Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:59 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times

Advertisements

Georgetown Ohio ... I know its in Brown Co. but hay you want a small farm...We camp nearby in Sardinia and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 PM

9 posts, read 7,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
Good luck in your search, but with your criteria, I'm afraid it will be an exercise in futility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Georgetown Ohio ... I know its in Brown Co. but hay you want a small farm...We camp nearby in Sardinia and love it.
I'de love to look out that way, but I need around 30 minutes to Hamilton Ohio and Georgetown is about 1 hour 20 minutes.

It's funny because Georgetown appears to look very similar to where I grew up.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I told you where to look. Indiana 252. Just because you can't find an MLS listing out there, doesn't mean you won't be able to get a few acres and maybe a house along with it. The land is worth about $10-15k per acre out there and they are real farms along 252. So don't expect anyone to sell you their whole farm.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
OP sorry I missed your travel requirements first time around.

Anyways you've received a lot of good advice here so far. Have to ask if your travel requirements are flexible. It will be virtually impossible to meet both criteria of 25 minutes to Hamilton and 45 minutes to downtown Cincy with 1+ acre. Is there a reason for both? If one is more flexible we can help you narrow to a couple communities and start targeting some ideal neighborhoods.

Offhand though the only place I can think of that would meet all your criteria is some of the old build rural style subdivisions in Liberty Twp, like Carson Drive, lynch lane, Becky drive, etc. These development types are few and far between, and even fewer have enough land for you. Monroe might also be a good option, but keep AK et al in mind. Lots of pollution there!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 PM

9 posts, read 7,467 times
I've been looking a ton in liberty but the price tag scares me off usually. I think I have to accept I gotta pay or compromise to real country.

I'm looking at 252 now.

I guess I want the best of both worlds, not asking for 5 acres either. Want a small farm but want good location without getting too pricey, but that statement alone is silly. Can't have it all.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Yeah 252 would not be a bad option but that 45 minutes to downtown Cincy is questionable at best.

Oxford area (Talawanda Schools) are closer, but still 1 hour from downtown Cincy.

If you're just looking to have big city amenities within reasonable distance and aren't necessarily tied to Cincinnati, maybe look more heavily at Trenton and points north, like Germantown. These options put you within 25 minutes of Hamilton and 45 minutes of downtown Dayton, which offers a fair amount in its own right. If that would be of interest I can fill you in more on the Dayton metro.

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Why is this so hard? 252 is 45 minutes to Cincinnati. Downtown Cincinnati. Look between Okeana and Brookville. Go out there and knock on doors. Say you want 3 acres with or without a house. You have $0k to spend. Build your own on your land. Some contractor will be tickled pink to build you a real nice house out there. Or put in two double wides. You are not going to find a perfect farm house anyway. I'd build a ranch. It will cost you $100 per square foot and it will be nice at that price. It will save you money in the long run anyway.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Why is this so hard? 252 is 45 minutes to Cincinnati. Downtown Cincinnati. Look between Okeana and Brookville. Go out there and knock on doors. Say you want 3 acres with or without a house. You have $0k to spend. Build your own on your land. Some contractor will be tickled pink to build you a real nice house out there. Or put in two double wides. You are not going to find a perfect farm house anyway. I'd build a ranch. It will cost you $100 per square foot and it will be nice at that price. It will save you money in the long run anyway.
Edit:

Why is this so hard? 252 is 45 minutes to Cincinnati. Downtown Cincinnati. Look between Okeana and Brookville. Go out there and knock on doors. Say you want 3 acres with or without a house. You have $40k to spend. Build your own on your land. Some contractor will be tickled pink to build you a real nice house out there. Or put in two double wides. You are not going to find a perfect farm house anyway. I'd build a ranch. It will cost you $100 per square foot and it will be nice at that price. It will save you money in the long run anyway.

I guess $0 to spend would not get the attention of any of those farmers out there.

But, seriously, you are looking for something that does not exist, i.e. a three acre farm. They don't come with three acres because it is not enough to make anything but a hobby. And, farm folks do not want a hobby. If they are not farming, for the most part, they are done with it. They want a cul d sac and sidewalks. So, you are going to have to create your own.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Edit:

Why is this so hard? 252 is 45 minutes to Cincinnati. Downtown Cincinnati. Look between Okeana and Brookville. Go out there and knock on doors. Say you want 3 acres with or without a house. You have $40k to spend. Build your own on your land. Some contractor will be tickled pink to build you a real nice house out there. Or put in two double wides. You are not going to find a perfect farm house anyway. I'd build a ranch. It will cost you $100 per square foot and it will be nice at that price. It will save you money in the long run anyway.

I guess $0 to spend would not get the attention of any of those farmers out there.

But, seriously, you are looking for something that does not exist, i.e. a three acre farm. They don't come with three acres because it is not enough to make anything but a hobby. And, farm folks do not want a hobby. If they are not farming, for the most part, they are done with it. They want a cul d sac and sidewalks. So, you are going to have to create your own.
Wilson... That makes more sense. It makes even more sense to say forget the 3-acre farm idea. Particularly when you want city amenities such as water and sewer and commute distances to certain points. If you go and create your own 3-acre farm what have you got? With increasing time you will be lucky if you can maintain a chicken coop on it.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM

Yeah in butler co you are allowed to have a max of one cow (or one horse) on a three acre plot assuming no additional zoning restrictions.

Wilson's idea is not a bad one but if you are set on downtown Cincinnati you will have to carefully watch your distance. Downtown to Colerain Lowes, Walmart, etc. north of 275 is just over 30 min. Oxford is 1 hr. Millville (edge of Hamilton, on 129 which turns into 252 in Indiana) is barely shy of 45 min. You don't have much room for play, and even with that most likely you won't get into IN 252.

So to put it simply, sacrifice one of those two commutes. If downtown Cincy is NOT a commute, then forget it! Move further north and get your city lights in Dayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati