Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM

204 posts, read 745,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes, however many people in law enforcement mistake other dogs as "pit bulls" even though they do not have pittie or staffie in them.

Here's a link to dogs that are often mistaken as "pit bulls".

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull
What a great link!! I've owned a Rottweiler that was a big baby {or thought he was!}, so I recognized the Rott right away. I ended up picking most all of the bulldogs before the American Pitbull Terrier.

I agree that the owners are the reason most dogs are violent. My Rott wouldn't have hurt a fly, which was probably the reason he was stolen from my yard. I miss that baby.

I think most people are misinformed, or uninformed, on this subject. Thanks for the link & the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
These dogs are what they are regardless of whether an owner beats them and teaches them how to fight or dresses them up in doll clothes as a puppy. They are an inherently unstable breed and enough people are starting to realize this. It is the reason these laws now exist all over the US.

I would love to know how many of these dogs were confiscated from Hyde Park or Mairemont as opposed to Price Hill since the ban on this particular breed began. That statistic, if it exists, should easily tell you something about the human food chain and why Pit Bull owners are widely regarded as complete losers. It shouldn't surprise anyone though... people with no power or influence due to lack of education or ability to grow and produce anything substantial in society can be expected to want anything powerful they can get their hands on ...like a gun or a viscious dog. It really is sad.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,145 times
Husker, while I agree with your second paragraph, I think you should reconsider your opinions in the first paragraph.

A few posts ago, you mentioned that Staffordshire Terriers are different from Pit Bulls, which is basically incorrect as they are virtually the same breeds. Did you think Staffordshires were inherently unstable too? Honestly, in my experience, Pit Bulls are naturally more friendly towards people than a lot of other breeds (i.e. German Shepards, Chows, Presa Canarios, Cane Corsos, etc). Pit Bulls from non-ghetto environments tend to be slobbering ultra-loving dogs, even with strangers.

Again, I agree with the second part of your argument. I just think the ban (and any violence) is the direct result of the people, and not as much about the Pit Bull breed as compared to any dozens of other breeds.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 AM

267 posts, read 722,652 times
now i know why pitts became mean.. the little girls dressed them up in
doll clothes or baby clothes

Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 21,156 times
I worked in a pet store for 7 1/2 years. It really has mostly to do with how the dogs are raised. They are very strong dogs with a strong jaw pressure, but if they are raised right and socialized they can be the biggest babies of any dog breed. Most (keep in mind I'm saying most) of the horror stories of pit bulls you hear about are more than likely from ones that have been inbred, trained to fight, mistreated in some other way or all of the above. Any dog could potentially turn on a person, but there are few other breeds of dogs that are used in fights (and even fewer that are as strong as the pit bulls)..and if the owners are negligent enough to use dogs for fighting, you can bet these dogs have little training in anything other than how to be vicious being a big factor in why people see pit bulls the way they do. I've heard a lot more stories of chows being aggressive (and actually seen several signs of aggression in chows)..while chows can be great dogs I'd be more afraid of being attacked by a chow that I'd raised than a pit bull that I'm familiar with.. This is just my opinion (and I'm sure it's going to be slaughtered by some I'm just mostly hoping some people can appreciate it), but I'm basing it off of my own experience and life that is animals.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
Exclamation True Pit Bulls

Pit bulls are not as vicious as many people think they are. Too many people that have never seen a pit bull in real life hear all these horrible things that the news media tells about pit bulls and judge the breed. A lot of the “pit bull” attacks are not really pit bulls or are a cross between a pit and something else. If you go find a full blooded pit bull and raise it good, you will have a great dog. I own 3 and I have never had any troubles with any of them. People see me out walking them all the time and ask to pet them. Then, after they’ve pet them and played with them they’ll ask what breed they are. That’s when I surprise them with the answer of “they are Pit Bulls.” Most of the replies that I get back are, “I thought they were mean dogs.” The answer is no.
Let’s compare. Humans are different according to how they are raised. Those raised around violence are most likely to be violent themselves. It’s the same way with Pit Bulls. Or you can look at it as also being a form of racism. It is racist to say “All African Americans are bad,” or “All white folks are bad” just because some white guy shoots up a store or some African American robs someone. Right? Well, what’s the difference then saying all pit bulls are vicious dogs just because one that was raised to fight attacked someone. There’s not a difference other than they are dogs. It is also a fact that if a guy gets killed by a lab you are less likely to hear about it than if the guy was to be killed by a pit bull. The lab story would most likely be publicized in the local news but the pit bull story would be broadcasted all over the state that it has taken place in. (See examples in the APBT Gazette) Please take time to meet a few pit bulls before you start judging them.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 AM

459 posts, read 804,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
These dogs are what they are regardless of whether an owner beats them and teaches them how to fight or dresses them up in doll clothes as a puppy. They are an inherently unstable breed and enough people are starting to realize this. It is the reason these laws now exist all over the US.

I would love to know how many of these dogs were confiscated from Hyde Park or Mairemont as opposed to Price Hill since the ban on this particular breed began. That statistic, if it exists, should easily tell you something about the human food chain and why Pit Bull owners are widely regarded as complete losers. It shouldn't surprise anyone though... people with no power or influence due to lack of education or ability to grow and produce anything substantial in society can be expected to want anything powerful they can get their hands on ...like a gun or a viscious dog. It really is sad.

They are inherently dangerous to other dogs not towards humans. They have to be trained to be agressive towards humans. They don't make good guard dogs. Mine wags his tail and tries to lick the mailman everyday. I have to keep him inside when i'm not home because i'm afraid some loser is going to steal him because he's so friendly, anybody could just grab him and take him with them. I think bans of the pit bull breed in some cities are good. We don't need more of these innocent dogs in the wrong hands. They just end up getting euthanized in a shelter because the shelters just have way to many pit bulls.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
We should ban chiwawas. They scare me with their beady eyes.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,042 times
Default Cincinatti/Bulldogs

[url=http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cvgpbban.html]Dog Owner's Guide: Cincinnati pit bulls no longer banned[/url] is a major victory for the bully breeds in Cincy. When an American Bulldog was confiscated, the owner fought back. The result was pricey legal bills for the City and the ban overturned on bully breeds. Any person owning a bully in that City should be aware of this article and stand up for the right of your dogs, if threatened.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
That was a old article..Pit Bulls are still illegal in Cincinnati which was the OP's question. BUT if you want to debate whether the dogs should be illlegal or not, check out the pets thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati