Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM

213 posts, read 674,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Thanks for the great info everyone. Restoration Consultant, what is the name of the neighbourhhood where the Fleetwood and Werkcastle houses are located ? There is one set back, not visble from the street, with a large property.

I will be doing more exploring here. Toronto has ravines, too but not the hills like Cincy. I had no idea about the hills until I began exploring , etc but there are more than 7. I had to smile when some one on a post did not know the seven hills reference was from Rome originally.

I know the east /west side thing exists in Cleveland , too, but it goes have a geographical division as well as the cultural ...plus downtown is in the middle.
It amazes me that people say they have never been to the other side of their own city.
The neighborhood is just called Westwood. You maybe be talking about the Fleetwood Mansion which is a huge property that sets back off the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
There is a lot of information on the Westwood Historical site:

Westwood Historic Society - [Home]

Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM

213 posts, read 674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Kinda wouldn't surprise me if westsiders had their own secret web forum they post on.
Believe it or not they sort of actually do. It's on a sports forum site.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Believe it or not they sort of actually do. It's on a sports forum site.
I should have guessed! Maybe maplelady should have a gander over there.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM

148 posts, read 213,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
I know the west side does not get much attention on this board ( as an observation from a neutral person who has never been to the area) and I wonder why. I have been looking at the areas of Fleetwoord Ave and Werkcastle, for example. Looks beautiful, solid for sure and well kept. I think these are within city limits.

There seems to be many small green space. Are these ravines ?
Here's my simple anecdotal observation, so attackers sharpen your weapons.
A bit of context- I moved to the Cincy area two years ago and live near the I-71/I-275 cross. I LOVE the mobility which those freeways provide.
So now westside. PROS- fairly rich history. Scenic beauty of I-74 is probably my favorite in the area. CONS- I've made two journeys westside and not looking to return. (1) was to Elder HS, and the roads around there are too hilly for my taste. I've lived on mountains, so I'm over that curiousity. I value function over form in this case. And no main arteries. I felt claustrophobic (as a driver), same thing I don't like about Mt. Adams. (2) was to Lasalle HS, and the roads there are "secondary road hell", Colerain Ave. I think it was, cars tight like sardines, red-light after red-light, feeling "stuck" the deeper-in we went. Nice people in both places, for sure, felt like family in some ways.

Last edited by 5thgencincy; 03-07-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
The east side is better. We don't want their west side ways here.

Cleveland is very much like Cincinnati in its east-west split. In fact, it might be even more pronounced.
As a Cleveland East Sider, you're darn right...it's very pronounced lol...except for Lakewood, Ohio City, and Edgewater Park, I never would go any further to Cleveland's West Side and no way in hades would I live in it lol...
It seems to me the East Side here has more money in it and seemingly always has.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As a Cleveland East Sider, you're darn right...it's very pronounced lol...except for Lakewood, Ohio City, and Edgewater Park, I never would go any further to Cleveland's West Side and no way in hades would I live in it lol...
Years ago, in the Plain Dealer Magazine (RIP), around the time the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" was published, there was a little column about what real Clevelanders do or don't do, and one of them was:

Real Clevelanders never cross the Cuyahoga.

Why would you want to go to Edgewater when you could go to Headlands? It's much nicer ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati