Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times

Advertisements

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Any opinions?
I know it once had a great reputation. But like everything. reputations change. Anyone with a recent experience there who wants to volunteer an opinion?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Just wondering because they stopped there on one of tonight's episodes of "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on Food Network.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Just wondering because they stopped there on one of tonight's episodes of "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on Food Network.
Of course they also stopped at Blue Ash Chili in Mason. I hope we are not talking the same level of cuisine here.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Y'know, through connections of some sort they've found their way onto those kinds of TV shows and into "road food" guidebooks and so forth...but IMHO the overused term "over-rated" comes to mind. Yes, their burgers are hefty and made to order and taste good. But to me they're not "jump n' shout" awesome.

I think the appearance and atmosphere of the place are a large part of the draw. The front of the restaurant, and an adjoining yard, are cluttered with large "antique" signs and figures - including a mammy caricature that makes PC me cringe and probably contributes to there being a lily-white clientele. Then the instant you walk in you're hit with a cacophony of conversation - every table in the cramped establishment is occupied by yammering customers. (There's no bar 'cause there's no space for one.) If nothing else, Terry's is definitely the antidote to all the sterile chain franchises that have a tomb-like vibe - unless the neighborhood high school just let out - and pre-made assembly line food. And there's at least somewhat of a mix to be found among the devotees shouting to be heard across their table. You'd only know by standing on the sidewalk in front since the interior set-up isn't conducive to mingling. But Yours Truly has seen groups of bikers roaring up on a sunny afternoon and immediately blending in with the Snide Park/Mt Lookout types who seem to predominate. For a lot of the latter, consumed with comparing notes about ski or golf/tennis resorts and college football, seeing a handful of middle- or working-class people in the shadow of a mammy statue is their brush with diversity for the week. But in the interest of fairness, the same could be said about the folks who descend on Ron's Roost across town. That's another restaurant with an inexplicable cult following.

There's been at least one other discussion here which waded into the endless debate (overshadowed by the chili wars) over where the best hamburger in Cincy is to be found. The Turf Club tribe made itself known. I have two places I prefer but won't repeat them in this thread, at least this time.

As for reputation, I think Terry's remains untarnished. They've not made any changes to their signature product and continue to draw mobs. And Mrs Goyguy Sr is still known to say, "I'm in one of those moods where I'm craving a (fill in the blank) burger from Terry's" and her loving husband makes the 25-minute drive to satiate it.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM

152 posts, read 187,033 times
We love Terry's. The burger with the burgundy wine mushroom sauce topped with Swiss cheese is so freaking good. The French fries are cooked in duck fat and super delicious. Not a fan of the filet mignon chili but many people love it. So worth the trip.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Where is Terrys??

Old 02-22-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Where is Terrys??
Address: 4618 Eastern Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45226

Going East on Eastern it is before you get to Beechmont

Last edited by kjbrill; 02-22-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
No wonder I didn't recognize the name. We rarely go on that side of town. Too far, unless really spectacular

Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No wonder I didn't recognize the name. We rarely go on that side of town. Too far, unless really spectacular
I know what you mean. Same reason we have never been to Ron's Roost though by all indications it is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati