Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

Appreciate any help you can give. I've seen similar answers, but they tend to be from a few years ago.

We are considering a move from STL to Cincinnati area for a new job.
We've looked online and just from the initial searches, we like Terrace Park or Mason (primarily for schools & safety). But want to know what current residents recommend and if we should consider anything in KY?

Details about us and our search:
Husband: Will be the one with the new job in Downtown Cinci (willing to have up to 30 min commute)
Me: Work from home, but fly frequently to NY office (I'm ok with up to 30 mile drive to airport.)

Important to us:
Extremely good schools (would be extra bonus to have great theater program)
Safety

Also like close proximity (5-10 minutes) to:
Grocery stores
Restaurants
Movies
Golf

House:
Would need at least 3 bedrooms, 2 baths
Some type of yard (2 dogs, but they currently have .35 acre here)

Approximate budget: Would rather stay about $400-$500k, but can go up to $600k.

Thank you and look forward to reading your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
Terrace Park should meet all your criteria. You won't get downtown from mason in 30 mins during rush hour and the airport is a good 35 miles+ from Mason.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Your two initial commented areas have only one thing in common, good schools.

Terrace park and adjacent Mariemont are the same schools. Neither has much in the way of shopping, Terrace Park virtually none. Terrace Park is a very reasonable commute to downtown and also drive to the airport. I spent the first half of my life in nearby Madeira and am quite familiar with Terrace Park. If you join the local Terrace Park Country Club golf is taken care of. Otherwise it is a trek to either private or in particular public courses. For shopping the trip to Kenwood Towne Center is in order.

Mason is where I live and moved to from Madeira. Initially I had a 30 minute commute to Norwood. I would consider downtown at least 40 minutes on the good side. The drive to the airport is closer to an hour, though I did it frequently for many years with a lot of air travel involved in my job. Mason is surrounded by shopping with more being built every day. There are 3 private golf courses either in or near Mason and the city owned Golf Center. The schools are top notch and the environment very pleasant.

But frankly, if in your circumstance, I would be looking in Blue Ash. Very good city amenities including the city owned Blue Ash Golf Course and the Rec Center, top rated Sycamore Schools, good commute times to downtown, and right next to Kenwood Towne Center shopping galore.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Consider Ft. Mitchell in Kentucky, with its highly rated Beechwood School District. Alternatively, Ft. Thomas, Ky., also with good schools but a slightly longer commute to downtown Cincinnati. Both communities have housing options available that are similar in age, feel and price to Terrace Park, although they do lack the compact size and high status/prestige. And don't be put off by stereotypes you may have about Kentucky, because the three northern Kentucky counties adjacent to greater Cincinnati are pretty much indistinguishable in every respect from the areas across the river on the Ohio side. Having lived in both states, I can tell you that the overall quality of state government is probably better in Kentucky, and taxes may be lower.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
^^ Fort Mitchell Country Club is a delightful place. And, while I agree with the observations above, one must consider the politics of relocation. Terrace Park is heavily identified as a P&G suburb. And, if the H is a P&G transferee, he will want to stick with the stereotypical expectations of others regardless of whether they make sense. Its that kind of place. Finally, I doubt that the commute from Ft. Thomas is any longer than from Ft. Mitchell. Both are closer than TP or Mason.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
I vote for Montgomery.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 10,583 times
Thank you for all of the comments.
Glad to know that KY should be a consideration as well.

Is Wyoming a consideration? It seems to have very good schools, but safety is a very big concern for us as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemabelle4 View Post
Thank you for all of the comments.
Glad to know that KY should be a consideration as well.

Is Wyoming a consideration? It seems to have very good schools, but safety is a very big concern for us as well.

Wyoming has loyal and vocal supporters. you will no doubt hear from them. I have lived in Cincinnati for 6 decades and find Wyoming to be very undesirable. It is on the industrial flood plain of the Millcreek Valley, one of the most polluted aquifers in the US. It is surrounded by really bad areas, and divided smack down the middle by a major north to south four lane commuter route, and east to west by a road from one horrible neighborhood to another. Houses are way more expensive than similar houses elsewhere. There are no restaurants or shopping to speak of. Other than that its perfectly fine.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
Interesting that my philosophical and political adversary wilson513 didn't toot the horn for Hyde Park! The mention of a "great theater program" in the public schools is why I'm bringing it up instead. Cincinnati's system is a mixed bag - to say the least - but one of its crown jewels is the School for Creative and Performing Arts. It's now in a zillion-dollar building all its own close by Music Hall in the warp-speed gentrifying Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, and has the very rare distinction of having parents from outside the district pay tuition for the privilege of their children's attending. Hyde Park, sometimes known pejoratively - not without reason - as "Hype Park" and "Snide Park," is a series of inviting enclaves bordering on a bustling public square with plenty of cutesy as well as practical stores and places to eat and/or drink. Events like farmers' markets and art shows take place there during warmer weather. In addition to the nearby Cincinnati and Hyde Park Country Clubs, there is a large municipal recreation area with plenty of basketball and tennis courts which sees heavy use. Home prices rarely go far below $300k and not infrequently reach into the millions "depending on where you are." And, getting back - briefly - to the significant issue of schools, Hyde Park's historic community school has reopened but from what I hear is at least somewhat "academically selective." The main drawback is what lies in wait if the offspring decide not to go to SCPA, or don't pass the entrance exam for the academic powerhouse known as Walnut Hills High School.

Now that Wyoming has been brought up... "Some people" here on C-D as well as in real life raise an eyebrow over perceived safety issues because of its being situated close by much less affluent communities (Lockland, Woodlawn, Valleydale aka Springfield Township East, Cincinnati's Hartwell neighborhood, and - increasingly - Finneytown aka Springfield Township Central.) The real story is that the police force has it pretty easy. Generally they watch for OUI's and answer false burglar alarms - and on the weekends they may be called to break up overly energetic teen keg parties. By the same token they're known for their vigilance, something I can attest to for the right reasons , and the "bad guys" know this too. On the negative side, the community's reputation for snobbery isn't exactly undeserved and it's the kind of place where suburban boredom doesn't necessarily know age boundaries. (All of two establishments, along the same stretch of the same street, so much as serve alcoholic beverages!) Plus some of the most eye-popping "antique" houses also happen to be well within earshot of a heavily used rail line. The schools are OUTSTANDING, however, and the newly made-over and expanded Middle School is nearing its ribbon-cutting. Even with the construction mess on I-75 a half-hour would be ample time for a commute most days.
Yes, I was raised there (no news to most readers) and would be glad to get super-specific via DM.

None of the other places brought up should be ruled out, either. In addition, Anderson Township (east-side suburb bordering 275) with its none-too-shabby schools might bear a look.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,545,010 times
Agreed GG...Hyde Park and Mt Lookout would be as safe as Terrace Park or Mason, but would give you more direct access to the best performing arts academy in the region.

OP, don't let your fears limit your options. Generally, Cincinnati is very safe and you don't have to venture into the 'burbs to be quite secure and still be close to all of the amenities of the city, plus a very short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati