beautiful location, beautiful buildings, and a growing "Yuppie" population.

Otherwise, if you are willing to try Reading and Mt. Healthy, you might as well look at Greenhills. Interesting community with great walkability surrounded by Winton Woods. There are some stores in the center of town which offer a variety of items to meet everyday needs. It's not a bohemian paradise by any means, but it is a cute community which should inexpensively meet your needs.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
In terms of inexpensive yet decent housing in a safe environment, add St Bernard to your list. An "added plus" would be the reverse commute on I-75 in the mornings from Mitchell Ave. (I've posted multiple times about this community so need not elaborate here.)

Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Greenhills suffers from some of the same decline issues as Mt. Healthy, but to a much lesser extent and if you use reasonable care choosing a rental it could be an excellent choice location-wise. It suffers a small amount of property crime, but should overall be very safe. There are plenty of everyday retail options like groceries you'd pass to and from your commute to work. Definitely worth checking out. Sorry I didn't suggest it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati