Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:12 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times

Advertisements

Mt Washington has some things going for it and some things going against it. I looked long and hard about moving there when I was house shopping. It has some very nice streets and there some hidden gem homes. There are a lot of smaller homes and some newer developments, including a large area that was built in the 1960s (think bi-level/tri-level homes). Sands Mont is a magnet but is one of the best elementary schools in the CPS system. The business district isn't too bad. Having a Kroger is nice plus a few new places have opened up like the wine/beer store and Ramundus Pizza (sp?). Stanberry Park has a nice trail loop but there is panhandling there. MtW also (like many many many areas) struggles with drug problems and there seems to be a lot of shady apartment buildings. Also, a lot of streets oddly lack sidewalks.

I can't speak much on Anderson. I really only go there to get my free oil changes from Subaru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
cincydave - thanks for the reply. Would mind describing why you decided against moving to Mt Wash?

Did you just find an area you liked better? Or was it that the house you wanted happened to be elsewhere?

Hoping for any input from others too. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:05 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
We just liked Pleasant Ridge better. We liked the biz district more but mostly because my wife works in Norwood so her commute would have been terrible from MtW compared to the 5 minutes it is now.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Mt. Washington is declining. Years ago it was a mix of blue and white collar working families. Today? Section 8 layabouts and elderly.

Anderson is ascending.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
I was in that park in Mt.Washington a few months ago, Stanbery, and it was a nice park but what was going on was super shady. There were old men trolling for hookups, some homeless teens that looked to be living there, and drug deals going on in the parking lot. I just parked there at lunch to eat my burger and it was so shady I didn't get out of my car. It was not scary, just shady.

I imagine that like many communities within Cincinnati, there are good people trying to stem the tide of decline. Sadly I think that the magnet Montessori school becoming a lottery-only school will have a negative effect on Mt.Washington as there is no way to predict or influence your kid getting accepted. Which means fewer families will think to roll the dice on actually living IN Mt.W.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Mt. Washington is declining. Anderson is ascending.
Given that they basically overlap or spill into each other, I'm curious about the nuance that you see or know of that make those statements definitive to you. Thx.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 AM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Given that they basically overlap or spill into each other, I'm curious about the nuance that you see or know of that make those statements definitive to you. Thx.
One big difference is Mt. Washington is in the Cincinnati Public Schools district. Anderson is the Forest Hills School District.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Anderson is ascending.
Not compared to what it was 25+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati