Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 AM

150 posts, read 171,902 times

Advertisements

My house has a radon gas extraction system, the only one in the neighborhood. It is noisy and possibly superfluous. How do I determine: (1) is it needed or was it promoted to a previous owner? (2) how do I sound proof the externally mounted motor? (3) if needed must it run fulltime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
If your house was built after 1990 and is sealed up like a Tupperware container, and you don't use your basement for anything, you might, just might have enough radon to deal with. Turn off everything for a week, get a radon test kit and see what is there. My money is on total BS from some creepoid that ripped off the previous owner with tales of poison gas in the basement.

$11.99 at Amazon:

First Alert RD1 Radon Gas Test Kit - - Amazon.com

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-22-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Get a radon test kit.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,929 times
Radon is ubiquitous up here in Central Ohio. Nearly every house that has been sold in the last decade requires a radon mitigation system. Our lender required we have one for underwriting/resale when buying our current house. It may not be an issue in SW Ohio, but either way it should not be noisy. We don't hear a peep out of ours and the barometer-type vacuum meter says it is working.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Radon is ubiquitous up here in Central Ohio. Nearly every house that has been sold in the last decade requires a radon mitigation system. Our lender required we have one for underwriting/resale when buying our current house. It may not be an issue in SW Ohio, but either way it should not be noisy. We don't hear a peep out of ours and the barometer-type vacuum meter says it is working.
Thank you. I have ordered a test kit and will look at the results. Meanwhile, I'll talk to the house warranty people (First American) about the noisy blower.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
Thank you. I have ordered a test kit and will look at the results. Meanwhile, I'll talk to the house warranty people (First American) about the noisy blower.
In high enough concentrations radon can be a health hazard. Since the gas emision is a continuous process, so is the extraction system. The extraction system should be virtually silent. If yours is not complain to somebody up to the point of getting it replaced. Check to see if the extraction system was installed as part of the requirements for the house sale. If it was, I would anticipate either a bare-bones cheap-ass unit or a defective one. Either way you deserve better.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks again to all. I called the manufacturer who was informative, then called the original installer (who was away on vacation!!!) who described the setup. So being brave and foolish I disassembled the outdoor fan box and found that a loose capacitor/transformer/whatever pack had come loose. It is now tightened and reassembled ....and I can't hear the fan.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:29 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
Thanks again to all. I called the manufacturer who was informative, then called the original installer (who was away on vacation!!!) who described the setup. So being brave and foolish I disassembled the outdoor fan box and found that a loose capacitor/transformer/whatever pack had come loose. It is now tightened and reassembled ....and I can't hear the fan.
Sometimes, after a little investigation, you can perform an effective repair. Sounds like this is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati