Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a new CD player. Considering a Yamaha, Marantz or maybe NAD unit.

Do any stores in the Cincinnati area sell these brands? I could probably go to Best Buy to get one but I'd like to support a local retailer if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
The Internet drove all honest local retailers out of business. Best Buy is no better than Amazon. And, all consumer electronics are now disposable, not serviceable. So, give up the cause and shop online.

PS: All CD players are made by two companies regardless of brand.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:01 PM

31 posts, read 70,519 times
Well lets see, there's Hemstats, Audio Warehouse, Sight & Sound, Swallens, Stereo Lab, Steinbergs & Carlin Audio. Oh wait, never mind

Maybe Alamo in Montgomery?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
There's also Audible Elegance in Montgomery.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The Internet drove all honest local retailers out of business. Best Buy is no better than Amazon. And, all consumer electronics are now disposable, not serviceable. So, give up the cause and shop online.

PS: All CD players are made by two companies regardless of brand.
Which two companies manufacture all of the CD players these days?

Found a place called Hanson's in the Dayton area. High end gear. Do they have a good reputation?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Thanks. Will check out there presence online to start.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbe View Post
Well lets see, there's Hemstats, Audio Warehouse, Sight & Sound, Swallens, Stereo Lab, Steinbergs & Carlin Audio. Oh wait, never mind

Maybe Alamo in Montgomery?
Alamo has a Yamaha CD player. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Found their site. They carry Marantz products. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Which two companies manufacture all of the CD players these days?

Found a place called Hanson's in the Dayton area. High end gear. Do they have a good reputation?

I couldn't find a good citation for my statement that there were only two manufacturers for the CD players. I meant the innards and I'm sure it is likely. But, I call BS on myself! Haha!

But, I would caution you against big spending on an obsolete technology. It is the 8 track of the era. No advantage over flash memory and very many disadvantages including damage to the Cd, size limitations. Is the CD dead? Not yet, but expect it shortly.

The Marantz will be the best choice if you have to have one.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I couldn't find a good citation for my statement that there were only two manufacturers for the CD players. I meant the innards and I'm sure it is likely. But, I call BS on myself! Haha!

But, I would caution you against big spending on an obsolete technology. It is the 8 track of the era. No advantage over flash memory and very many disadvantages including damage to the Cd, size limitations. Is the CD dead? Not yet, but expect it shortly.

The Marantz will be the best choice if you have to have one.
Vinyl is making a comeback. Believe it or not. I still have 300 albums and need another turntable. Plenty of newer mid grade to high end models are coming out again.

CD's are still a long way from becoming obsolete. I have too many CD's to simply phase them out at this time. Perhaps if the time comes and I can record 2,500 CD's to a flash drive I will consider moving on.

I can check on some audio message boards to see if there is any means of validating your belief that only a couple of companies manufacture parts for CD players now. Might be true since it seems as though everyone and his brother outsources a part of their products or services these days.

Overall most of the reviews I am seeing about the Marantz models is good. Seeing a lot of good reviews for the brand new Yamaha line as well as NAD. Quite a change from years past when both companies had issues either with the audio quality or build quality of their components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: