Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
No one like an anonymous letter. Its a chicken**** thing to do. Call the police non emergency number they will handle it.
Well, I tried the route you suggested with the guy that broke into my cellar and had the natural gas meter installed and got nowhere.

I don't see it as being chicken poop but giving the jerk an opportunity to fix things without having to resort to taking more drastic measures. But if the guy reacts the way I outlined to an anonymous letter about an issue he clearly must know is a problem to everyone in the neighborhood then yes, getting Animal Control will be the only way to handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Wilson is right, there's an overwhelming chance the reaction to any anonymous letter is going to be anger. Seriously, you can't just go ring the people's doorbell (assuming you can get past the dog), introduce yourself, and courteously explain the dog is causing a problem? Then if that gets no results, I personally would get more aggressiveon my own with something like pepper spray or a hard whack with a baseball bat. I don't favor mistreating any animal, but you may need to take training the mutt into your own hands, so it will turn tail and run when it sees you.

I'd be surprised if calling any city department if in the City of Cincinnati gets any results on this. They're woefully understaffed and have bigger fish to fry. If it's a town with an actual functioning government, then yeah, maybe.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Call SPCA and they will go out and check out why the dog is getting out.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wilson is right, there's an overwhelming chance the reaction to any anonymous letter is going to be anger. Seriously, you can't just go ring the people's doorbell (assuming you can get past the dog), introduce yourself, and courteously explain the dog is causing a problem? Then if that gets no results, I personally would get more aggressiveon my own with something like pepper spray or a hard whack with a baseball bat. I don't favor mistreating any animal, but you may need to take training the mutt into your own hands, so it will turn tail and run when it sees you.

I'd be surprised if calling any city department if in the City of Cincinnati gets any results on this. They're woefully understaffed and have bigger fish to fry. If it's a town with an actual functioning government, then yeah, maybe.
That's my point. Sending a letter to the offending party and simply saying that you live in the area and there is a problem is non confrontational. Mail it. Don't hand deliver it.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:00 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Cincinnati is s complaint driven city. Complaints get results. They don't do much else right, but they respond to complaints.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM

42 posts, read 104,434 times
You should talk to the neighbor first, thats actually the most polite thing to do IMO. If that doesnt resolve it then you need to call the shelter and have him/her picked up. Ifs not fair to the dog, you, your dog or your neighbors. Further, if the dog is wanted a quick fine will change the undesired behavior pretty quick..

Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 PM

258 posts, read 299,786 times
I generally think dealing with neighbors face- to- face is the best way to handle issues. However, I NEVER see these people. No car in the driveway or garage. A lack of patio furniture, wreath, or anything denoting that the house wasn't vacant entirely. These neighbors have already shown their lack of respect or concern for everyone else on the street by not being responsible pet owners. I have my doubts as to how effective a talk would be, assuming I was even able to reach them at home. I sent the note via mail. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before I try to walk down there again so they can either try or not try to contain their dog. If I see the pooch out again after that, I'm calling SPCA/Animal control. Thanks everyone for your input-- it's good to get everyone's opinions.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
I generally think dealing with neighbors face- to- face is the best way to handle issues. However, I NEVER see these people. No car in the driveway or garage. A lack of patio furniture, wreath, or anything denoting that the house wasn't vacant entirely. These neighbors have already shown their lack of respect or concern for everyone else on the street by not being responsible pet owners. I have my doubts as to how effective a talk would be, assuming I was even able to reach them at home. I sent the note via mail. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before I try to walk down there again so they can either try or not try to contain their dog. If I see the pooch out again after that, I'm calling SPCA/Animal control. Thanks everyone for your input-- it's good to get everyone's opinions.
This is the appropriate way to handle the matter. If you were dealing with someone you have known for a while then yes, an anonymous letter would be the wrong way to handle the problem. But since you don't even know these people it is best to be cautious first and see if they will get the hint from the anonymous letter that they need to make some changes with the dog during its leisure time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: