Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,718 times

Advertisements

I booked a trip to Cincinnati on mega bus that was supposed to depart from the University of Cincinnati but was changed to leave from a Parking lot at 691 Gest St. Does anyone know if this is a safe area? I looked it up on street view and it seems like it is in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by ryman3500; 10-15-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:27 PM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
What time of day is your pick-up? During business hours that area is pretty safe and busy, at night it gets a bit sketchy around the fast food joints and the Marathon Station.

While now it's fine, I'm curious if it will get worse crime-wise with the Drop-Inn Center moving near there soon, and it's also odd to me that Megabus seems to be following the Center around.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
The new drop location is much worse compared with the last location. I don't understand why they are doing that. It is in a commercial area. Not unsafe, just vacant after 5pm. Depending on arrival time, you should be able to catch a bus over to vine street and then up to campus. Google maps has the bus routes. Make sure to tell the driver that you need a transfer before paying your fare.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 PM

307 posts, read 544,215 times
Keep in mind the business model of megabus is to not have to pay for a pickup location. Not a great location, not horrible, just odd and inconvent but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 PM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
The UC stop isn't affected.

Indianapolis-Chicago trips will still pick up at UC and the new Gest St stop.
Columbus-Cleveland-Buffalo trips will only be at the new Gest St stop.
Lexington-Knoxville-Chattanooga-Atlanta trips will only be at the new Gest St stop.

The new stop isn't unsafe at all...it's just in the middle of nowhere and not easy to get to.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
The new drop location is much worse compared with the last location. I don't understand why they are doing that. It is in a commercial area. Not unsafe, just vacant after 5pm. Depending on arrival time, you should be able to catch a bus over to vine street and then up to campus. Google maps has the bus routes. Make sure to tell the driver that you need a transfer before paying your fare.

Megabus does not want to pay for a stop and they are completely oblivious to the business surrounding their bus stops. They used to pick up at 4th and Race downtown in front of a high-end steakhouse. What business wants 70 bus rides with bags parked out front of their business.

Personally, I am no fan of the US location either.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
Keep in mind the business model of megabus is to not have to pay for a pickup location. Not a great location, not horrible, just odd and inconvent but you get what you pay for.
I share the same thoughts. Megabus can offer $25 fares to Chicago because they keep costs down. If they would pick-up somewhere more expensive, guess what, no more $25 fares.

They will continue to pick-up in these inconvenient spots so long as their customers support it. Should enough customers vote with their feet and find another alternative transportation because they don't like where Megabus picks them up, they will change. Until then, they have no reason to change.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,051 times
is the parking lot where the pickup is free to park? is it even a public parking area?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:15 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I remember riding megabus years ago in the UK, and the buses used a station in London, but not in some of the other cities. So in some cases they will use a station. I don't think Cincinnati has a bus station available to different companies like some cities do.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 AM

307 posts, read 544,215 times
From what's been reported they were offered to use the riverfront transit center bur declined due to the fee. No idea how much it was but there is an option out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati