Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,847,369 times

Advertisements

...from what was indicated, the OP will likely be settling in the UC vicinity (Cliton, CUF, Corryville.) But "just in case," there are degrees of safety/livability in each of the areas which have been brought up that are being settled by Hispanics. I'll rank them here, in order of "desirability":
1. Fairfield
2. Norwood
3. Hartwell
4. Carthage
5. Elmwood Place
6. Hamilton
7. Lower Price Hill

Each of the first three are bustling and diverse. Fairfield by far is the most suburban of the bunch, bisected by the multi-lane Route 4 and completely lacking bus service. Norwood and Hartwell are well-established older enclaves which have historically been overwhelmingly White but seem to be adjusting comfortably to having "people of color" among their residents. (Caucasians continue to move in as well as out.) Carthage is faring less well. Although most of its side streets remain pleasant places to live the main thoroughfare - Vine St - is cluttered with vacant businesses and no longer has any "destination" retailers. Bicycles, tropical fish, and jewelry were once among things which people traveled to Carthage to buy - no more. A large fraternal order (think Elks, Masons, etc) has vacated its building. Elmwood Place to the south is in the same state of decline. It does still play home to a Moose hall, which last year was the scene of a brawl at a party which was large enough to make the papers. Lower Price Hill and much of Hamilton were never places anyone with the finances wanted to remain long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 04:39 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,122,662 times
I say bogus. White/Mexican heritage couples are huge in New Mexico and the odds of being denied service is all but nil.

Hate to tell the OP, but your not in an Interracial relationship, as being of Mexican decent doesn't designate race. My family is a mix of mostly White and Mexican background and have been in the southwest since the the 1900s. Ive heard my fair share of stories but Ive never heard a refusal of service especially in a place like Albuquerque

Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,847,369 times
Everyone's experiences and opinions are different, thanks for respecting that.
You're also nit-picking about how to label a relationship when the respective individuals' skin tones are noticeably different. A redneck isn't going to stop and say, "Wait a minute, this is a bi-cultural couple and not an interracial one. Never mind."

Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 AM

213 posts, read 675,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I say bogus. White/Mexican heritage couples are huge in New Mexico and the odds of being denied service is all but nil.

Hate to tell the OP, but your not in an Interracial relationship, as being of Mexican decent doesn't designate race. My family is a mix of mostly White and Mexican background and have been in the southwest since the the 1900s. Ive heard my fair share of stories but Ive never heard a refusal of service especially in a place like Albuquerque
Same here. When I read that red flags flew up. I have family in ABQ and have visited many times. Never once have I heard a story or a claim like this. No way that would fly in such a diverse city as ABQ is.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,822,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Same here. When I read that red flags flew up. I have family in ABQ and have visited many times. Never once have I heard a story or a claim like this. No way that would fly in such a diverse city as ABQ is.
Everyone's experiences are different. But I find it strange you challenge their statements they were refused service and even threatened in Albuquerque. I have no idea what section of town they were in, but I can certainly see this happening. The Redneck bar in Mason mentioned which posted a sign Speak English for Service is certainly that kind of dump. They took the sign down only when threatened it could revoke their liquor license. But I will guarantee they have not changed their attitude. Those of us who live here, and don't go there, recognize they are a throwback to the KKK days of Cincinnati. Some ideas die very hard.

Cut these people some slack. If they state coming to Cincinnati is a hope for a better environment I can second that and wish they are right.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,109 times
No matter how tolerant a city, there will be idiots you run the risk of encountering. Such an experience can understandably shake someone up, perhaps to the point they no longer feel comfortable in that location.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM

688 posts, read 1,118,816 times
For pertaining to such a small segment of the population there seems to be an overwhelming, call it disproportionate, emphasis on questions regarding race relations and attitudes towards homosexuals on these forum boards. I, for one, chalk most of it up to fomenting arguments colloquially referred to as "trolling" in internet parlance.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ositapiscita View Post
He is Mexican and I am white.
Is that even interracial? White and Mexican, I wouldn't bat an eye either. (I'm not from Cincinnati, so can't say for that city, but can't imagine anyone would care).

Amazing that ABQ they did, being that it's suppose to be a very Mexican/White/Native American mixed city.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,822,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
For pertaining to such a small segment of the population there seems to be an overwhelming, call it disproportionate, emphasis on questions regarding race relations and attitudes towards homosexuals on these forum boards. I, for one, chalk most of it up to fomenting arguments colloquially referred to as "trolling" in internet parlance.
So who are you labeling the trolls, those posting the original commentary or those responding to it?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
So who are you labeling the trolls, those posting the original commentary or those responding to it?
Most certainly, "trolls lurk amongst us," but they may not necessarily generate all the flames that consume many a thread. Let's face it--as Homo sapiens, most of us harbor primitive, tribal, and polarized attitudes towards both race and sex that affect virtually everything we think and say. That we're so much and so little an evolved animal species is both a blessing and a curse, and we stumble over this fact every time we tap our keyboards. So who knows? In a generalized sense, perhaps we're all "trolls."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati