Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,237 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if (hoping) what I've read is true... are these dogs banned in Hamilton County or just the City of Cincinnati? I am looking at a few houses in Norwood and would rather not have any of these dogs around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,947 times
Yes, Banned in Cincinnati and many surrounding neighborhoods. I would check with each neighborhoods police department outside the City. The biggest problem in Hamilton County is the enforcement due to SPCA. They do not believe a pit bull can be catagorized as a vicious dog so they resist quite a bit identifying the dogs--no matter what the Cities law is, SPCA makes things crazy. There is also currently a law in the works to try to ban the pit bull breed state wide in Ohio.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Discharging a firearm within the city limits is also illegal. So you see where that gets you. My neighbor would leave his 2nd story windows open so that his two pit bulls could sit out on the porch roof. Not leashed, of course.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,947 times
Oh, that reminds me of another thing, those who had pit bulls b4 the 2003 ban have to have dogs licenced, insured, tatooed, and when walking cannot be on a leash longer than 3 feet. Personally, I think the dogs are beautiful, but they are powerful and have a mean bite. They climb fences which make them hard to confine and they usually do not like to be around other dogs. Sure they can be good pets, as can all dogs, but it is the power of those jaws that convince me they do not belong in residential areas with families and children.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM

205 posts, read 984,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Oh, that reminds me of another thing, those who had pit bulls b4 the 2003 ban have to have dogs licenced, insured, tatooed, and when walking cannot be on a leash longer than 3 feet. Personally, I think the dogs are beautiful, but they are powerful and have a mean bite. They climb fences which make them hard to confine and they usually do not like to be around other dogs. Sure they can be good pets, as can all dogs, but it is the power of those jaws that convince me they do not belong in residential areas with families and children.
I agree with you.

I've owned a couple of Pits over the years (not really by choice - it's a long story) and they were sweet but also agressive toward other dogs and, in one case, toward people.

I'd hate to outlaw the breed but they do need a really responsible owner and hopefully a residence far from other dogs or children.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 AM

245 posts, read 1,272,758 times
They can be good pets, but in this town they're almost always raised inappropriately. In Cincinnati, Pitt Bulls are "ghetto status symbols" and "ghetto security systems" (even though a Brinks monitoring fee costs less than feeding a Pitt Bull). They're not being bred by responsible and insured dog owners. And I would bet that quite a large number are bred as fighting dogs.

I only recently learned of the ban which was a surprise, because I see Pit Bulls EVERYWHERE. I frequently drive between East Walnut Hills and UC so I don't have to strain my neck to see the dogs. I also see them running loose or tied to trees on occasion.

I will agree that the bans do absolutely nothing. Nor would requiring licensing and insurance. I would bet that the typical Pitt Bull owner [in Cincinnati] doesn't even have renters and auto insurance.

I think a better venue would be to go after the landlords of Pitt Bull owners for ANY & ALL fees that the City / County rack up in dealing with the Pitt Bull problem. The cost to taxpayers for dealing with Pitt Bulls is enormous. Catching them, housing them, the back and forth court proceedings. Irresponsible Pitt Bull owners who encounter the law are often very skilled at playing a back and forth game with the court system while the city pays to retain the dog. Pitt Bulls are also the most expensive dogs to house in kennels because many shelters don't want to deal with them.

I have a friend who works for an out-of-state animal control agency so I've heard all about the problem of dealing with Pitt Bulls and the cost to the city. This same friend owns two rescued Pitt Bulls, and with me they're sweeter than Lab puppies... But with other people they're downright vicious. There's really no way to tell who will trigger their wrath either.

Is Norwood considered City of Cincinnati ??? If not, bans in Cincinnati aren't going to be valid in Norwood.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
In Cincinnati, Pitt Bulls are "ghetto status symbols" and "ghetto security systems"
Uh, I think they are "ghetto status symbols" nationwide. lol

Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 PM

267 posts, read 722,195 times
yes thier banned heard it on channel 5

Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,504 times
Angry Ignorance must really be bliss

Hi everyone, I am a middle class, white, educated, mother of two. I am also the proud owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier, otherwise known as a "pit bull". She happens to be a very loving, gentle, and playful dog and would let my girls do pretty much anything to her, including painting her toenails and riding her around our home like a horse. I am saddened and disgusted by the posts on this site, not only about the stereotypes of the breed, but also of the owners of these dogs. Any dog of any breed can be vicious if not properly trained and socialized with kids, people, and other dogs. You people might not want to move your families to a neighborhood where you may be able to find these dogs, but I would be a little more concerned with the rapists and sexual predators than the dog your neighbor may or may not own. Please educate yourselves before you judge. It is because of ignorant people who make uneducated assumptions, that we must lie about the breed of our overly friendly dog that they think is so cute and sweet until we tell them what kind she is.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,237 times
Staffies are not Pit Bull Terriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati