Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times

Advertisements

I suppose we breathed a sigh of relief when the so called 2 Gun gang members were arrested last week. Premature. The victimization of UC students continues unabated. They have become the ATM of choice for the thug element in Cincinnati.

Of course, Santa Ono should resign, but is this problem limited to UC or should the CPD Chief Blackwell be held accountable too.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/fourthyear-...bbery/29156662
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
The only practicle thing I can think of is for UC to buy all the houses surrounding campus where these kinds of people live. Same principle what the fine folks in OTR are doing. Push them out. Make them somebody else's problem. Children's Hospital has done a good job of this....Burnett used to be a war zone.....not as much after Children's pushed these folks out. Hospital employees were getting shot walking back to their cars, parents were scared to drive there at night....something had to be done or the hospital's reputation could be irreparably harmed. They used their considerable resources to move these people out. UC has to use their endowment in a similar way....it can't cost more than $50 million to buy 600 of these cruddy houses---and plow them down. This is pocket change to an institution with a $1 billion endowment (27th largest in the U.S.).

If UC doesn't get control of the situation, it will make it increasingly more difficult to recruit new students. I personally, would be hesitant to send one of my children to an urban school like UC or OSU.

Last edited by flashes1; 10-16-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 AM

465 posts, read 659,360 times
Why should Ono resign over an off campus robbery? Did he put the thugs up to it? Should he also resign if a student in Price Hill gets mugged? That demand for resignation makes zero logical sense, yet you're talking like it's the most natural conclusion for this. The state and taxpayers would have to give UC a lot more money to extend the campus security umbrella and make it more effective. Are you up for raising taxes for that? Otherwise, this is almost entirely a city police matter on Crawley and Blackwell.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
The only practicle thing I can think of is for UC to buy all the houses surrounding campus where these kinds of people live. Same principle what the fine folks in OTR are doing. Push them out. Make them somebody else's problem. Children's Hospital has done a good job of this....Burnett used to be a war zone.....not as much after Children's pushed these folks out.

If UC doesn't get control of the situation, it will make it increasingly more difficult to recruit new students. I personally, would be hesitant to send one of my children to an urban school like UC or OSU.
The thugs don't actually live near campus for the most part. They come in from other neighborhoods like prospectors to a gold find. I think there was something like five different neighborhoods in the so-called Two Guns gang. This problem doesn't get solved without a serious effort to crack down on crime city wide.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
The thugs don't actually live near campus for the most part. They come in from other neighborhoods like prospectors to a gold find. I think there was something like five different neighborhoods in the so-called Two Guns gang. This problem doesn't get solved without a serious effort to crack down on crime city wide.
If I'm UC, I find out exactly where the perpetrators live. You mention five different neighborhoods. How many houses does this comprise, how much would it cost to buy them? I suspect UC could afford this investment. They simply can not afford this kind of negative publicity. This kind of news scares applicants....I'm sure every South Korean website and newspaper is running with it....these people pay out-of-state tuition with cash----something UC can not jeopardize.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
You want to hold the police chief accountable for people being robbed in Cinci? What planet are you from? And what does Ono have to do with an off campus robbery? Or do you think that every student should have a 24/7 security detail assigned to them at university expense?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
If I'm UC, I find out exactly where the perpetrators live. You mention five different neighborhoods. How many houses does this comprise, how much would it cost to buy them? I suspect UC could afford this investment. They simply can not afford this kind of negative publicity. This kind of news scares applicants....I'm sure every South Korean website and newspaper is running with it....these people pay out-of-state tuition with cash----something UC can not jeopardize.
UC could buy every house in Cincinnati and it would not prevent students from being robbed.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
OTR's redevelopment has cost several hundred million so far and has only been made because private enterprise sees profit there and the money spent as an investment rather than a sinkhole. That's not going to be the case any time soon with Avondale, Evanston, North and South Fairmount, etc... They're money losing propositions right now. Even if UC had the funds (it doesn't, remember they're still paying the debt for all the new buildings put in by previous presidents) it would be a reckless use of them and that would be a case where Ono should resign.

I still think this is mostly a city police issue and Cranley and Blackwell had a bit of a "Mission Accomplished" moment when they had the big announcement of the Two Guns arrest. Just because they caught the dumb crooks, didn't mean the smart ones weren't still out there.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Cincinnati PD needs to keep police stationed every few blocks around campus 24/7...raise the taxes to hire additional officers..go into the hoods where these thug gangsters hang out and arrest them all too.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
UC has recruited out of area students agressively with no place to house them. And, they have utterly failed to communicate the risks of the urban (should I say ghetto) environment for their off campus housing.

This problem is not a couple of isolated incidents. It is a pattern.

And, yes, it is completely Santa Ono's responsibility to provide a secure walking commute around the UC Campus. This he has failed to do. Any other conclusion is moronic.

What is UC's off campus student housing policy?

"Come to Cincinnati and get beat and robbed? Its your problem."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati