Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You simply do not have to redo miles and miles of interstate just to route a new bridge across the river.

Just make the new bridge carry the through interstate traffic. Sign it as such. If you miss the signs you are inconvenienced trying to make an adjustment. Use the existing bridge for local traffic, ramps and all. Would be even simpler if I-71 traffic was routed across the Norwood Lateral to I-75. If the Norwood Lateral has to be widened, should be a He*l of a lot cheaper than the miles of changes they are contemplating on both sides of the river.

I don't think anyone has put their thinking caps on yet as to what the best solution is to this subject.
I have been in that area when people have missed their signs and needed to "make an adjustment".

Not a pretty sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Would be even simpler if I-71 traffic was routed across the Norwood Lateral to I-75. If the Norwood Lateral has to be widened, should be a He*l of a lot cheaper than the miles of changes they are contemplating on both sides of the river.
Well, that makes all kinds of sense, considering a chunk of the Lateral is ... a bridge. Nevermind the traffic nightmare I-75 would become.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, that makes all kinds of sense, considering a chunk of the Lateral is ... a bridge. Nevermind the traffic nightmare I-75 would become.

Why should it become a nightmare? The I-71/I-75 merge down in KY, do you consider that a nightmare? I sure don't. Put the through traffic on I-71 across the Norwood Lateral. I-75 is in the process of being widened regardless.

Last edited by kjbrill; 04-04-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Why should it become a nightmare? The I-71/I-75 merge down in KY, do you consider that a nightmare? .
That part of the highway was designed to carry traffic from both routes; I-75 north of the bridge was not. Seems pretty elementary to me.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That part of the highway was designed to carry traffic from both routes; I-75 north of the bridge was not. Seems pretty elementary to me.
So you believe the highway at the split in KY is just that much more robost than I-75 north of the river? Just rebuild the Norwood Lateral to the same standards and you have the same effect. I don't see any reason why the Norwood Lateral cannot be rebuilt to interstate standards for a He*l of a lot less money than what they are proposing for miles and miles of ramp and other development down by the river.

Oh there is a big difference. We might actually be able to put I-71 traffic across the bridge at something less than an astronomical cost.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
One thing I think that many proponents of tolls for this bridge have not understood is that the 3 billion dollars needed for this project will still need to be found up front before a shovel hits the ground. Tolls won't do a thing to raise money to build the bridge but will only be a source of revenue for other government projects or spending elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM

You sell bonds to raise the money to build the bridge. Then you use tolls to pay off the bonds. Not so complicated. Start tolling the existing bridge immediately and use that money to help pay for the initial infrastructure improvements. Sell the bonds in increments, as you don't have to sell the total upfront, only as you need to pay for things.

I personally hate the idea of tolls, but I hate the $3 billion figure even more. I can't conceive why it should cost that much other than they are trying to cure every mistake made in the initial construction of I-75 and tie it to the bridge. Give an Engineer a free hand and that is the type of result you get.

I-71 and I-75 traffic are both on the same road currently south of the river. Since I-75 is currently being expanded again north of the river, why not keep I-71 traffic on it also? I-74 traffic is dumped onto I-75 in a rather compact interchange.

Expand the Norwood Lateral. Yes there will need to be some land acquisition. But I do not see that as a major obstacle. Enlarge or replace a couple of existing interchanges, and viola you get I-71 out of downtown. That should please some urbanists. To make it stick you need to cut I-71 off somewhere. How about around the Gilbert Ave, Reading Rd exchange? Sufficient streets for local traffic. I would actually severe the connection back at the 562 interchange.

A radical idea perhaps. But I have to believe a straight-thru, no local traffic, capacity only bridge can be built for a lot less than $3 billion dollars. We already have the ability to merge I-71 traffic going south. Would it need changes, certainly, but it is already going in the same direction. The same idea applies north of town. Plenty of time to take the merge over. Oh, you misinterpreted the sign about thru traffic versus local traffic. Sorry for your loss, don't expect it to happen again.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:59 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I agree with everything you said here. In many ways, the BSB project reminds me of the Eastern corridor project as well. Some fairly minor redesign changes could go a long way. Instead, a massive project is being rammed down our throats.

This isn't very surprising to me at all. Look at the membership of the TRAC.

Pages - Meet the TRAC

I see a teamsters union treasurer, some financial VPs, the business director for an architectural firm, and several public servants whose power and influence increases as the projects get bigger. There is no citizen's advocate on that advisory council. I bet every person on that council has some sort incentive to see every major project bloat to incredibly expensive levels.
Perhaps a well penned letter to the editor of the Enquirer, Dispatch, and Daily News is in order bringing this to the attention of the public?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
You sell bonds to raise the money to build the bridge. Then you use tolls to pay off the bonds. Not so complicated. Start tolling the existing bridge immediately and use that money to help pay for the initial infrastructure improvements. Sell the bonds in increments, as you don't have to sell the total upfront, only as you need to pay for things.

I personally hate the idea of tolls, but I hate the $3 billion figure even more. I can't conceive why it should cost that much other than they are trying to cure every mistake made in the initial construction of I-75 and tie it to the bridge. Give an Engineer a free hand and that is the type of result you get.

I-71 and I-75 traffic are both on the same road currently south of the river. Since I-75 is currently being expanded again north of the river, why not keep I-71 traffic on it also? I-74 traffic is dumped onto I-75 in a rather compact interchange.

Expand the Norwood Lateral. Yes there will need to be some land acquisition. But I do not see that as a major obstacle. Enlarge or replace a couple of existing interchanges, and viola you get I-71 out of downtown. That should please some urbanists. To make it stick you need to cut I-71 off somewhere. How about around the Gilbert Ave, Reading Rd exchange? Sufficient streets for local traffic. I would actually severe the connection back at the 562 interchange.

A radical idea perhaps. But I have to believe a straight-thru, no local traffic, capacity only bridge can be built for a lot less than $3 billion dollars. We already have the ability to merge I-71 traffic going south. Would it need changes, certainly, but it is already going in the same direction. The same idea applies north of town. Plenty of time to take the merge over. Oh, you misinterpreted the sign about thru traffic versus local traffic. Sorry for your loss, don't expect it to happen again.
Bonds are still a form of loan when you stop and think about it.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I have been in that area when people have missed their signs and needed to "make an adjustment".

Not a pretty sight.
But how many times have you made the same mistake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati