Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 AM

294 posts, read 515,969 times
Wow, I am looking at the now empty can and it clearly says distributed by P&G Toronto / made in USA.

Oddly, there is no best before date on the can.

I am a stickler for this kind of thing. I won't buy any food from dollar store places as they often look the same as premium brands but are made in China.

I will call the 1-800 number on the can and ask my grocery store ( large national chain ) about this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
P&G sold Pringles to Kellogg's last year, and no longer manufactures food or beverages.
P&G has to make decisions as to the various business segments they want to be engaged in. Why they held on to Pringles for so long amazes me. If you are going to be in the snack business then you have to set you sights on meeting or besting the biggest in the business, such as Frito-Lay. That means you have to roll out a whole product line to be competitive. And a reconsituted potato chip is just not going to cut it, no matter how many millions you pour into advertising.

There was a reason P&G was known as the soap-opera company, as they sponsored more than anyone else. But that was back in the era when most wives were housewives and stayed at home. They could take the time to listen to or watch the soap-opera. But that time is no more. So you have to change.

I also remember when P&G had multiple of the same product in stores. Remember the Crest versus the Gleem days? One time period it was the New & Improved Gleem with a huge advertising budget. This would be followed by a period of New & Improved Crest with an equally huge advertising budget. But through it all both brands were on the store shelves. The same scenario was played over and over between Cheer and Tide.

Go into a store today and you may see same tactic being played by a competitor, specifically Colgate-Palmolive. They have figured out a way to put more variations of toothpaste on the shelf than I thought could have existed. Did P&G become complacent? Is Colgate-Palmolive beating them at their own game?

But one thing you do not want to overlook. Most of P&G's sales expansion for years has come from overseas. So if Wal-Mart does not want to stock their product because they will not lower the price sufficiently to give them an edge, that is just more of an incentive for P&G to concentrate on their overseas operations. And the brain-trust to do that is headquartered here in Cincinnati.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Default My P and G pringles

Funny, the can says distibuted by Procter and Gamble and made in USA. No best before date, either.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
P&G has a very inclusive hiring policy. I don't know the demographic make-up of their workforce, but they are for example highly rated by LGBT groups, and have even gone to bat for LGBT rights in the city before.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Funny, the can says distibuted by Procter and Gamble and made in USA. No best before date, either.
Could the date have been on the seal part and you threw it away?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Wow, I am looking at the now empty can and it clearly says distributed by P&G Toronto / made in USA.

Oddly, there is no best before date on the can.

I am a stickler for this kind of thing. I won't buy any food from dollar store places as they often look the same as premium brands but are made in China.

I will call the 1-800 number on the can and ask my grocery store ( large national chain ) about this one.
2012 wasn't that long ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Natninja,

LOL, I was just rooting in the garbage for the seal. Stay tuned !

Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Nope, no date on the seal . Just a serial number 99877808 and a" bursting with flavour" logo.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 AM

What are LGBT groups ?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
What are LGBT groups ?
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered. From what I understand, there is also an active group of LGBT P&G employees. I don't know what they actually do. I guess it's social in nature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati