Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be in Cincinnati Halloween weekend. I already reserved a hotel room in Blue Ash and needed a few pointers. I'm a huge Bengals fan, so I'll be at the game against the Jags at PBS. I have only been in Cincinnati one time, back in 2007. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. My girlfriend and I were thinking about going to the Dent Schoolhouse on Halloween. It looks like a really cool haunted house. We also have Skyline Chili and Greaters on our list of things to do. I'm assuming there are some great pubs down by the riverfront. I really want to try some of the local beers. Are there any areas in the city I should be sure to avoid for crime reasons? I'll be taking a 14 hour trip and will be in the car the entire time driving around sightseeing, so any input on that would be greatly appreciated. I hear mixed things about going out after dark. I know any city can be dangerous at night. Any ideas of other things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
To experience Cincinnati beer I would take in such as Lindquist Brewery and Christian Moerlein Brewery in OTR. They are close to each other. I would not be concerned in that area after dark due to the amount of foot traffic. Many people making the rounds of the breweries. If you Google OTR breweries you will find others to add to your list.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
To experience Cincinnati beer I would take in such as Lindquist Brewery and Christian Moerlein Brewery in OTR. They are close to each other. I would not be concerned in that area after dark due to the amount of foot traffic. Many people making the rounds of the breweries. If you Google OTR breweries you will find others to add to your list.
Sounds good. What do you think about Rhinegeist?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDave18 View Post
They are doing well but not my style, more of a west coast beer. I prefer what Moerlein puts out. But everyone to their own.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:34 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Before or after the Game, definitaly hit the bars/restaraunts in The Banks (between PBS and GABP)...The Moerlein Lagerhouse and The Yardhouse are my 2 favorites...you can get any Cincy brewed beers pretty much between those places (Yardhouse has about 200 beers on tap).

Dent Schoolhouse is great if you like Haunted houses...easily the best in the Tri State area, but it will probaby have long lines so be prepared.

If you go out in OTR at night, as long as you stay below Liberty you'll be fine...many fine bars and restaraunts are on Vine Street and Main Street. Another area w/ great bars, including some of the best views in the area are up on Mt Adams...Mt Adams Pavilion is a great one as is Longworths.

If you are staying in Blue Ash, you should go to Montgomery Inn for Ribs and Saratoga Chips one night for dinner...it'll be in Montgomery, which is fairly close to Blue Ash.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
Dinner: The Eagle or Bakersfield in OTR for dinner---but get there early or prepare to hit the bar for a 45 minute wait---additionally, they will text you when your table is ready so you can spend those 45 minutes in a nearby bar. I recommend Lackman Bar which is less than a block from both of the aforementioned bars.

Absolutely 100% go to Rhinegeist...the beer is great and the the building oozes history-----then go to the nearby Morlein Taproom (not to be confused with the Morlein Lager House in the Banks)....for additional historical coolness and good beer.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
You can also pay a visit to the "tasting rooms" at these two suburban brewers:
MadTree Brewing
River City Brewing Co.

Mad Tree is also close by a personal favorite for a tasty burger with waffle-cut fries in a neighborhood-y, non-trendy atmosphere: The Gas Light, at Ridge & Montgomery.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
You can also pay a visit to the "tasting rooms" at these two suburban brewers:
MadTree Brewing
River City Brewing Co.

Mad Tree is also close by a personal favorite for a tasty burger with waffle-cut fries in a neighborhood-y, non-trendy atmosphere: The Gas Light, at Ridge & Montgomery.
Your recommendations are A-OK.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDave18 View Post
Rhinegeist is a must for any Cincy visitor who loves beer. And Mad Tree, which is between Blue Ash and downtown, is another good one.

Hofbrauhaus in Newport might also be cool for you if you like German beer. There aren't many locations of this Munich original in the U.S.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Rhinegeist is a must for any Cincy visitor who loves beer. And Mad Tree, which is between Blue Ash and downtown, is another good one.

Hofbrauhaus in Newport might also be cool for you if you like German beer. There aren't many locations of this Munich original in the U.S.
Very true on the Hofbrauhaus...and it's weird that both Cleveland and Cincy have one (Cleveland's opens on Thurs).

Will the Taft Alehouse be open by then in OTR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati