Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,603 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering attending Xavier in Cincinnati. I'm somewhat concerned with the crime in Cincinnati, though. I read another thread on here about UC and it seemed like it's a pretty dangerous situation there. I've visited Xavier multiple times and I think the campus seems isolated. Is that your perception? I guess that could be good or bad. I'm from the suburbs of Louisville so I'm not really accustomed to urban life or crime. Where are some areas to avoid? There's a neighborhood that my family drove through that was very pretty called N Avondale but it seemed to change quickly. Is that area safe? I appreciate all your thoughts and insights. I just feel like this is one last thing holding me back from committing to Xavier 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Unlike UC, Xavier provides housing for all freshmen and thereafter for most undergrads. On campus housing is very very safe at Xavier. The residential area around Xavier is not great, but nothing like UC. And, there is no crime wave over at Xavier like there is at UC. So, come on up to Xavier and feel confident as to safety.

By the way, Xavier is a real community campus with stuff going on constantly for students. And, there are almost no non-students hanging around unlike many schools. I'm sure you will like it.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Ah, Xavier. I'm a UD sympathizer so for me Xavier is the enemy haha.

You are right that it's isolated , but I believe a campus area is currently being built. Others can probably elaborate more there. I assume any nightlife is in Clifton, and that there are many on-campus activities. I've also heard it's much more devoutly religious than places like Notre Dame, UD, Georgetown, etc. More akin to John Carroll maybe in that sense.

Otherwise, I'll be following this thread closely as well. I know little about Xavier, aside from *cough* Xavier being not as good as UD at basketball *cough* but I'm interested in finding out more!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
Dangerous? I never heard of a UC student ever getting killed.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Cold Case Unit » Butler County Sheriff's Office

Abducted on Calhoun street before Thanksgiving 1977. Found in Butler County three months later.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:13 AM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Xavier's plenty safe. They're also building a large shopping center with new bars and coffee shops along Dana Ave towards Montgomery Road. Plus if you like beer, you'll be right next to Listermanns!

Most Xavier students who live off campus move to large old houses divided into apartments in Norwood.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:15 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Kindly don't try to derail the thread, even if you don't consider armed robbery "dangerous." It's a safe bet most of the rest of us do.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 AM

114 posts, read 228,876 times
Not sure why people are agreeing that XU seems "isolated". I guess in terms of walking it is a little but if you have a car or take the XU shuttle you are only 5 minutes from Surrey Square (Kroger, Chipotle, Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Wendys, KFC, Pizza, Chinese), 10 minutes from "Center of Cincinnati" (Meijer, Target, Sams Club, and the new giant Kroger that is under construction) and 10 minutes from Rookwood (basically every normal mall store - Old Navy, Gap, etc). There are also numerous bars/restaurants on Montgomery in Norwood and nearby in Hyde Park/Oakley.

I would argue that XU is actually closer than UC to everything you need since most UC students would have to go to Rookwood for typical mall shopping.

Anyway, XU is a great school. I graduated 10 years ago (times flies) and always felt safe

Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
When we say "isolated" I think we mean that the student housing areas are not on the way to or from anywhere. One has to go to a campus entrance and enter and the only thing there is the dorm or other student facility. That is the design that makes urban campuses safe. But, when non-students pass through a campus or student housing, things get a little sketchier. That is the problem with UC. Every thug has as much right to be on the streets with UC off-campus housing as the students do. And, UC off-campus housing is on the way between every manner of foot and vehicle traffic from one bad neighborhood to another.

Not so at Xavier. It is isolated in the same way that a cul d' sac neighborhood is.

But, as stated above, very convenient to amenities.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 AM

114 posts, read 228,876 times
Ok, I agree on that definition of "isolated".

I once drove by UD Mercy in Detroit and they literally have a fence that surrounds the campus. XU is kind of like that except instead of a fence there are either parking lots or academic buildings that basically surround the quads and open areas where everyone is walking between class, etc.

Also, unlike lots of the housing at UC, many of the XU off campus housing is intermingled with regular Norwood residents who I think keep a better eye on what's going on around the neighborhood as compared to a bunch of college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati