Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times

Advertisements

Anyone surprised?

Bass Pro Shops moving to West Chester, adding eatery | Developing Now

Is all that's left down at the mall with some new flavor of the day name (I still think of it as Forest Fair - haven't been keeping up with all of the turmoil) is Kohl's and Burlington Coat Factory?

Hopefully they demolish it soon (the former Bass Pro and all the mall).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
All that's left worth shopping at is Kohls

Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Didn't someone talk about setting up Forest Fair Mall as a square dancing venue? In addition to a dozen other goofy ideas?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
The only question is where the new hotspot will be in another 30 years, when West Chester is in a state of decline like Forest Park and Fairfield. Yay, suburbia. "Growth" which leaves behind it a path of destruction and decay is no growth at all.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,858 times
Yay for growth

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Anyone surprised?

Bass Pro Shops moving to West Chester, adding eatery | Developing Now

Is all that's left down at the mall with some new flavor of the day name (I still think of it as Forest Fair - haven't been keeping up with all of the turmoil) is Kohl's and Burlington Coat Factory?

Hopefully they demolish it soon (the former Bass Pro and all the mall).
It will never be demolished, It cost 200 million to build. Would you want your home to be demolished?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:29 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
It will never be demolished, It cost 200 million to build. Would you want your home to be demolished?
It may have cost 200 million to build, but it has been a white elephant for how many years now? Every time I read about some wild haired idea to convert it I think and what else are you trying to sell - the Brooklyn Bridge? I think Bass Pro decided to relocate just to not be connected with the stigma of the place. They can say they were out of space, but that is rediculous. A couple of walls knocked out and they could have tripled their space at Forest Fair, yes I still call it that as no other name has stuck. As I stated Bass Pro just desires to get away from the stigma of a failed enterprise, and I don't blame them. The only thing I don't understand is why they stayed there as long as they did, must have really been a long term lease with cancellation clauses.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
Quote:
$200 million or not, if the building has no practical economic use, and it continues to be a drain resources in terms of maintenance and utilities, it will come down, particularly once it uses up it usefulness as a tax write off. It will probably be replaced with cheap apartments.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Bizarrely enough, that has actually happened. My childhood home was demolished to build a subdivision a year or two after moving out. My parents sold directly to the developer.

Basically what it comes down to is the fact that the mall can never work as a retail center. Numerous attempts have happened, and they all have failed spectacularly.

Maybe it can be re-purposed into office and R&D space. If we are lucky. If this was Columbus, Kasich would probably use JobsOhio to buy it and then he would try to convince companies to move into it. But there is no need for 1.5 million more square feet of office space in the area whatsoever....

Also, there is no need for college campus space (wouldn't make a bad community college either..) up that way. Cincy State just expanded to Middletown, and I don't see Miami U or UC wanting to have any more community college style campuses. So there goes that opportunity.

The only other use it could have would be institutional space, like a prison or something of that nature. Not a bad idea, but is there a need for a new prison? Also retrofitting costs will probably be high.

So that leaves demolition. And I'd rather it be demolished than deteriorate for 20+ years and be even more of an eyesore than it already is. No historic value or architectural significance there - let's get rid of it!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
What a shame. That was my favorite mall when I was little. If there was ever any doubt about it closing, this is definitely the final nail in the coffin. I just have to wonder if this is a good idea, though. Will all the people who live south of Ronald Reagan want to go to West Chester? Or will they now just go to Dick's to get most of their outdoor equipment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati