Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,095,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Toyota better be careful not to **** off millions of people. That's alot of buying power if this move backfires on them. If for one will not buy Toyota. All american for me.
Except most car production and manufacturing is done globally now. A GM car has Thai, Spanish and American parts with final assembly in Mexico.
*Not an exact situation, but an example of global processing in manufacturing.

Meanwhile, a Volkswagen could be built with German parts but finally made in Tennessee.
*Actual example

Honda builds almost exclusively its parts for American cars in the states and pretty much every Accord on American roads is finished with assembly in Marysville, Ohio.
*Actual example

It is a rather globalized world today, for better or for worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,978,403 times
Quote:
Toyota better be careful not to **** off millions of people. That's alot of buying power if this move backfires on them. If for one will not buy Toyota. All american for me.
But on the surface they're making a lot more fans moving to Texas from California joining a mass exodus of companies and people. Great article in today's WSJ about this....off the top of my head 5 of the 10 fastest cities are in Texas, and population is projected to increase from 25 million to 40 million....with a big % of these people moving from Cali. California is dying. Californians will never buy a traditional American branded car....might as well go to the reddest of red car drivers in Texas....increase sales and decrease costs. That's how capitalism works.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,095,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Agreed, t45209--not sure that Toyota in NKY can be readily compared with Honda in Central Ohio. These two highly competitive Japanese auto-makers' corporate situations aren't the same and their employment in KY and OH differ drastically--with a larger Toyota work force in Georgetown-vs-the Honda work force in Marysville--and not including the 750 jobs being added in Georgetown to produce the Lexus ES in 2015.
Not sure of employment numbers in Georgetown, but a fact check or source would help me here. Even Wikipedia, which doesn't have numbers for TMMK.

With Honda, there are a number of additions to the 4200 in Marysville. East Liberty has a plant that employs 2500 and Anna, OH (off I-75, north of Sidney) employs hundreds at an engine plant. Then there is the Troy plant with a couple hundred workers.

Just as Toyota has major plant operations San Antonio, Tupelo and Huntsville, all of which probably influenced the Texas choice, Honda could very well move to Ohio. Torrence, CA, would probably (and currently) is doing everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

As I mentioned in another post, each company is different and has different rationals behind big corporate moves. My guess is Honda, for now, will stay in Torrence because Honda NA includes other areas outside automotive manufacturing.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Except most car production and manufacturing is done globally now. A GM car has Thai, Spanish and American parts with final assembly in Mexico.
*Not an exact situation, but an example of global processing in manufacturing.

Meanwhile, a Volkswagen could be built with German parts but finally made in Tennessee.
*Actual example

Honda builds almost exclusively its parts for American cars in the states and pretty much every Accord on American roads is finished with assembly in Marysville, Ohio.
*Actual example

It is a rather globalized world today, for better or for worse.

This is exactly how we broke the back of the UAW. The death of Ford, Chrysler, and GM spelled the end of the UAW. Victory is achieved.....it just took the Japanese's efforts....and a lot of naïve American car buyers who didn't anticipated the unintended consequences of their purchases.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,844,463 times
I work for Ford. No death here. We never even took a buyout.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,592,838 times
If you're concerned about buying American, this is the list you should follow:

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM

368 posts, read 640,012 times
Honda employs over 10,500 people in the columbus csa and another couple thousand at the Anna engine plant.Why not support a local company like Honda who builds a great product unlike Chevy which knowingly let people die because of a defect in power steering?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I work for Ford. No death here. We never even took a buyout.
Awesome. We bought a 2013 Explorer and like it a lot. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge American car fan....as I understand the economic importance of Ford and GM to my 401k....and a lot of my customers sell into the auto sector...thus my job is indirectly supported by Ford and GM (Toyota and Honda prefer to do business with Japanese auto suppliers who don't typically do business with American companies like mine). I just get a chuckle when I see Obama stickers on Hondas and Toyotas. If only those people understood the full consequences of their purchases.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM

133 posts, read 205,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Awesome. We bought a 2013 Explorer and like it a lot. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge American car fan....as I understand the economic importance of Ford and GM to my 401k....and a lot of my customers sell into the auto sector...thus my job is indirectly supported by Ford and GM (Toyota and Honda prefer to do business with Japanese auto suppliers who don't typically do business with American companies like mine). I just get a chuckle when I see Obama stickers on Hondas and Toyotas. If only those people understood the full consequences of their purchases.
The full consequences of their purchases? I don't really want to launch this argument, but all of these foreign brands bringing jobs to America is not a bad thing. Sure, from a supplier standpoint its not strictly optimal. But when you look at added jobs period, Mercedes and BMW opening up plants and tech centers in the USA because we buy so many of their cars is great.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpens View Post
The full consequences of their purchases? I don't really want to launch this argument, but all of these foreign brands bringing jobs to America is not a bad thing. Sure, from a supplier standpoint its not strictly optimal. But when you look at added jobs period, Mercedes and BMW opening up plants and tech centers in the USA because we buy so many of their cars is great.
I never said transplants were bad. I said that large HQ'd companies in the USA are far more important. Those HQ'd jobs are high paying---obviously the CEO and huge support staff are included in this....these American domiciled companies also donate a lot more money to local causes than a company HQ'd in Seoul, Tokyo or Stuttgart.

A majority of my investable assets and pension are domestic stocks which means I have a lot more money riding on the success of GM and Ford than I do BMW or Honda. As I previously said, I do more business with businesses that sell to GM or Ford. That means my job is indirectly dependent on GM and Ford.

GM and Ford also pay more than Honda and Nissan.

And by full consequences of their purchases, I was implying that left leaning people should support GM & Ford since union donations are a primary source of funds for the Democratic party. The foreign car companies have no to very little union representation in the USA. That's why I chuckle when I see an Obama sticker on a Honda. Liberals in theory should be supporting union jobs at GM and Ford-----but I don't see this.....instead their purchases of Honda and Toyota have spelled the death of the UAW and a major supporter of the Democratic Party (many say the unions are simply an extension of the Democratic Party).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati