Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM

133 posts, read 205,991 times

Advertisements

Same thing as Japanese car company in Texas. Bottom line is Plano (metro Dallas) afforded Toyota the right price, resources, and space for the mega campus they're building. This will end up being a massive cost savings for the Toyota USA operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,880,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
GE couldn't possibly want to be close to the air base. Naww. Especially since the kids can visit the aviation related national park sites and get teddy bears 'n stuff. Naww. What would a jet engine company want with an air base....

As for a Japanese car company in Kentucky, 'taint ezackly home grown.
How many people till think of Wright Patt as an airforce base? I know I sure don't. At the best it is a logistics facility. But as an active airforce base, no way.

There is no way GE decided to locate in the Cincinnati area which is in one iota connected to the air force base. They think in terms far beyond that.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,766,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
How many people till think of Wright Patt as an airforce base? I know I sure don't. At the best it is a logistics facility. But as an active airforce base, no way.

There is no way GE decided to locate in the Cincinnati area which is in one iota connected to the air force base. They think in terms far beyond that.

Paragraph 1: Presumably things can still land there -- maybe not everything but at least helicopters ... and local congresspersons if they can hitch a ride.

Paragraph 2: They (GE) surely think as far a chatting with a general at a country club. And, I don't think they turned down Aviation Trail's Trailblazer award whenever that happened.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,983,341 times
A family friend is a higher-up at GE, and while they didn't have any inside info where the new GE office would be, they were pretty matter-of-fact that they'll pick the place that gives them the best deal ($). They also noted that GE is a "suburban" type of company----they certainly are here in Cinti, Atlanta, Schenacketly NY (sp), and their HQ's in Stamford, CT.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,047,299 times
^ Then, just what is there not to like about GE/Mason, huh, huh, huh?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,107,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
A family friend is a higher-up at GE, and while they didn't have any inside info where the new GE office would be, they were pretty matter-of-fact that they'll pick the place that gives them the best deal ($). They also noted that GE is a "suburban" type of company----they certainly are here in Cinti, Atlanta, Schenacketly NY (sp), and their HQ's in Stamford, CT.
My guess is Mason or West Chester/Liberty Township. It, as has been said correctly, comes down to the factors that make the best deal and value for the company in question.

That isn't always just tax breaks/credits but can include tax structure, lot, traffic improvements if needed, where employer can put employees, where employer can find new employees, quality of life, airports, central location to other operations, etc. The list is rather long and each company is different for inclusion and importance of each item.

Having the engineer and technical workforce of Wright-Patt and Cincinnati's general workforce all within a 30-40 mile radius will probably put a location off I-75 or I-71 as the first choice. Personally, I would say unless Mason can annex over to I-75, they actually may miss out because I-71 doesn't have a lot of exits or available land for a sprawling campus.

As far as Toyota, a WSJ article quoted officials saying that KY, CA and MI were out because they (Toyota officials) wanted a place that didn't already have major operations. CA probably because of location and costs (most Toyota plants are in the south with a few in the midwest). KY doesn't have the air infrastructure, i.e. no major hub). MI because they don't want to be in the shadow of the Big Three.

Even some in Toyota NA's executive ranks weren't informed until the day before the announcement, so this was kept rather quiet, even on Toyota's end. There was also a mention that a counter wasn't proposed to CA or any other corporate location because Toyota felt it would be disingenuous. Frankly, I think Toyota is right on that point. It looks bad from a corporate responsibility stand point to play and pit different places against each other to get the best deal.

In fact, when someone posted a friend was being transferred to MI, I was surprised because I was under the impression everything was going to Plano.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,107,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

As the C-5's (or whatever version of long-range medical transport they use now) roar in practice runs over my house, I can certainly say that Wright-Patt is still an active base, at least when it comes to aircraft landings and departures.

That aside, Wright-Patt is still the largest single-site employer in the state (20,000+ on base, plus thousands of contractors in the Dayton region). Most activity on the base today focuses on human performance, AF Research Labs HQ, AF Institute of Technology, Material Command HQ, NASIC, the hospital, etc. So in effect, the 88th Airborne is a small fraction (probably no more than 1,000 by my guess) of the employees on the base.

Some of the research then, includes work alongside GE. GE recently opened in partnership with University of Dayton, the GE EPISCENTER. Some alphabet soup of an acronym, but it basically does aviation research. While it is a suburban style building on a grassy lot owned by UD, at least it is in Dayton proper, which is in much need of cash.

EPISCENTER aside, the work GE does in Evendale coupled with the work with its aircraft divisions in Beavercreek, GE can draw from a regional workforce that knows or has some sort of knowledge of its businesses. And it's not just aviation. GE has a major credit and finance facility and operation on the campus of the former Gentile AFS in Kettering.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Then, just what is there not to like about GE/Mason, huh, huh, huh?
Just relaying what I heard. If I didn't live in Mason, I would be 100% in favor of them in the Banks, so I'm in a can't lose situation. I'm happy if they're in Mason or the Banks.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,850,335 times
Toyota better be careful not to **** off millions of people. That's alot of buying power if this move backfires on them. If for one will not buy Toyota. All american for me.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Another FYI, the same GE person said the company has 10 different offices in the greater Cinti area ranging from a fancy office for 10 in-house attrnys to the sprawling Aviation facility, and ALL of them are in the suburbs. Take it FWIW. I still think they go wherever they get the best financial package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati