Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,623 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Cincinnati for his job. Neither one of us have ever been there (other then when we were there for his interview). We are 29 & 30 and plan to start a family in the next year. Can anyone recommend areas where we should look to purchase a house? We would rather buy then rent at this point in our lives. Just a few things to consider: We would prefer to live near or around the city because we like to have access to shopping, restaurants, and things to do. I am a runner and have to live in a neighborhood that I can run, preferably right out my door. My husbands job is in Blue Ash and he would prefer not to drive further than 30 minutes to work. We would like to stay in the $225,000 range and be able to have 3 or 4 bedrooms. We are not really into suburban living so want to stay away from areas too far away from the city. Good schools and a safe neighborhood for me to run. Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Oakley, East Walnut Hills, North Avondale, and Clifton are city neighborhoods you might want to take a look at. Hyde Park, too, but that might be too pricy. Columbia-Tusculum or Mt. Lookout are other possibilities.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM

224 posts, read 376,883 times
Aaltman, welcome to Cincinnati! I think you will like it here.

Along with natininja's good suggestions, you might want to look at Northern Kentucky neighborhoods - though that makes the commute to Blue Ash a bit longer. Fort Thomas is one of my favorites.

Wherever you live in Greater Cincinnati you will have access to a variety of private schools, if the public school system is not what you are looking for.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
In addition to the above, pleasant ridge is a city neighborhood with favorable proximity to Blue Ash. You should be able to find a 3BR on a nice street in your price range

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Pittsburgh but we lived in city proper in an area called Shadyside. We heard both Oakley and Hyde Park from a few people but then just this morning someone from Cincinnati said not to live in Oakley because it was dangerous????? Also, mentioned Hyde Park was very noisy. Any thoughts on those comments???

Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Those comments sound like BS to me.

If you want something like Shadyside, you could look at Northside or Clifton. I didn't say Northside before because you want a big house. Though there are big houses there, as well as rowhouses like you find in Shadyside. Clifton is the safer one of the two.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM

50 posts, read 82,799 times
Oakley is not really dangerous.

Agree with most suggestions above. I think you'd struggle to find a house big enough in Hyde Park in that price range, and I think Northern Kentucky might put you out of the 30 minute commute window. My choices for you would be Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, Clifton.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
You can also put Norwood in the mix. Norwood is a separate city completely encircled by Cincinnati. Norwood is to the north side of I-71 from Hyde Park and Oakley and is adjacent to the Cincinnati neighborhood of Pleasant Ridge. All 4 would be very reasonable commutes to Blue Ash.

Depending on the location in Blue Ash it may be possible to avoid I-71 by taking some alternate streets such as Montgomery and Blue Ash Rds. Time will be a little longer but a lot less hassle.

Northside and Clifton are definitely considerations but start to stretch the commute out some and likely definitely put I-71 in the picture.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaltman View Post
I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Pittsburgh but we lived in city proper in an area called Shadyside. We heard both Oakley and Hyde Park from a few people but then just this morning someone from Cincinnati said not to live in Oakley because it was dangerous????? Also, mentioned Hyde Park was very noisy. Any thoughts on those comments???
Oakley is not dangerous. It's one of the better neighborhoods in the city. I don't see how Hyde Park could be considered noisy. Where I live is noisy, but there are a lot less people and activity in Hyde Park than CUF.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said, we have no idea what Cincinnati is like so I just wanted to get some feedback. I honestly thought it was strange that everyone we talked to was saying Hyde Park and Oakley and then this one person said "You do not want to live in those areas". Not sure what that was all about, but thanks again for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati