Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Darn it, you're making me want to ride one, sounds like fun.

Darn it again, now I'll need to check diff. btw. scooter & moped. I just used term scooter generically. Whatever they are, some of them do look almost as big as a dirt bike.
Vespa for one makes a wide range of models. The small ones look like you would have to get off and push them. The largest look like they could pack some real power. But the Vespa has the same basic design appearance from the smallest to the largest. All of the smaller ones have a step-through flat floor. This is what distinguishes a scooter to me.

The original Mopeds looked like either heavy duty bicycles or ultra-light duty motorcycles. Also recognize the name was a cross of motor and pedal. They were so underpowered at times you had to pedal to keep up momentum. I don't know if there are any manufactured today which still have functional pedals.

The original Cushmans go back over 7 decades (1936). The Mopeds go back about 5 decades (mid-50s) and started in Europe.

Last edited by kjbrill; 07-11-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:37 PM

245 posts, read 333,249 times
Weren't Cushman Scooters sold at Sears?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
Weren't Cushman Scooters sold at Sears?
Yes, Sears had some especially branded for them under their Allstate brand. It was the larger size with the aerodynamic bullet shaped body.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 AM

268 posts, read 371,694 times
I'll do some further research later, but Honda sells quite a few scooters and I see them frequently around town and the suburbs.

If I were buying one today, though, I'd want one of the Vespas, or a similar maker. Nobody does retro chic like the Euros (that's why I drive a Fiat!).

Ciao!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
I'll do some further research later, but Honda sells quite a few scooters and I see them frequently around town and the suburbs.

If I were buying one today, though, I'd want one of the Vespas, or a similar maker. Nobody does retro chic like the Euros (that's why I drive a Fiat!).

Ciao!
Honda is best known for motorcycles, in fact in Japan they are still considered a motorcycle manufacturer, not a car manufacturer. It does make sense they would make scooters also as there must be a big demand for them in the Japanese domestic market.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
the fundamental problem is our infrastructure is extremely one-dimensional. especially once you get outside the city. two lanes with a small shoulder is good for absolutely nothing but cars. it is downright scary to even go for a jog on some of the busier township roads.

why not add 30% of paving and an extra multi-use lane to every road built from now until we stop building roads?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the fundamental problem is our infrastructure is extremely one-dimensional. especially once you get outside the city. two lanes with a small shoulder is good for absolutely nothing but cars. it is downright scary to even go for a jog on some of the busier township roads.

why not add 30% of paving and an extra multi-use lane to every road built from now until we stop building roads?
And what do you envison that multi-use to be? Walkers, skaters, joggers, bicycles, that is about it. No powered vehicles of any kind, too unsafe with the other traffic. Even trying to permit small scooters up to a certain engine size is a dangerous proposition. Also, laying pavement at the same time as a roadbed is a waste of money. It is impractical to not lay the roadbed all the same but the bike, etc lane does not need the same level of construction.

I feel a much more practical approach is a completely separate bike path free of any vehicular traffic even close. All it needs is a little grading, throw some gravel down as a base, and a layer of asphalt on top. It will last for years just like that since unlike a road there is no weight to break it down.

None of the arterial roads in Mason were built with any sidewalks. Mason has built a series of separate bike paths along all of the arterial roads. This is now functioning as an integrated system, tying all of the parks, the Community Center, the schools, and the commercial district together. You can bike or jog to just about anywhere in town.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And what do you envison that multi-use to be? Walkers, skaters, joggers, bicycles, that is about it. No powered vehicles of any kind, too unsafe with the other traffic. Even trying to permit small scooters up to a certain engine size is a dangerous proposition. Also, laying pavement at the same time as a roadbed is a waste of money. It is impractical to not lay the roadbed all the same but the bike, etc lane does not need the same level of construction.

I feel a much more practical approach is a completely separate bike path free of any vehicular traffic even close. All it needs is a little grading, throw some gravel down as a base, and a layer of asphalt on top. It will last for years just like that since unlike a road there is no weight to break it down.

None of the arterial roads in Mason were built with any sidewalks. Mason has built a series of separate bike paths along all of the arterial roads. This is now functioning as an integrated system, tying all of the parks, the Community Center, the schools, and the commercial district together. You can bike or jog to just about anywhere in town.
Good points. However we get there, the fact is that right now there are no safe practical ways to access most places unless you have a car.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 AM

268 posts, read 371,694 times
^^^ I'll quote what someone shouted at me while I was legally crossing Dalton Ave at a crosswalk and they were turning left:

"ROADS IS FOR CARS, A**HOLE!"

That mentality is at least partly responsible for the absence of byways for alternate modes of transportation.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
^^^ I'll quote what someone shouted at me while I was legally crossing Dalton Ave at a crosswalk and they were turning left:

"ROADS IS FOR CARS, A**HOLE!"

That mentality is at least partly responsible for the absence of byways for alternate modes of transportation.
That is partially correct. I agree the car drivers believe the roads belong to them, as well they should. Look at the crossings. The signals say Walk, not Ride. The Walk signals near me are a big joke, it is impossible to cross the 4-lane road in the time they are illuminated. I see kids all the times running across the intersections pushing their bikes. Yes that is dangerous and should be corrected. A separate Walk light button should be enough to do it. But I never see much of an effect, particularly on the duration of the light. If our technology cannot solve this minor problem, how do we expect it to solve bigger problems?

And when the subject of this thread, scooters, is thrown in the problem escalates.

The state of Ohio requires a scooter to be licensed as a street worthy vehicle, same as a motorcycle. So it says a scooter is no different than a car. Observe all of the traffic laws and observe the same behavior on the streets as a car. That's enough to make me not want to own a scooter. Maybe a large Harley Davidson or a Honda which I may make a sizable dent in a car if we square off. But a little ole scooter, no way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati