Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in Westwood on Powell St. Is it a safe area? There is an empty apt. bldg. across the street, looks a little run down. Am I being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
You're not being paranoid. I would be a bit wary about any long term vacant property on my street. It's never a good thing and if it's not well maintained it can quickly turn into a nuisance.
Have you talked to the neighbors, run a crime spot report, checked out who owns the apartment building?
I had friends who lived on Powell 15 years ago. While it was a gorgeous house, the surrounding area was not as safe as they would have liked.

Last edited by mimi in cinci; 12-05-2014 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller12 View Post
We are looking at a house in Westwood on Powell St. Is it a safe area? There is an empty apt. bldg. across the street, looks a little run down. Am I being paranoid?
If it is 2747, it looks to die for in the online photos. But you don't get a house like that for a price like that unless something is seriously wrong. The overall area is a bad neighborhood. Even if you decide to overlook that issue, I'd make sure to do a thorough inspection of the house itself.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,780 times
It might be a good idea to do some more research.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
As of today the house (an eye-catcher, indeed) is "under contract" - maybe to the OP?!
Interestingly, the listing I read mentioned that it's "agent owned." One has to wonder whether someone with a realtor's inside knowledge is getting while the getting's good.
There are several areas in Cincinnati, just like that section of Westwood, which can euphemistically be called "marginal." Homes and even entire blocks are gorgeous and inviting. But the nearest commercial districts are a shambles and the crime rate is not good. We'd have to hear again from the OP in terms of how intrepid they are. But since two weeks have passed I think this person was the "one and done" type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: