Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 AM

250 posts, read 359,309 times

Advertisements

^I totally understood what you meant Sarah no worries, and appreciate your input! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
AS a gay man, I found most of the "city" of Cincinnati very accepting...when I dated a guy and we were in public holding hands and even kissing, I never heard any snide remarks in the city...only out at Kings Island and one of the restaraunts there in sprawlburbia.
Now, the city doesnt' have at true gayborhood unlike most cities (Columbus has Short North, Victorian Village and German Village)...Cleveland has Lakewood...or like The Castro in SF or East Hollywood in LA...
Northside is gay friendly...OTR, Mt Adams, Hyde Park, Oakley, Clifton, CUF all seem gay friendly and you'll find many LGBT couples and people spread throughout these areas.
Cincy doesn't have a huge amount of gay clubs and bars but downtown and OTR do have some nice ones such as Below Zero Lounge in OTR. Across the river in both Covington and Newport, most of the close in neighborhoods are also pretty LGBT friendly.
Cincy Pride is fairly well attended...even w/ a heavy downpour at the start last year, we have 40K attend on the banks of the river at Yeatmans Cove...P & G, one of Cincy's largest company's and one of the nations most LGBT friendly company's to work for even sponsored a fireworks show for it...Pride is 5/31 this year.
Cincinnati's best councilman, Chris Seelbach is openly gay...it's the first major Ohio city to elect an openly gay man to city council.
As with most cities, the further out you go into the cookie cutter suburbs w/ no character, the more conservative it gets and the less gay friendly people seem to get.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
Haight-Ashbury, like all too much of the rest of San Francisco, has gone from quirky/hippie/funky/cool to yuppie-infested and overpriced. In a sense much the same can be said for Over-the-Rhine, although there are plenty of major differences. OTR had declined over the decades from "jumping-off place" for new arrivals from Germany...then Appalachia...then farther down South...to a pit of rotting row houses and spiraling crime. There was a spurt of gentrification in the not too far distant past, centered around Main St. But that fell to pieces after a few high-profile homicides (in other words, of young and moneyed White people out on the town) and the "troubles" in 2001. In more recent times, though, the pieces have started to be put back together again. The neighborhood's principal green space - Washington Park - underwent expansion and a radical make-over and is now a popular place to meet. One of the city's "showplace" high schools, The School for Creative & Performing Arts, relocated to a large and impressive brand-new facility at the edge of the park. Dumptruckloads of money are being poured into building renovations, street "beautification," and so on. A new "place to be seen" seems to be opening on a monthly basis if not even more often. (Dressed-up hot dogs here, Belgian waffles there, etc etc, and creative cocktails wherever you go. ) One of the neighborhood elementary schools, Rothenberg, has been carefully and beautifully restored with its 1904 details intact. So when the yuppies and hipsters start having kids they just might not flee to suburbia. Currently OTR is still very much in a transitional phase, meaning many homeless and poor people remain for the "social services" and subsidized housing. This means crime has far from vanished. And it won't in the foreseeable future since no small number of the new arrivals like their "vices" and appreciate their convenient availability. The same holds true for "discovered" urban communities everywhere.
Northside is in a quite similar position with its vegan-welcoming restaurants and bicycle co-op mixed in with thrift shops and un-trendy dive bars. Reclaimed blocks bump right up against unreconstructed ones. There's no better place to find people with ear gauges and wild tattoos!
As of late 2011, Cincinnatians can declare, "Look how accepting we are! We put one on City Council!" Look at it this way. Aside from OTR, Northside, and the area surrounding the university you'll not once be lulled into thinking you've arrived at the Midwest's version of Hell's Kitchen (NYC), Hillcrest (San Diego), or Northampton. As is true anyplace, "artistic" types could not care less whose hand you're holding. Otherwise the moderate-conservative "just don't flaunt it" rule is safest to abide by. Greater Cincinnati by and large is a white-bread, and easygoing yet tradition-bound, place. Fly an OSU or Bengals flag, live it up at the beer festivals, and you'll never want for friends. Be a good neighbor and maintain your property and there should be no problem even in Warren County.
Cincy a high-tech center? Hmmm...never got that memo. Most of that action is in New England, Seattle, and the Silicon Valley, with Austin continuing in its ascendancy. Plus, while many snort at the notion the latest hot spot for innovation and urban pioneering is...Detroit!
The OP's questions float across the screen here every once in a while. But, as typically happens, we never find out what the person(s) asking them wind up doing.

I hereby extend a personal, direct invitation to the thread originator:
//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...l#post34668089

Old 05-05-2014, 12:37 PM

Info regarding Cincy becoming a tech hub...

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/227439#

CINCINNATI

There are more but this is generally good information.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 PM

148 posts, read 213,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Cincinnati came up on a few articles I read about cities with a booming tech industry...what are your opinions on this?
Booming isn't the word I'd use, but innovative, strategic, entrepreneurial, and quickly changing are.

I mean there's no well known job track to follow as exists in Silicon Valley. No "boom" areas I know of outside Silicon Valley.

Cincinnati does have exciting opportunities to quickly grow a career in data analytics slash social whatnot, due to its branding hub, P&G, Dunnhumby, and large companies with money who need to keep pace in their industries. It also has a bustling venture capital scene, which is unique outside the Valley and NYC. Also, NKY was making impact for awhile, but I don't hear much about them anymore.

Bottomline- probably the 3rd best place for an entrepreneurial person, behind Silicon Valley and NYC, which is saying a lot. But for a "give me a good job" person, probably just better-than-average for its size.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Booming isn't the word I'd use, but innovative, strategic, entrepreneurial, and quickly changing are.

I mean there's no well known job track to follow as exists in Silicon Valley. No "boom" areas I know of outside Silicon Valley.

Cincinnati does have exciting opportunities to quickly grow a career in data analytics slash social whatnot, due to its branding hub, P&G, Dunnhumby, and large companies with money who need to keep pace in their industries. It also has a bustling venture capital scene, which is unique outside the Valley and NYC. Also, NKY was making impact for awhile, but I don't hear much about them anymore.

Bottomline- probably the 3rd best place for an entrepreneurial person, behind Silicon Valley and NYC, which is saying a lot. But for a "give me a good job" person, probably just better-than-average for its size.
Isn't the GE jobs mostly IT jobs? Being that they are partnering with Google. That's 2k+ jobs right there.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM

148 posts, read 213,488 times
Good point, did not know that. And yes I didn't quantify the Goog presence here nor the Amazon for that matter. Others chime in by all means.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Isn't the GE jobs mostly IT jobs? Being that they are partnering with Google. That's 2k+ jobs right there.
The GE jobs will be all kinds of back office functions...so I assume IT will be a large chunk along w/ Sales, Purchasing, Logistics, Accounting Functions...across many of their lines.

For instance, GE is a client of mine where I work in Logistics...I have contracts w/ GE Powerconversion for moving induction motors imported from Brazil, GE Appliances and Lights moving from plant to warehouse finished appliances...and GE Flex which builds Natural Gas powered turbines...each division I have seperate fuel surcharges, seperate rates, different rules to follow and targets to meet for on time delivery and what not...these new back office centers could work with us to create unifor rates for linehaul, fsc, and rules.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Good to see how many gay people participate in this forum. Am I gay friendly? NO, probably as unfriendly as you can get. WHY, because your alternate lifestyle just does not add up to me. Condemn me if you want, but if we start condemning I feel I will have numbers on my side.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
but if we start condemning I feel I will have numbers on my side.
LMAO!!!

So what you are saying is there is less tolerance for gays than homophobes?

I have a feeling you will find out differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati