Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times

Advertisements

Data shows there are cities getting smarter about parking. San Francisco has a new parking program which most definitely has brought prices down at times and places, as well as up in other times and places. But I guess you only want to look at data that supports your biases.

I won't get into the city's enormously successful public-private development partnerships in this thread. Nor the fact that the primary budget problems the city faces are structurally innate fossils from the past, common in cities across the country, and not the product of policy decisions made by current or recent government officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I would go on a limb and say that natininja is being sarcastic towards those who usually slam city management as being inept at everything, all the while lauding the private sector's efficiency in all things. Just a guess.
Me, sarcastic? I would never.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM

688 posts, read 1,117,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Hopefully this isnt a duplicate thread. What do you all think of this idea? I think its a bad idea, based on the companys prior records in other cities. I really think it will stifle business downtown. I see that a lawsuit has been filed, so that it can become a ballot measure, I hope they win. Unfortunately, sometimes with those ballot measures, the language is so convoluted, voters really dont know if they are voting yes or no.

Cincinnati, is not like Chicago, or NY and cannot sustain exorbitant parking prices downtown. I cannot vote in city elections, but am curious of your thoughts?
I think it's a bad idea but for a different reason than you reference.

My understanding is the city is under the temptation to sell the claim on the future parking revenue stream for an up-front cash payment now to primarily be used to plug a hole in the Cincinnati public employees pension. Sadly, this is a temporary fix. Ergo, Cincinnati leadership is considering giving away a revenue stream for a one-time cash payment that won't permanently solve the pension fund problems only to see the entitlement issue rear its head again in the future as growth in pension entitlements outpaces tax revenue. Problem is the next time around the city will be lacking the parking revenue to not only fund the pension but other city operations as well.

Until the city gets the runaway growth in pension costs under control they should not be looking to sell city assets to plug any existing gaps.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM

865 posts, read 1,473,264 times
Just to clarify Zen_Master, the city will be getting a $92 million lump sum up front, and $3 million annually which will increase over time.

I read the plan, and here's my understanding:

1. A maximum of $.25 per hour increase every three years, and the rates are capped. So over the course of the 30 year lease, people could be paying $2.50 more.

2. The company has no power to increase rates, install meters in new locations, remove meters, or change hours of operation. The city has to approve all of these things.

3. There are only 7 city owned parking garages/surface lots downtown. So if people choose to, they can park in the numerous other garages and lots not covered by this deal.

4. Sundays and holidays remain free

The only thing that has me a little concered is the complaints about the company.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I think it's a bad idea but for a different reason than you reference.

My understanding is the city is under the temptation to sell the claim on the future parking revenue stream for an up-front cash payment now to primarily be used to plug a hole in the Cincinnati public employees pension. Sadly, this is a temporary fix. Ergo, Cincinnati leadership is considering giving away a revenue stream for a one-time cash payment that won't permanently solve the pension fund problems only to see the entitlement issue rear its head again in the future as growth in pension entitlements outpaces tax revenue. Problem is the next time around the city will be lacking the parking revenue to not only fund the pension but other city operations as well.

Until the city gets the runaway growth in pension costs under control they should not be looking to sell city assets to plug any existing gaps.
This is the reason I'm against it...not because it may cost me a little more to park...and that fact that this company has had so many complaints against them...couldn't they have found a more ethical company to work with? Why not bid it out to several companies to compete against each other instead of giving one company a monopoly.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
This is the reason I'm against it...not because it may cost me a little more to park...and that fact that this company has had so many complaints against them...couldn't they have found a more ethical company to work with? Why not bid it out to several companies to compete against each other instead of giving one company a monopoly.
Hi ohioaninsc--

It's the way the likes of Mark Mallory and Roxanne Qualls work - ram something through as quickly as possible so there's no debate or discussion. Find out what they signed after they've signed it. Probably because most of the $92 million lump sum payment will wind up funding the streetcar.

Sell one asset to pay for another.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM

246 posts, read 498,806 times
And what would happen if the company goes bankrupt or revenues don't cover the expense of maintaining the operation?

I think the comment made earlier about this being seen as an easy fix to pay for pensions is the most correct. As stated, that problem will not go away and future city governments will have to devise some other way of addressing it.

At this point, I would not be inclined to give the operation to a private company as I don't think it's motive will be to give the city the best deal. It's motive will be to give itself the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Just to clarify Zen_Master, the city will be getting a $92 million lump sum up front, and $3 million annually which will increase over time.

I read the plan, and here's my understanding:

1. A maximum of $.25 per hour increase every three years, and the rates are capped. So over the course of the 30 year lease, people could be paying $2.50 more.

2. The company has no power to increase rates, install meters in new locations, remove meters, or change hours of operation. The city has to approve all of these things.

3. There are only 7 city owned parking garages/surface lots downtown. So if people choose to, they can park in the numerous other garages and lots not covered by this deal.

4. Sundays and holidays remain free

The only thing that has me a little concered is the complaints about the company.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi ohioaninsc--

It's the way the likes of Mark Mallory and Roxanne Qualls work - ram something through as quickly as possible so there's no debate or discussion. Find out what they signed after they've signed it. Probably because most of the $92 million lump sum payment will wind up funding the streetcar.

Sell one asset to pay for another.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I'll take a bus and then walk when I need to go downtown. Don't be surprised if a rise in ridership on city buses heading into downtown is a result of higher parking fees at downtown meters.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'll take a bus and then walk when I need to go downtown. Don't be surprised if a rise in ridership on city buses heading into downtown is a result of higher parking fees at downtown meters.
The city already stated if the kept control of the meters and lots they would raise rates, so either way rates will go up. At least this way the rate increases are capped and stated in the agreement. I usually take the bus downtown anyway, or walk.

The potential lease will affect the entire city, not just downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati