Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 PM

73 posts, read 89,873 times

Advertisements

Metro wise, Tucson is not even close to Greater Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^At least there should be no grass to cut and little pollen problems like the Midwest. I hear that dust problem in Arizona in general. I'm not sure how it effect allergies.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:35 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Junyces. Is there any way you can actually visit both Tucson and Cincinnati for a couple of days each before making your decision? If possible, that would probably be the best way to decide which area is best for you. And specifically look at suburbs and neighborhoods that interest you. You want to avoid parochial places if possible since areas like that cast a wary eye upon outsiders.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:01 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
Tucson and Cincinnati are completely different. I suggest you travel to see the differences before you decide upon a job opportunity.

Cincinnati is a small, midwestern, river city. Mostly black and white, not many immigrants or much mingling to create "diversity." There is the suburb of Mason with higher numbers of asian immigrants that you would feel comfortable in, where the schools are decent. I also imagine that you would feel fine in the city proper and navigating the Cincinnati Public School system- which is complicated but do-able. Despite the lack of co-mingling between races I don't think people are particularly racist and you would be and feel welcome if you stick to Hamilton county.

Tucson is twice as large, is home to a large state university and is in a desert climate. A city with a large university usually has a vitality (and possibly diversity) that a regular city may not. Tucson being in the southwest will also integrate Mexican and Native American cultural influences and you will see and hear lots of Spanish being spoken. It looks to be about 50% hispanic american while Cincinnati is 50% african american.
This is a poor representation of Cincinnati as it relates to Tucson.

First, the Cincinnati metro area is more than double the size of Tucson. In most every way, Cincinnati is significantly larger. While Tucson proper may have higher population, the Tucson metro isn't even at 1 million, while Cincinnati is more than 2.1 million.

Both cities are home to large state universities. The University of Cincinnati is slightly bigger and attracts a healthy number of foreign students. Unlike Tucson, Cincinnati is home to several other large universities, including Xavier, Northern Kentucky and a handful of smaller colleges.

And while Cincinnati is situated on the river, it it's far more than a river city. Greater Cincinnati encompasses three states and is home to nine Fortune 500 companies, major colleges and universities, highly renown performing arts organizations, major museums, professional sports including one of the top 10 pro tennis tournaments in the world, a strong restaurant scene, one of the nation's top zoos, and is home to some of the most striking architecture in the U.S.

Cincinnati is also within a one-day drive and 90-minute flight of the vast majority of the U.S. population, including New York City, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Toronto, Canada.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:46 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
I am not going to argue over MSAs, the city of Tucson proper is double in population the city of Cincinnati proper (however I assume Cincinnati has a similar density since it is 1/3 the area). Yes, you are right about the University, I was thinking that it was Arizona State. The OP cannot make the best choice for his family without visiting.
You're not going to talk about MSAs but you recommend Mason, which as a suburb of Cincinnati is clearly part of the MSA that you're not including when you talk population.

OK then

Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 AM

54 posts, read 73,836 times
Hello, can someone share what areas might have good school disticts for grades 5 and 8?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyces View Post
Hello, can someone share what areas might have good school disticts for grades 5 and 8?
I'd suggest looking into moving into either the Wyoming or Madeira school district. Indian Hill has great schools too, but it's costly to live there and the schools are particularly clique-ish at that age range.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Lakota overall for what you're looking for. Otherwise, probably Mason or Wyoming as suggested above, but finding a rental there that would be suitable for you family in your price range might be tough.

I wouldn't go Maderia/Indian Hill because 1) You won't find a rental there in your range, and 2) They are not close to Forest Park.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Lakota overall for what you're looking for. Otherwise, probably Mason or Wyoming as suggested above, but finding a rental there that would be suitable for you family in your price range might be tough.

I wouldn't go Maderia/Indian Hill because 1) You won't find a rental there in your range, and 2) They are not close to Forest Park.

Good luck!
Sorry, I forgot that we also needed to be convenient to Forest Park. Madeira's about as far away as Mason, actually, but Wyoming seems to me to be the best fit. Lakota's still facing fallout from multiple failed levys during the recession, they had eight years without passing one and had to cut several programs, while other districts have passed them in quality. They finally passed one last year, but that district is not what it was 10 years ago and might take some time to rebuild.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM

54 posts, read 73,836 times
Many thanks foreveryone's comments and suggestions. We are prapared tospend a little more to be in a good neighborhood near these schools.

We would like to be near entertainment, theaters, dining, activities for kids, biking areas, parks.

Other activites such as fishing, hunting, sailing if river is big enough.

Any good camping areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati